Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I've been very interested in seeing both this and the BB PlayBook, for myself.

My dad and my brother-in-law both got NookColors (which we rooted for Android) for Christmas, just because $250 for the quality of the hardware+accessories and how thin the thing is was hard to beat in that range. On the go, they're both using them tethered to their smartphones. It's a neat little alternative while some of the prices on the other stuff settle themselves.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
The Xoom should be pretty gnarly, it's a Tegra 2 based tablet... Not sure about the external modem bit, that seems a bit strange considering Moto said they'd be announcing LTE Android hardware(in those words, as in, not just phones) at CES...

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Should be pretty cool. The Droid X is a hot phone. If this is a tablet version, it'll be impressive. It'd be nice if they offered it without a contract tie-in. I've got the wifi only iPad, and have never found myself wanting or needing 3G. Wifi is perfectly fine for my needs.

Good to see they chose 10" though. The Galaxy Tab, though being nice hardware, is pretty useless for a lot of the stuff I use my iPad for.

Also, Swype has merit on a phone, but it's fucking retarded on a 7"+ tablet. IMO. Just sayin'.

EDIT

"Xoom" might possibly an even worse name than "iPad". Luckily I don't really care about product names anyway, but wow. Dumb name is dumb.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Sorry but nothing is worse than iPad.
Sorry, but Xoom is at least on the same level. Both are utterly retarded names for cool products.

And like I said, if the Xoom is tied to Verizon or other mobile carrier and they don't offer a wifi-only model, I will find the person responsible and kick them in the speed bag. You know that seam in the middle? Split with my boot. Seriously, not everyone wants yet another $25-$30 a month fee.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
I have had an ipad for a few weeks and I still don't understand why anyone would buy that piece of shit :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Wirelessly posted (iDevice of Awesomeness: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Kagami said:
I have had an ipad for a few weeks and I still don't understand why anyone would buy that piece of shit :lol:
Why anyone would buy the iPad? There are lots of reasons. I can:

Browse the Internet, do email
Work on spreadsheets and word Docs
Take notes in class
Play games
Watch movies
Edit my blog
RDP/VNC/SSH into any computer on my networks
Listen to music
Stream Hulu, Netflix, and ABC
Play guitar through it.
Connect a midi controller to it and use it for sequencing
Record up to 24 tracks, use it a lot for demos
Arrange songs
Read books
Read the news
Access work network from anywhere and work on documents using Citrix XenApp

Does that make it more clear?

I'm not saying these things are the exclusive realm of the iPad. Most of that can be done on an Android tablet too, including Citrix, which works great.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
how is the citrix app for it anyway, I was talking to a client who was thinking about trying it out

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
how is the citrix app for it anyway, I was talking to a client who was thinking about trying it out
Fantastic. We're deploying several more of the 3G iPads this year. I still like the iOS version of it better than the Android version, however Ive not tried it on a Tab yet. The right-click on the iOS version works a little better.

·
Argh
2,658 Posts
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9700/5.0.0.351 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/245)

I don't totally understand the need for these tablets yet as to me, a noob, they don't seem like a legitimate step up from a good smartphone, eg. iPhone 4. :shrug:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)darren:phone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Apple should have capitalized on the whole computing-while-taking-a-dump market.

·
IN THE FAAACE!
1,247 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)darren:phone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Apple should have capitalized on the whole computing-while-taking-a-dump market.
I thought they did, I grab my ipod touch every time I need to pinch one off.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9700/5.0.0.351 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/245)

I don't totally understand the need for these tablets yet as to me, a noob, they don't seem like a legitimate step up from a good smartphone, eg. iPhone 4. :shrug:
It's still a niche thing but a lot of people use them as a supplement for a laptop or PC. In my dad's case, he usually has to bring home his work laptop every night, which means laptop+charger+case and having to pack it up every morning/night. The battery life->portability->power->remote access to his work files make it so that he can just pickup the sleeve with the tablet in there and bring it home to do most of his work, without much he can't do.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
It reminds me of Sony Xplode products. :lol:
Maybe that's why I hate the name! :lol: I'm not sure how good the Sony XPlode stuff is/was (I'm not into car audio) but I sure thought the name was dumb.

Well, the iPad (and presumably the Xoom) are basically giant smart phones, which is what makes them so useful. More screen real estate + generally more power, without the heft of even the lightest notebooks.

The iPad is awesome because the iPod touch is awesome, IMO. The bigger size just makes it more useful for all the things I've already outlined.

I thought they did, I grab my ipod touch every time I need to pinch one off.
Indeed sir. I grab my iPT all the time. Some of my best work is done whilest pinching off sewer snakes.

It's still a niche thing but a lot of people use them as a supplement for a laptop or PC. In my dad's case, he usually has to bring home his work laptop every night, which means laptop+charger+case and having to pack it up every morning/night. The battery life->portability->power->remote access to his work files make it so that he can just pickup the sleeve with the tablet in there and bring it home to do most of his work, without much he can't do.
This. I have a 13" MBP at home that I try to keep void of all work shit. I just don't want it on here. However I have a 15" MBP for work, that's plugged into a hub, network, audio, monitor, USB, and power.

Instead of packing that up every night, I just carry my iPad with me everywhere in a backpack (along with a Canon SD1200 at all times) and I always have access to work stuff if needed. Even with the BT keyboard (which I actually rarely carry with me) it's still lighter than pretty much any netbook, or even the MacBook Air.

It's also nice for traveling, because it doesn't need to come out of the case like a laptop does for TSA, and it fits comfortably on a tray table.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
I got to play with a Galaxy Tab yesterday... And I came to the realization... Jeff is right, 7" is too small :lol: The damned thing was literally just a big phone, I'm not a fan of the Galaxy Tab now after using one. Here's hoping Honeycomb makes for a better tablet experience. This also makes the Xoom even more interesting to me since it's 10".

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I got to play with a Galaxy Tab yesterday... And I came to the realization... Jeff is right, 7" is too small :lol: The damned thing was literally just a big phone, I'm not a fan of the Galaxy Tab now after using one. Here's hoping Honeycomb makes for a better tablet experience. This also makes the Xoom even more interesting to me since it's 10".
See! Told ya! My dislike of the Tab had ZERO to do with Android; it runs very well on it, appeared quite stable. However the 7" screen is too narrow to two hand type in landscape, and vertically it's so bad you just have to type with your thumbs, ala smart phone.

Which means you might as well just pick up a nice 4"+ Android phone and call it a day.

I think the Xoom, wisely going for the 10" form factor and hopefully being upgradable to the true Android tablet OS (3.0), will be a really nice unit, if the Droid X is anything to judge by.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
See! Told ya! My dislike of the Tab had ZERO to do with Android; it runs very well on it, appeared quite stable. However the 7" screen is too narrow to two hand type in landscape, and vertically it's so bad you just have to type with your thumbs, ala smart phone.

Which means you might as well just pick up a nice 4"+ Android phone and call it a day.

I think the Xoom, wisely going for the 10" form factor and hopefully being upgradable to the true Android tablet OS (3.0), will be a really nice unit, if the Droid X is anything to judge by.
Actually, I found it a bit laggy, not very smooth, especially when browsing. My Droid X puts the Galaxy Tab to shame...

Xoom is supposed to launch with Honeycomb

1 - 20 of 36 Posts