1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pics first:

The Tuning/string gauges:

Story:
I recently flipped my old Rosewood stick on ebay to finance this one -- a 12 string model.. Made a sweet 400$ profit over what I originally paid, too! I ordered this one directly from Stick Enterprises.

This stick was built & sold last year, but someone decided they didn't want to play stick anymore, so they sold it back to SE. Its basically new, with a little wear & tear. Less than a year old, too. It has all the modern features, and thanks to the complete setup they gave it, and the extra attention, its as good as new, at a significant savings :yesway:.

Their new models have some pretty bitchin' features over my old one --

-new trussrod design: rather than a regular style guitar truss rod the previous ones had, this one has the truss rod bolted in the middle and a nut at each end. Essentially, it functions as two truss rods: one for the top 8 so frets, and another for the other 9th-23rd.

-New frets: these have giant fucking pyramid frets. They're stainless steel, too.

-The new sticks are 36" scale instead of 34". Its one fret added below the first fret essentially (think like those Baritone conversion necks you can get for bolt on guitars). Fret markers are in the original spot, though, so since you tune down 1/2 step to compensate for the extra fret, all the notes fall on the markers the same way they do on the 34" scale. No big deal since you don't have open strings.

-New nut: These are two shelves, essentially, that can be adjusted vertically with two bolts, rather than an individual nut like the old ones.

My inlays also glow in the dark:

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll have to get used to it first. the two extra strings and having all my finger positions moved up by a fret is totally fucking with me. :lol:

The setup on this thing is insane, though. The action is so low, if i took a pic of it, you couldn't differentiate between the string and the fret. And there's no buzz. :yesway:

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

Do you have any videos?

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

Do you have any videos?
I tried to take some videos of me playing bass along to some Iced Earth songs a while back and it turns out my webcam is a piece of shit, what with it being 6 years old.

Here's a video of someone far better than me playing one:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
That guy is also far less Metal.

Also, fucking awesome guithing!

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Man, looks like a killer instrument... And now I'm curious to try one :lol:

Also, this guy is really into it:

:lol: Even the preview pic, he's just way too into it.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
What's the reason for Stick makers putting the high string tuners opposite? Wind the strings backwards so they go out instead of in? Looks odd...

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
What's the reason for Stick makers putting the high string tuners opposite? Wind the strings backwards so they go out instead of in? Looks odd...
Look at the strings after they cross the nut. Makes it so the string pull is straighter without having to widen the headstock.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, if you wind the strings on the outside for even string pull (as josh mentioned), putting the last two tuners backwards makes it so they all spin the same direction to tighten or loosen strings.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To the best of my knowledge, both of those are completely live. The King Crimson one is a double trio -- Two guitars, two stick players and two drummers.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Tony Levin is a monster bassist/stick player -- dude's done session on over 500 records, plus the king crimson/LTE/etc. stuff.

Do you have to hit the strings HARD AS FUCK to get them to sound off like that?
Nah, you barely have to touch the string at all. The action is immeasurably low, and the pickup is very close to the strings.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts