Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Oxygen to CO2 converter
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) Anyone use it with a Legacy? I have been doing some reading and there are a couple ways people have used it. The Steve Vai way, and the 4 cable method. Besides the built-in effects I will be using it with a couple different ODs up front, a Whammy and a Wah and channel switching.

2) Racked or on the floor? If I rack it, all I will have is a cat 5 going back to the rack. Some dudes run the whamy through a loop though and claim it sounds better, but I cant rack it and use the whammy through the loop.

3) anyone use expression pedals for the built in wah, volume features? I am wondering how well they work. I've never had much luck with built-in wah with expression pedal features.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Yeah, you want the Whammy out front, since it is not very good at following the fundamental when the signal is distorted.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Darren uses 2 expression pedals with his G-System, so hopefully he'll chime in. I use an expression pedal with the Axe FX and it sounds great. I can't see a top quality unit like the G-System sucking if you snag a decent expression pedal.

·
18,790 Posts
My guitarist's G-System setup looks like this:

Guitar -> G-System (in Rack)
Pre-Amp Loop -> JCM800 input
JCM800 Effects Send -> Pre-amp Loop Return
Loop 1 Send -> Fender Pre-amp input
Fender Pre-amp out -> Loop 1 Return
Loop 2 Send -> Noise Gate -> Tubescreamer -> Loop 2 Return
Loop 3 Send -> BBE Sonic Stomp -> Loop 3 Return
G-System Output -> JCM800 Effects Loop Return

This looks complicated but basically it gives him his pedals in front of either pre-amp, into the power section of the JCM800, with whatever G-System effects he wants, wherever they're supposed to go. He's used a cheap volume pedal to control volume and it worked smoothly. He just bought an expression pedal so he hasn't had a chance to play with it much yet.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Ditto...I'd love one with a triaxis/2:90 combo and a pair of 2x12s, my DS1 and NS2 in one loops, my little pedal board (delay, phaser, flanger, chorus) in another, an expression pedal for controlling the inbuilt wahs and filters, and my volume pedal and whammy next to it (with possibly a few dedicated 'wierd noise' units in the other two loops. Damn, that got me off for a few minutes...:lol:

Can I add another question to the list? Has anyone used it to switch channels on a triaxis?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Wait for Darren to chime in. He's spent a lot of time planning his rig out around the G-system.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My bandmate has one. He hates the wahs in it, and always uses his Bad Horsie instead, thats currently the only pedal he has so thats what's stopping him from running wireless, unless he wants to run cables front-to-back of stage just for a wah pedal! He also advises against using the volume pedal, as you get some latency due to the conversion of MIDI data to volume control, same goes for expression pedals on whammy etc.

A rack setup is generally more convenient, all the inputs/outputs are on the module that gets racked so you can still have different setups of what's in front of the preamp, what's in the loop etc. Then only the one data cable going front-to-back of stage.

·
Oxygen to CO2 converter
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A rack setup is generally more convenient, all the inputs/outputs are on the module that gets racked so you can still have different setups of what's in front of the preamp, what's in the loop etc. Then only the one data cable going front-to-back of stage.
I thought about the same thing, but since i am going to have a tuner, wah, volume and whammy up front as well, I figured I might as well keep the rack under the footswitch, but I do like the idea of a cleaner pedal board as well.

·
18,790 Posts
Yeah, the built-in tuner in the G-System isn't great. It works, but it won't go down deep enough to handle the F# on Richard's 8-string. It handles the low-B.

Just do what Stephen Wilson did with his:

Pedal board has all his loop-switched pedals hidden under a flap that closes/opens as needed.

(incidentally, I just noticed that's the same Boss expression pedal my guitarist just picked up for his :lol: )

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
1) Anyone use it with a Legacy? I have been doing some reading and there are a couple ways people have used it. The Steve Vai way, and the 4 cable method. Besides the built-in effects I will be using it with a couple different ODs up front, a Whammy and a Wah and channel switching.
I use mine using the 4-cable method, with an overdrive and a fuzz in loops, and i'm using the relays to switch channels on my Mesa F-30.

2) Racked or on the floor? If I rack it, all I will have is a cat 5 going back to the rack. Some dudes run the whamy through a loop though and claim it sounds better, but I cant rack it and use the whammy through the loop.
I have mine racked. If you're using the 4-cable method, the analog loops on the G-System all come before the preamp. The loops are also buffered, so if there's any tonal change from having them in the loop, that's probably why.

3) anyone use expression pedals for the built in wah, volume features? I am wondering how well they work. I've never had much luck with built-in wah with expression pedal features.
I use them, and find they work quite nicely. Lots of parameters in the G-System can be modified with the expression pedals. Some users on the TC Electronic forum have had weird experiences with some of the effects not working smoothly with expression pedals, which may be more to do with the specific hardware people may be using.

I can't get the tuner to register my open low A at all, so i usually tune my bottom string to the 12th fret harmonic.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
I can't get the tuner to register my open low A at all, so i usually tune my bottom string to the 12th fret harmonic.
I am assuming you put the tuner in 7-string mode? It won't register anything that low in the default (guitar) mode.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Hey Darren, do you find the relays slow at all in switching?

I know Richard had trouble with it being slow when switching his Tonebone head switcher with it a while back, but I'm wondering if they've fixed it somehow with firmware updates.
Wow, that is disappointing to hear. My G Major switches so fast that it is all but undetectable. I cannot believe something three times as much, based on newer technology, has taken a step backwards. :noway:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.