Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.metalguitarist.org/chris/1216-D1.mp3

This is just a single condenser, and a very low DI track from the AFX. There are oodles of mistakes, and it just repeats the same couple of melodies over and over. I'm working out a song idea and was just getting the melodies down so that I can start arranging.

I plan to X/Y it, but ran out of mic cables. :vince: Any tips on improving it are, as always, appreciated. :) Ignore the drum repetitiveness, and I have to point out that when I record mic'd up, I have a huge issue with getting things clean because I am constantly staring at the mic trying not to bump into it. I might have to get an acoustic stand, because the second I actually start getting into the song, I start rocking back and forth/moving around, and inevitably bump into the fucking mics.

I am also a monster DOTN fan, and realize that I'm ripping Meeks off on a billion levels, but I can't help it. It's not like my album's going to sell to anyone other than maybe 2-3 people on here, and my parents. :lol:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
You shared this with me earlier - and I dig. I can't help specifically on the recording, but it strikes me as a bit bright and "etched" sounding. Almost a Taylor sound out of your Martin. The playing is fine as a demo, dude.

Try sitting on a stool so you don't have anywhere to go and you'll restrain your movement a touch? Maybe your mic doesn't have to be so close?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do sit on a stool, but my thought process is MUST KEEP MIC AT FIXED DISTANCE, MUST KEEP MIC AT FIXED DISTANCE. :lol:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Here's a kooky thought... what gauge of pick are you using? Your attack sounds pretty hard... maybe try a slightly softer pick?

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I thought it sounded like a thin pick. I think the attack is fine, it's just a very bright tone. It's quite serviceable, especially in a full mix I bet.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Dude, that sounds really good.

Whatever you're doing (from what I've heard lately) you seem to be doing it right.

I think you're definitely on the right track.

·
Devil
1,871 Posts
The way I was taught was to point the mic at the 12th fret at a 45 degree angle pointing towards the sound hole. Keeps the pick noise down and the bass frequencies even.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The way I was taught was to point the mic at the 12th fret at a 45 degree angle pointing towards the sound hole. Keeps the pick noise down and the bass frequencies even.
I'll definitely try that. On this track, the mic is dead-on at the soundhole, right in front of it. That might have a lot to do with the pick attack.

+Rep, sir.

·
Devil
1,871 Posts
:yesway:

Bad juju putting the mic directly on the sound hole for those reasons. The only pisser about micing like I described is you have to hold very still lest you whack the mic with your gitterfiddle.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Sounds a smidge bright, but that could be the fact that I'm listening on my MBP's speakers, not good speakers. Will give a listen later. Otherwise it sounds great! Clarity up the ass; I love it. Did you have any phase issues that you had to correct using the mic and the pickup? I really want to go that route eventually.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
:yesway:

Bad juju putting the mic directly on the sound hole for those reasons. The only pisser about micing like I described is you have to hold very still lest you whack the mic with your gitterfiddle.
:agreed: That, and you tend to get some very boomy bass response. Chris, if I'm using a single mic I'll often start out where Ambrosius recommends too - if not there exactly, then somewhere around the 12th-14th fret, either angled in towards the soundhole a little or above angled down towards the neck. I've had good luck with either.

·
Devil
1,871 Posts
There's another trick I've used before that will really bring things out, but try this AFTER you got your first mic good and happy:

Take a condenser mic and place it round about where your ear is. Careful with phasing issues and you will have to play it a bit. But think about how YOU hear the acoustic and where your ears are placed and how much of the room a condenser picks up. Keep that track, should you use it, at a very low volume and bring up until the subtlety takes effect.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
There's another trick I've used before that will really bring things out, but try this AFTER you got your first mic good and happy:

Take a condenser mic and place it round about where your ear is. Careful with phasing issues and you will have to play it a bit. But think about how YOU hear the acoustic and where your ears are placed and how much of the room a condenser picks up. Keep that track, should you use it, at a very low volume and bring up until the subtlety takes effect.
This rules, too, and this works especially well if you're blending styles of mic - a small diaphragm condenser pointed at the fretboard, a LDC at ear level works great.

...though I'll use that as the basis for a stereo spread, rather than as a mixed-back supportive mic...

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This rules, too, and this works especially well if you're blending styles of mic - a small diaphragm condenser pointed at the fretboard, a LDC at ear level works great.

...though I'll use that as the basis for a stereo spread, rather than as a mixed-back supportive mic...
I have two smalls and a large, actually, so I'm going to give X/Y and the LDC at ear level a shot. :yesway:

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
I don't have much of use to add to what has already been said, but I like the track. :yesway:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts