Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and what have we learned?

The Blackstar guys are fucking awesome. They answer questions, bring kick ass products and put on killer demos. In short, you want to buy their stuff. Freddy DeMarco, who plays at their demos, is a monster. He did a great job showing off the products. All in all Blackstar was the best at this show.

Marshall was the exact opposite. They brought some wanna be comedian who is a mediocre player and doesn't tell you jackshit about the product. He was playing through the new Joe Satriani Marshall for part of his demo. Did he tell us a fucking thing about the amp? No, no he did not. In short, I do not want to buy their products.

Eleven Rack had Neil Zaza demo their Axe Fx wanna be thingie. I can't tell you jack fucking shit about it because Neil only used one sound from it while he played tracks from his CDs or something. They also told us nothing about it. The only upside to this demo was Neil brought his girlfriend, who is awfully freaking hot.

There were a lot of stupidly expensive guitars, like a Les Paul just like Ace Frehley played. As well as some almost as pricey as my car. I fail to see the point.

Whoever was running sound for the demo tent sucks at their job. The mixes were way too loud and harsh. It was hard to listen to a lot of the time.

Jeff Loomis is a pleasant fellow.

Apparently lanyards are serious business. A woman almost came after me for mine.

The electric guitar room at Sweetwater's retail store isn't really big and when you're standing in there with a bunch of junior high kids jamming Ozzy riffs it's an unholy racket.

Mesa Mark V amps are hard to dial in.

All in all, it's a good time and totally worth going to.

Reactions: Randy

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Mesa amps in general are a pain in the ass to dial in when you are new to them :lol:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind)

Mark v is a lot easier to deal in than a recto, in my experience :shrug:

DeMarco is in fact legit.

Shame about marshall. A few years ago it seemed they were really turning it around (leading up to them buying out from korg) but apparently that didn't stick.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind)

Mark v is a lot easier to deal in than a recto, in my experience :shrug:

DeMarco is in fact legit.

Shame about marshall. A few years ago it seemed they were really turning it around (leading up to them buying out from korg) but apparently that didn't stick.
Marshall could be making the best amps in the universe right now but their demos would never illustrate that. They need a better demo guy.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Marks are easy: just crank the mod knob, then V scoop it back out with the geq.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I only really got one picture. My buddy Scott (superpartydude on here, you remember, the guy who signed up to sell his 6505+ :lol:).

Nothing too spectacular there, really, other than the awesome Blackstar crew doing an impressive demo :metal:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Also, I tried out the Mesa TA-15. Pretty badass little amp that I'm going to try to get for my dad, who's looking for a low-wattage rock amp.

4,429 Posts
I personally find Mark V to sound pretty good on a lot of settings. Well except channel 3 and the "clean" preamp which are a little less friendly. Just gotta get the gain/channel volume right and the master volume atleast halfway.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Eleven Rack had Neil Zaza demo their Axe Fx wanna be thingie. I can't tell you jack fucking shit about it because Neil only used one sound from it while he played tracks from his CDs or something. They also told us nothing about it. The only upside to this demo was Neil brought his girlfriend, who is awfully freaking hot.
...as well as the fact Zaza is a monster with phenomenal phrasing. :yesway:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
He's got chops, but his music was astoundingly boring. Very "adult contemporary" :noway:

·
Marshall humper
3,575 Posts
Marshall have terrible customer service and store relations, and they never say jack shit about their amps in anything, but in their defense, JCM 800.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
He's got chops, but his music was astoundingly boring. Very "adult contemporary" :noway:
Really? Maybe he's mellowed out some with time, because I absolutely LOVE his "Staring at the Sun."

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Really? Maybe he's mellowed out some with time, because I absolutely LOVE his "Staring at the Sun."
I was staring at my watch, waiting for it to be over :lol:

It was just… a LOT of notes, but not an ounce of oomph behind them, you know?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts