Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Couldn't happen to a nicer dude, and if it's anything like his prototype, that'll be a SICK guitar.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Reverse 7-string Strathead FTMFW :metal:

·
Turd Furguson
1,847 Posts
I really want one of these. The new Charvels are fantastic and Angel is such and awesome guy.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
That's great sounding, good for him :)

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
It kills me a little inside knowing it's basswood.

:facemelt:

·
\m/ Tits & Beer \m/
1,150 Posts
Aww thank you guys!

I feel like I grew a new back my MG.org hymen and I'm re-popping it.... hurts so good. :wub:

It kills me a little inside knowing it's basswood.

:facemelt:
LOL! I think alder or mahogany is next in line for a future model. Been digging alder a lot in my DK24 and my first prototype we built was mahogany... love the tone of it but holy jiggling titty christ was that proto was HEAVY.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Aww thank you guys!

I feel like I grew a new back my MG.org hymen and I'm re-popping it.... hurts so good. :wub:

LOL! I think alder or mahogany is next in line for a future model. Been digging alder a lot in my DK24 and my first prototype we built was mahogany... love the tone of it but holy jiggling titty christ was that proto was HEAVY.
YUS2.

Yeah, I'm sure there are a few quality instruments out there made of basswood, but it's been thrown in soooooo many low-range guitars that it's spoiled what maybe could be awesome.

That body looks upsized for the 7th string, you'll probably want to chamber it to get the weight down!

·
Bowes Guitars
1,958 Posts
YUS2.

Yeah, I'm sure there are a few quality instruments out there made of basswood, but it's been thrown in soooooo many low-range guitars that it's spoiled what maybe could be awesome.
Honestly for me, basswood is one of the go-to woods. Sure it doesnt' look good unfinished, but it's stable.

I look at mahogany the same way a lot of people look at basswood because it's used in every Gibson guitar (which is why I've only built one guitar with it.). Not going down the tonewood conversation.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Honestly for me, basswood is one of the go-to woods. Sure it doesnt' look good unfinished, but it's stable.

I look at mahogany the same way a lot of people look at basswood because it's used in every Gibson guitar (which is why I've only built one guitar with it.). Not going down the tonewood conversation.
I think they're all better at different things. Basswood just works for the solo guitar artist, since it has a ton of midrange and everything is rounded off (not boomy, not a ton of cut). I love how all those shredders get fat, round, musical sounding single note lines. However, I've seen a lot of guys playing basswood get buried in two guitar bands where the other guys is playing something different. Alder works great for thrash, since it has a lot of attack and tracks really well. Mahogany is awesome for slamming a power chord and just feeling it swallow you; so much girth.

I bet half of what you don't like about the Gibson sound is the mahogany neck. The maple necked 70s Les Pauls sounds completely different, and if we're being honest, neck wood is more of the tone than the body. Especially on neck thrus.

·
Bowes Guitars
1,958 Posts
I bet half of what you don't like about the Gibson sound is the mahogany neck. The maple necked 70s Les Pauls sounds completely different, and if we're being honest, neck wood is more of the tone than the body. Especially on neck thrus.
You're probably right. I really can't dig on mahogany as a neck. That being said, my buds 80's Les Paul is still one of the most beastly guitars I've heard.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Aww thank you guys!

Welcome back, buddy, good to see your name around here again. :D

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
When a lot of people say that don't like basswood, it's probably based on playing an Ibanez RG. With those paper-thin necks, there's not enough edge to their sound. Other basswood guitars I've played with bigger necks sound great.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts