Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this laptop, right? It's an HP... came preloaded with all of their typical trial crap on it, some which it wouldn't let me remove easily. I need to reformat the thing, but of course they don't give you the damn Windows disc with the damn thing.

I'm leery of downloading a copy from bittorent. Anyone know of a way to get a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit? I've got the product key and everything so I'd like to do it legitimately.

Hell, they don't even give driver discs anymore. :(

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Stupid Motorola Backflip: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; MB300 Build/Blur_Version.0.13.37.MB300.ATT.en.US Flex/P014) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Yeah, if you call and ask for a disc, they must give you one by law. If you got the laptop new and it came with Windows, part of the price you paid was for your own copy of Windows. I had a hard drive failure on my old Dell and needed to reinstall Windows. The machine was even out of warranty, but they still had to give me my disc.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
technically, you paid for an OEM license of windows, which is up to their discretion as wether or not all that shits included :/

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
If the computer comes with a legitimate Windows license, can you not call HP or Microsoft to get a disc?
MS won't give you a license, and if you order disks from HP, all they'll sell you for like $20 is the recover disks with all of the same shit on it, not a barebones Windows 7 install.

This is the lovely nature of Windows machines.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Yeah, this is a major annoyance...

If you have the license and just want to torrent the media then there is no real problem that I can see with that. I've done it before in a pinch with no issues.

What problems are you having getting rid of the preinstalled nonsense? Have you tried booting into safemode?

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, this is a major annoyance...

If you have the license and just want to torrent the media then there is no real problem that I can see with that. I've done it before in a pinch with no issues.

What problems are you having getting rid of the preinstalled nonsense? Have you tried booting into safemode?
I haven't tried safemode. After the initial failure to remove HP's System Assistant (it freezes during the uninstall process.. and was giving me a 99% CPU usage reading). I gave up and figured I'd just redo the whole thing. I've been putting up with it for a while, but now that I've actually got some time, I figured I'd give fixing it a shot again.

Official links used for sites that sell only licenses, with no discs.

Download Windows 7 ISO (Official 32-bit and 64-bit Direct Download Links) My Digital Life
+rep for you!

EDIT: Or maybe not until I spread some rep around :(

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
They'll install Windows 7 fine, which is the point. (Avoiding potentially unsafe torrent versions)

And I'm pretty sure he can still activate through the phone if the ISO doesn't match up with the key that he has.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
They'll install Windows 7 fine, which is the point. (Avoiding potentially unsafe torrent versions)

And I'm pretty sure he can still activate through the phone if the ISO doesn't match up with the key that he has.
Yeah, he'll need to call, and hopefully they won't give him shit. If so, just call back and get someone else. :lol:

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
You sadly have an OEM copy and any old copy of Win7 wont do. You have to have the HP OEM copy :( I know because I did exactly what you are thinking of and it wont activate after install.

You didnt hear this from me but if you call MicroShaft and bitch enough they will give you a new product code that is for the retail copy ;)

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You sadly have an OEM copy and any old copy of Win7 wont do. You have to have the HP OEM copy :( I know because I did exactly what you are thinking of and it wont activate after install.

You didnt hear this from me but if you call MicroShaft and bitch enough they will give you a new product code that is for the retail copy ;)
*sigh* it was so much easier when XP was their new OS. Times have definitely changed.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Yeah, he'll need to call, and hopefully they won't give him shit. If so, just call back and get someone else. :lol:
I had to call with the xp pro disk i got from Dell

PITA (Indian call center :rant: )

IIRC HP and dell now both have recovery partitions that contain all of their pre installed bloat and will install of of that on recovery disks (you cant actually make a vanilla OS install disk)

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had to call with the xp pro disk i got from Dell

PITA (Indian call center :rant: )

IIRC HP and dell now both have recovery partitions that contain all of their pre installed bloat and will install of of that on recovery disks (you cant actually make a vanilla OS install disk)
Dell will actually sell you a copy of their OEM version for a pretty small fee... At least they do if you're buying 20 machines at a time :lol:. I basically got a kind "go fuck yourself" from HP :squint:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Dell will actually sell you a copy of their OEM version for a pretty small fee... At least they do if you're buying 20 machines at a time :lol:. I basically got a kind "go fuck yourself" from HP :squint:
Dell is a lot better in this regard, if you buy their business machines.

Most Hp laptops that I have come across these days has a "Recovery" partition which you can boot from during start up. It should work unless you manually removed it.
Even the business HP machines now have the recovery partition, but it still pre-loads it back with all the crap it came with; not a fresh install of the OS.

I generally tell people that if they insist upon buying a cheap Windows machine, that's fine, but plan on an extra $100-$130 for an OEM fresh copy of Windows. Unless they :wub: bloatware shit. You'd be amazed how much better a crappy $500 Toshiba + $99 copy of Windows 7 Home Premium runs than the stock install.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts