Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's another old (2003) song that I almost completely rerecorded over the last two months. It didn't fit on the Molten Ghosts EP since it's not metal. I'm now releasing pop and straightforward rock stuff under my own name.

https://christopheroberst.bandcamp.com/track/sincere-flattery

Only the bass and the "wakka-wakka" guitar (from a Behringer V-Amp preset!) are left from the original. I also rewrote the melodies in the chorus, which I think turned out pretty damned good.

Rhythm guitars - Les Paul and Tele
Melodies/harmonies - Soloist Jr. with the original Jackson pickups
Solo - yellow Soloist Pro with EMG 81
Acoustic - Godin A12 acoustic/electric through 3Sigma "Gibson Hummingbird" IR.
Bass and "wakka-wakka" guitar - too long ago to remember!

All guitars except the lead during the second breakdown are going through Neural DSP's Archetype Nolly VST.

I've been auditioning a couple more of Neural's plugins since they're having a great sale at the moment (I already had Plini and Parallax). My first reaction on firing up Nolly's VST was "meh." Neural makes great plugins but they (and their artists, apparently) make shit presets.

All of the presets in the Nolly plugin (including his own) were either goofy crap or were beset with too much midrange thickness and sounded dull. I was thinking "Nolly can't really be using these tones in his mixes, can he?". Maybe this pensive photo of him from the Neural site that Garrett loves so much is him struggling to come up with a half-decent preset:

Anyway, there was also a certain graininess to the Nolly sounds that was offputting in isolation. However, I decided to try it on the guitars on "Sincere Flattery" before giving up on it, and I'm glad I did.

Getting some decent mic positioning and blends in the cab sim section fixed the EQ problems, and those "grainy" tones sound fantastic in a mix. They sound more convincing in this kind of music than the smoother tones that the Plini plugin produces.

Guess I'm buying the Nolly plugin, now. Good thing it's on sale.

·
Bah. I still suck.
1,323 Posts
Satriani vibe going on for me :yesway:

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Satriani vibe going on for me :yesway:
Yep. That's where the song title comes from--"imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"... :lol:

That wasn't my intent when I wrote it in 2003; it just sort of turned out that way.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Go grab Embertone's "Sensual Saxophone" Kontakt library. It's the best $20 you will ever spend.

It only does one sound. Epic 80s Pop Saxophone. Late 80s, Early 90s roller skating drug lord in miami wearing ray bans and a white suit jacket blowing some cool tunes into his sax.

You were going for that vibe here anyways though, so you need it.

But unless you are doing high brow jazz or classical that's the saxophone sound everyone wants. And you know insert Gilmour or other guitarist quote about how guitar solos, especially with wah, is meant to be a saxophone anyways. Don't remember the interview. It was a guitar world one where he explains why he took up saxophone.

Also, unlike Neural, it doesn't have shitty presets. It has the greatest interface to ever grace a DAW.

It only has one knob. And when you open it it warns you not to turn it all the way up.

Then when you do turn it all the way up.

All the way up isn't a traditional sound though, it's like, a mega distorted metallic resonance synth kinda thing. 45-80% of the way up all covers "that sexy saxophone sound that everyone wants". 90% and up is mega juiced to the point of ridiculous parody. But once again, this is how the plugin opens.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you haven't listened to the song yet, check it out again. I uploaded a new mix replacing the Archetype Nolly plugin with Neural's Omega Ampworks Granophyre vst: https://christopheroberst.bandcamp.com/track/sincere-flattery. I also ended up buying the Granophyre rather than the Nolly plugin during the sale that just ended.

The only guitar tones here that aren't the Granophyre are the lead in the second breakdown and the clean Tele that quietly provides the top end of the rhythm guitar sound. Those are both the Plini plugin.

The mix is also seriously improved, in my opinion, since I was working on some ideas.

Rather oddly for Neural, the launch of the Granophyre plugin early this year wasn't accompanied by much of a slick marketing campaign. **** Thomson is the endorser, and it's based on his own Omega Ampworks amp, which I'd honestly never heard of. His endorsement is sort of an anti-inducement for me, but no matter. The real amp is apparently amazing, and this plugin is fantastic.

https://neuraldsp.com/products/omega-ampworks-granophyre/

It's a single channel amp but is quite versatile, as long as you don't need true cleans. It does low gain crunch better than any plug-in I've tried, though. It just has the right 'texture'. It's also very tight even with scary levels of gain.

The demos are all djenty (big surprise) and most of the presets are silly, but this will do just about any type of hard rock or metal. The only thing it won't really do is '70s vintage Marshall--probably because the modeled speakers (Celestion Creamback M65 and Omega's own VM-1265) are closer to a V30 to my ears and won't quite get that fat Greenback tone. I can go elsewhere for that, though. I'd be curious to try it with a third-party IR to see how that works with it.

This is the real amp, by the way: https://omegaampworks.com/products/iridium-100-watt-all-tube-amplifier

1 - 5 of 5 Posts