Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all!

The offer for free artwork is closed. I've already selected the bands and I'm working with them in the design.

To the bands who submited their proposal, thanks! I'm trying to contact directly with everyone who filled out the form but I received many proposals so it's taking me a little.

To the people in the forum who think this is spam, sorry again, honestly it was not my intention.

Regs,

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Draw a picture of me riding a dolphin through space and like kind of subtly imply with shading and stuff that I have a boner. Only like imply it with my eyes.

The dolphin should be no longer than twelve to fifteen feet. That's not counting the back fins though.

Also can you write the title of the album coming out of the dolphin's mouth, but like make it look like the text is going towards you like BAM THIS ALBUM IS GOING TO RAPE ME IN THE FACE WITH IT'S MUSICALITY.

The title of the album should be written in viking runes. They don't actually have to be viking runes, you can just make up shit that looks like viking runes.

The title is, "It's probably not a good idea to sign up for a forum and spam yourself in the first post."

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Draw a picture of me riding a dolphin through space and like kind of subtly imply with shading and stuff that I have a boner. Only like imply it with my eyes.

The dolphin should be no longer than twelve to fifteen feet. That's not counting the back fins though.

Also can you write the title of the album coming out of the dolphin's mouth, but like make it look like the text is going towards you like BAM THIS ALBUM IS GOING TO RAPE ME IN THE FACE WITH IT'S MUSICALITY.

The title of the album should be written in viking runes. They don't actually have to be viking runes, you can just make up shit that looks like viking runes.

The title is, "It's probably not a good idea to sign up for a forum and spam yourself in the first post."
Ok, I'm sorry if that's what you think or if I have not complied with any forum rule. It's not my intention to spam, I'm just offering something free I think it could be interesting for some bands. I put it in the classifieds section. If the post is not ok and the administrator wants to delete it I'll understand but I think there's not need to be rude.

Anyway, sorry for the inconvenience.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Oh wait, this was in musicians classifieds? hahahahahahahahahahahaha

That's probably OK then.

You can still draw me riding a dolphin if you like.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Please don't do this kind of work for free, It's one of the trends in the last few years that is ruining our industry. Trust me I've been doing 3d for 17 years, and every year more kids come along that want to work for free to get a foot in the door, it screws everything up.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Please don't do this kind of work for free, It's one of the trends in the last few years that is ruining our industry. Trust me I've been doing 3d for 17 years, and every year more kids come along that want to work for free to get a foot in the door, it screws everything up.
Hi!

Yes, I see your point and don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those designers working for free or making artwork for $50. I'm the first affected by that.

I'm full-time freelance graphic designer and I pay my bills with my designs so believe me, working for free is not something I do usually. This is just a limited offer, just this week.

I want to start a more specialized portfolio - besides my other paid projects - with this kind of stuff and start promoting it... this offer is just a way to start with it and do some networking at the same time. But after these 2 covers I'll be no longer working for free.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Hi!

Yes, I see your point and don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those designers working for free or making artwork for $50. I'm the first affected by that.

I'm full-time freelance graphic designer and I pay my bills with my designs so believe me, working for free is not something I do usually. This is just a limited offer, just this week.

I want to start a more specialized portfolio - besides my other paid projects - with this kind of stuff and start promoting it... this offer is just a way to start with it and do some networking at the same time. But after these 2 covers I'll be no longer working for free.
This is actually exactly what kosta is talking about.

Also, Garrett is just like that. But, a whole bunch of us would buy that album, so it's actually probably a pretty solid business move. :yesway:

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is actually exactly what kosta is talking about.

Also, Garrett is just like that. But, a whole bunch of us would buy that album, so it's actually probably a pretty solid business move. :yesway:
I fully understand why Kosta says that and I even agree with it (although I know it seems contradictory): Graphic designers, illustrators, 3D artists, animators, etc are professionals and MUST be paid for their work.

That said, most things in life are not black or white. I'm 30 years old and I've been working in this area for many years. That's what I do for life and obviously I can't live working for free. If someone writes me asking for free work my answer is always no. But on the other hand I don't think is bad at all to provide a free sample of your work a few times in your life. In fact, many bussinesses do that and sometimes it works. It's not like saying "hey, I work for free", the conditions are clear, this is a limited offer. For me, it's more like a contest, because I will choose the more interesting proposals .

Moreover, if I contact a music label - for example - offering artwork for bands with my current portfolio the most likely answer would be "can you show us previous examples you've made?"and it makes all the sense in the world... so, sometimes it's difficult to balance.

I'm maybe wrong but this is definitely something that I want to give it a try :)

·
with a Shotgun
925 Posts
Ah, nice timing. We're just considering our options as our debut album is beginning to come together. Filled and sent :)

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Those examples are incredible! I'm an definitely in for my new album. Perfect timing as I have been looking for an artwork designer.

:yesway:

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
I fully understand why Kosta says that and I even agree with it (although I know it seems contradictory): Graphic designers, illustrators, 3D artists, animators, etc are professionals and MUST be paid for their work.

That said, most things in life are not black or white. I'm 30 years old and I've been working in this area for many years. That's what I do for life and obviously I can't live working for free. If someone writes me asking for free work my answer is always no. But on the other hand I don't think is bad at all to provide a free sample of your work a few times in your life. In fact, many bussinesses do that and sometimes it works. It's not like saying "hey, I work for free", the conditions are clear, this is a limited offer. For me, it's more like a contest, because I will choose the more interesting proposals .

Moreover, if I contact a music label - for example - offering artwork for bands with my current portfolio the most likely answer would be "can you show us previous examples you've made?"and it makes all the sense in the world... so, sometimes it's difficult to balance.

I'm maybe wrong but this is definitely something that I want to give it a try :)
Totally and utterly get this, and I don't see this being a bad thing in any way shape or form.

I do freebies a few times a year. It's a great way to a) refresh your portfolio, b) grab attention, and c) network. I don't work for free, fuck I don't even work for cheap, I respect the industry AND myself by charging a respectable amount that is reflective of my skill level and experience.

But you need to weed through the shits who are ruining the industry by doing a £300 job for £20, and sometimes grasping a few punters by the nuts is the best way to go about it.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ah, nice timing. We're just considering our options as our debut album is beginning to come together. Filled and sent :)
Those examples are incredible! I'm an definitely in for my new album. Perfect timing as I have been looking for an artwork designer.

:yesway:
:yesway: Thank you so much! I'm having many interesting proposals so this is gonna be a hard choice!!!

Totally and utterly get this, and I don't see this being a bad thing in any way shape or form.

I do freebies a few times a year. It's a great way to a) refresh your portfolio, b) grab attention, and c) network. I don't work for free, fuck I don't even work for cheap, I respect the industry AND myself by charging a respectable amount that is reflective of my skill level and experience.

But you need to weed through the shits who are ruining the industry by doing a £300 job for £20, and sometimes grasping a few punters by the nuts is the best way to go about it.
:agreed: 100% agreed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.