Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one didn't happen to me though. I was at GC today, picking up a bass and a pile of cables, along with a new SDC mic. This put me in the pro audio section, where I was on the fence between another set of MXL990s and a Sterling ST31 for about 10 minutes, Googling away right by the sales counter. (I ended up with the ST31.)

Anyway, as I'm there, in walks two older women, who walk up to the sales counter and start talking to the clerk. Turns out they know nothing about music at all, but are the mother and aunt of two 10 year old girls. One plays violin, the other plays sax and flute.

They open the conversation with "We have two 10 year old girls, and need a super simple way for them to record themselves playing and put it on the web for their friends". I think that's pretty cool, so my initial (kept to myself) thought was Reaper + a couple of mics and a basic interface. Mom plugs in something like a Firestudio Mobile, Reaper is free, and hey, MXL990's are $75 for two condensers. Make any config you want, but for simple recording for 10 year old kids, there are a billion options out there.

So as I'm pondering my mics and being a fly on the wall, the guy behind the counter recommends.. Pro Tools and an M-Box. :spock: Now, I don't know 10 year old girls as well as JJ does, but it struck me as a little over the top for basically a soccer mom and her two daughters to be recommended a $700 recording package w/PT as a "quick and easy way to record themselves".

So I said as much, politely, which got me two dirty looks from the women and a snide remark by the guy behind the counter about how he's been "Doing this for 30 years". Good on you sport, you've been a counter clerk at a music store for 30 years, and your peer is the 18 year old stoned high school kid next to you. But I digress.

As I was ringing up, they did, indeed, walk out with ProTools. I know that kids today are getting smarter and the average 10 year old kid completely destroys me at Modern Warfare, but if you had a pair of 10 year old daughters, would you get them PT and an MBox for their birthday? Or would you be spending $700 on frustration and aggravation?

I know the GC guys work on commission, and no doubt the dude behind the counter was pissed of that I caught on to him basically suckering two women trying to do something nice for their kids into blowing almost a grand on non-returnable software (they mentioned that they lived "far away").

It struck me as all sorts of dickish, and it's a bummer because when I had my first cheap Tascam 4-track as a kid, I LOVED making my own little recordings, and I stuck with it because it was simple and easy to do. Plug Zoom into this hole, hit record, play with levels, woohoo I'm just like Motley Crue!

Nutshell: Cock employee dupes parents into getting Pro Tools rig for 10 year old kids. :noway:

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
:noplease:

I probably would have argued with that guy. I always warn my friends about this sort of thing when they are looking at buying a new computer; making them aware of marketing hype, and telling them to avoid Best Buy's people like the plague. "My computer is sooo fucked, I think I'm gonna go to the Geek Squad" "ooohhh no you don't!"

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
What a dickbag. Did he even sell them microphones to plug into the MBOX?

I would have sold them a Zoom H4 or any number of portable stereo digital recorders for under $300.

Zoom H4n Handy Portable Digital Recorder at AmericanMusical.com

Press record. Download files via USB or by sticking the SD card in your computer's card reader. Upload MP3 file. Done.

Or if they've got an iPod Touch or iPhone, get a Blue Mikey and multi-track recording software.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item...0HAMS0000&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed&

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; A6277 Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17 Sprint APA6277KT)

The fact that the women gave you dirty looks for trying to help makes me think they got exactly what they deserved.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; A6277 Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17 Sprint APA6277KT)

Oh, and a friend of our band uses one of those Zooms and gets pretty damn good results.

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
Why not just do what every other 10 year old does, get a webcam or a digital camera with video, and upload it to youtube?

It's shit like this that make me glad I don't work at GC anymore.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
Why not just do what every other 10 year old does, get a webcam or a digital camera with video, and upload it to youtube?

It's shit like this that make me glad I don't work at GC anymore.
oooh webcams...

:jj:

:lol: anyway what a bunch of cocksuckers, the whole lot of them. I remember I was at Fry's one time where some guy was buying a new PS for his computer because the old one died and the sales dude was trying to sell him a 700 watt one or something for his regular desktop :lol: wtf they were like 3-400 back then too lol.

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
We used a Zoom H4 for the stereo room mic when recording drums. They're awesome!
Those Zoom field recorder mics are used by people in the film business. They are GOOD.

Liek Zepp, I would have probably argued with that fuckin' clerk. Ugh. I love a good argument, especially with so easy a target and so obvious an asshole. However, like Dave said, the dumb broads probably got what they deserved. People with too much money and too little brains.

·
Guitarist/The Purge
846 Posts

The fact that the women gave you dirty looks for trying to help makes me think they got exactly what they deserved.

·
Guitarist/The Purge
846 Posts
Not to mention that they willingly forked out $700 just so their ten year olds could record themselves playing what probably sounds like a can of beans getting run over by a truck.

Reactions: 343

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Those Zoom field recorder mics are used by people in the film business. They are GOOD.

Liek Zepp, I would have probably argued with that fuckin' clerk. Ugh. I love a good argument, especially with so easy a target and so obvious an asshole. However, like Dave said, the dumb broads probably got what they deserved. People with too much money and too little brains.
:agreed: Totally agreed on both points.

"You're got 30 years working at a guitar shop, so you think it's smarter to sell them $700 worth of pro-level equipment when they could do the same thing for under $100?"
"You don't know what you're talking about."
"Well, that's funny, cause actually I do."
*dirty looks from mothers*
"If you want to skip the whole 'simple and easy' solution and just go for expensive top-of-the-line equipment... for 10 year old girls... then go ahead."

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.