Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
abides
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi dudes,

The tones on Andy Timmon's CD Resolution are some of the best that have graced my ears, and I ever since getting the Axe-FX I've been meaning to give a proper shot at nailing it (I tried soon after getting the Axe and it got positive feedback but in retrospect it was a long way off). Anyway, without further ado, hear is me hacking a couple of sections from two tracks from Resolution. Go easy on me - it's been a long while since I last tried playing these tunes and these are just quick one-takers done without a click:

http://soundcloud.com/nolly/andy-timmons-resolution-tone-test

The guitar is my Blackmachine B2 with a pair of Bare Knuckle Mule pickups. I've got the tone knob rolled back a touch, and for The Prayer/The Answer I rolled back to volume knob to begin with, then gradually opened it up to about 9.

As promised, here's the patch:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/790683/Nolly's Timmons tone#1.syx

There's 0 post-processing on the clip at all. The tone isn't absolutely 100% spot on, but it's close enough for now :)

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
That's sounds awesome and that's probably as close to his tone as anyone is going to get. :yesway:

The more I hear this fucking Axe-FX the more I want one. :mad:

·
Argh
2,658 Posts
That tone is absolutely amazing, I really can't believe just how close you got. My GAS for an AXE-FX has gone through the roof now. Your clips like these prove that it isn't just a 'djent-box' and that it really can do any type of tone you want.

Really good playing as well, although that's a given.

·
abides
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the lovely comments chaps :metal:

Joel, really cool to hear these clips have impacted on you like that. I think it's fair to say that the potential of the Axe-FX is only really limited by the user, but it is certainly far from a "plug-and-play" style device. :)

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Sounds great, very close to the original - perhaps a bit more compressed than AT, but great all the same.

·
Argh
2,658 Posts
Thanks for the lovely comments chaps :metal:

Joel, really cool to hear these clips have impacted on you like that. I think it's fair to say that the potential of the Axe-FX is only really limited by the user, but it is certainly far from a "plug-and-play" style device. :)
You put just what my worst fears were. The potential of the device is limited by the user. I have a feeling I would limit it's potential a LOT :lol:

·
abides
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hahah, well, how about looking at it this way - it gives you the potential to get 100% professional and realistic sounding tones, all you need to do is spend time working with it.

To be honest, it's not more difficult or time-consuming than learning to capture equally good tones with a real amp and mic. Personally, I'd rather play around with some parameters on screen with my guitar in my lap, rather than having to
persevere with the "get up, move a mic a few millimeters, settle down with the guitar, hit a few notes, repeat" process of dialling in a mic'd amp without an assistant. (Let along having the inconvenience of a deafeningly loud tube amp blaring away the whole time - in this case the Trainwreck amp sim I used had the "master" on 9. In real life that would have been like having an aircraft taking off next to you)

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Nolly, your phrasing is out of this world. Get a job... Another one. Just... something to make you stop getting any better.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
That IS pretty damned close, especally considering the different guitars and pickups.

I'm with Keith, it's a HAIR more compressed and saturated, I think, and it's a little buzzier and hairier than the album tone. I think yours is also a bit clearer in the bass, while his bass notes tend to sag a little more. Finally, his is definitely not this dry.

All that said, this is nit picking - My first thought was, "Wow, that sounds like Andy Timmons," and I had to go A/B it against the album to make sure I could tell it apart. :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts