Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Seriously - that an annual thing? Just prep for cold temps or arbitrarily once a year?

·
Parental Advisory
288 Posts
I lemon oil the boards every string change, but that's in an environment with high temperature/humidity variations.

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Seriously - that an annual thing? Just prep for cold temps or arbitrarily once a year?
I'd say oil your rosewood boards whenever they look pale and dry. Like Tibernius, I do it every string change, just 'cause, but it doesn't need to be too frequently.

It probably makes very little difference to the guitar, but it looks cool and it's quite therapeutic to do!

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Out here my boards hold up pretty well so I do them maybe once a year which is about how often I change strings. :lol: Then again, my main players have maple(roasted and birdseye with a coating) and richlite boards so it's not really necessary.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
I've been using lemon oil, but only when I do the initial "purchase" cleaning or I feel like the rosewood looks dry. I haven't used it yet on the Banshee 7 only because I've only changed the strings once - I'll probably hit it next string change "just because."

But I thought I would ask the follow-up because I didn't know whether the cold temps had anything to do with it.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been using lemon oil, but only when I do the initial "purchase" cleaning or I feel like the rosewood looks dry. I haven't used it yet on the Banshee 7 only because I've only changed the strings once - I'll probably hit it next string change "just because."

But I thought I would ask the follow-up because I didn't know whether the cold temps had anything to do with it.
Colder seasons = dry air = loob that shit up. :jj:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Colder seasons = dry air = loob that shit up. :jj:
Unless you're music room is highly controlled for temperature and humidity. :)

That being said, I use a bit of oil when I change the strings. Doesn't hurt, and looks good.

·
glass enthusiast
1,665 Posts
Should do that every restring really, although when I set up the RGD that was the first time I used/needed to use lemon oil since my area is basically a bog. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Unless you're music room is highly controlled for temperature and humidity. :)
Unless you have a fuckin' humidor for them in your house, you should oil the damn fretboard anyway you cheap fucker. :lol:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
My guitars are probably due. I should time it for when Phil is in town so he can take some "for sale" pics for me :lol:

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
It probably makes very little difference to the guitar, but it looks cool and it's quite therapeutic to do!
If the wood gets too dehydrated it can shrink, resulting in fret movement and buckling and all sorts of nasties! So it's definitely more important than just an aesthetic thing I reckon! But only in its extremes, generally it's ok to leave for quite a while.

Another thing to consider is if you play a lot and gig a lot, keeping it well oiled stops it absorbing your gross sweat and hand-cheese, and it comes off a lot easier.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts