Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, since my Blackstar takes 3x ECC83's and 1x ECC82, what would happen if I switched it out for another ECC83? I ask because I have a spare ECC83 lying around, and I think the ECC82 has actually died on me.

Cheers lads

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Proably nothing bad - they just differ in terms of output, right?

Just googled - yeah, the ECC82 is a substitute for a 12AU7, in American parlance. IIRC, it has 50-70% of the gain of a 12AX7/ECC83. You almost certainly won't hurt anything by trying it, though depending on what the tube is doing you could get interesting results.

Does Blackstar provide you with the same sort of detailed specs as Mesa? Any idea what the ECC82 is actually doing in the amp?

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sadly not. I just know that looking from the front, it's the 3rd valve. Which I'd assume is Crunch channel, rather than Super Crunch. I could be way off though.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Sadly not. I just know that looking from the front, it's the 3rd valve. Which I'd assume is Crunch channel, rather than Super Crunch. I could be way off though.
Is it the closest to the power tubes? Usually in the manual they'll tell you if it's a phase inverter tube, which is typically what they use AU7s and AT7s for in amps that have primarily AX7s. They also occasionally go as reverb drivers if there is real tube reverb in there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts