Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've recently been on break from school and had discussions with several friends and many agree that it's become almost insane how rampant antidepressants are in there schools (especially among females). :(

One girl from my school literally went insane due to a combination of xanex and prozac abuse. Every time she told the doctor they didn't work he simply upped her dose. Eventually she was on a dose double of what the normal dose of someone twice her weight. She eventually cracked told my friend that god told her he needs to drink milk, she started talking to herself, she left telling him she was going to bed and she got arrested for reckless driving. Spent time in mental hospital where they said she seemed to have developed schizophrenia.

It's so incredibly easy to get antidepressants. And it seems now they are the first effort of any psychologist as opposed to the last. I hear kids all the time talking about how they are getting this prescription upped or changing prescription. When a good amount of time they wouldn't even qualify for depression when I basically gave them the tests for depression talking to them. (I did a lot of research on the topic when I was depressed). My friend is leaving Carnegie Mellon because it's so bad in his major. In atleast 4 instances all it took to get prescribed antidepressants was asking for them. no tests where administered. No therapy required. Just a simple I would like to be prescribed anti depressants and boom a signature.

I'm just interested to see if anyone has seen it as a rising issue for older generations as well.

·
Thread Killer
6,491 Posts
Its stupid. Every commerical break there is drug commercials. :noway: 90% of People on drugs probably shouldnt be or could get off them. :noplease:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Doctors today are terrible, and the parents are even worse. Everyone's way too quick to pull the trigger and say "My kid has XXX, which is why he's a bad student/punk/slacker/etc".

Giving them excuses and setting them up with prescriptions is a recipe for failure.

·
Devil
1,871 Posts
When I was being a shitty kid I got my ass beat. Shitty kids today get to take drugs and go in and out of loony bins. Kinda feel like I got the short end of the stick there. Maybe I'll go open a DeviantArt account and whine about it so someone will think my shitty drawings mean something.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
When I was a substitute teacher a few years ago I was stunned by the number of kids of all ages that were on some behavior altering drug. It's just staggering how quick doctors are to prescribe it and how many parents want their kids on this shit.

·
Devil
1,871 Posts
They need to speak to Dr. Nate

"Dr. Nate! Little Billy has ADD!"

"Here's a prescription for STFU brand duct tape for his speech problem and second prescription for some STFD brand glue to keep his ass in the chair. That'll be $666."

·
Motherfucker.
3,459 Posts
After 4 years of going between massive mood changes, I finally went to the doctor this year on the advice of my girlfriend. I was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder and was given a few suggestions, one of them being medication. That was about 4 months ago, and I'm still not on medication. I am treating it as a last resort. If I can help it, I won't touch that shit until I've exhausted every other means.

At the moment I'm going the exercise route. If that fails, or if I think I'd do better with counselling as well then I'll do that. Another road to consider is high concentrate omega3 capsules, which are also proven to help people deal with their depression as well as improve their memories and a load of other health benefits.

If you can get hold of them/find them online, watch Louis Theroux's "America's Medicated Kids" and Stephen Fry's "The Secret Life of a Manic-Depressive". Both are incredibly insightful on medication, mental disorders and the knee-jerk administering/diagnosing of both.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
The drugs don't do the work for you. I was on mild anti-depressants last winter and they helped - I ran out, I was doing ok, haven't been back on them.

I think a big part of it is reactive medicine as opposed to preventative medicine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts