Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else a fan? I love this show. he's really opened up my eyes to being a bit more adventurous with food. (I'm NOT an adventurous eater by nature by any means, but I'm no pediatric diet kinda guy, either. Fresh fruits and vegetables, anything with potatoes, and beef, that's me.) Got me to try sushi, and I find I like it. I'm much more willing to try new things these days.

It's also a TERRIFIC show. Very... artistic. The show has won several Emmy awards, and it's easy to see why. The cinematography is just fantastic (and Emmy winning as well).

I'm listening to his audio book 'Kitchen Confidential' recently now, too (on my phone as I walk my dog. Technology is great!) Terrific book. Tony breaks down all the behind-the-scenes element of being a working chef.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
My girlfriend and I also really enjoy cooking, and I do think that is one of the aspects that draws us to the show.

He has a very unique journalistic quality to him; he really cracks me up sometimes explaining things. He is very colorful, that's for sure. I also like the fact that the show is kind-of like a cooking show that doesn't really follow the step-by-step format.

I will definitely pick up his book.

Did you happen to catch the episode where he went back to his old restaurant and pulled a double shift?

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, but he talked about it this season. Said no way he could still do it.

That was par for the course back in the day for him, I gather. Insane. I'm just not built that way, but then, he seems like a hyper kinda guy, and I ain't.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
No, but he talked about it this season. Said no way he could still do it.

That was par for the course back in the day for him, I gather. Insane. I'm just not built that way, but then, he seems like a hyper kinda guy, and I ain't.
Yeah, he didn't quite have it anymore, and he admitted it.

I worked at a steakhouse about 12 or 13 years ago, and I worked 6 doubles a week, and it was pretty tough. I had virtually no social life; I mean all I did was get up, go to work, and get home at 1 or 2 in the morning, go to bed, get back up and do it again. My only day off was Monday. It sucked. It burned me out quick.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
My brother would like this (he manages at Chipotle, but eventually wants to have his own place). Is it available on dvd?

Bob, where did you get the audio?

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
There is one episode where he went to Saudi Arabia that was very cool. I learned a lot about the Saudi's culture in that hour of television. It's a good show.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts