Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
How can you be a fan of a musical descriptor? That's like saying I'm a quarter note fan. I'm a fan of musical techniques that serve the song. If that includes odd times, then so be it.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
Well, you win the pretentious post award. :lol:
Haha, well if the shoe fits. I just mean that there is a lot of really good music, and really bad music completely irregardless of what time sig it's in, and to listen to music for the sole reason of liking it's time is asinine, whether it is only listening to 4/4 because everything else sounds "weird" or only listen to odd times because everything else is "boring" or "not technical" or whatever.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Redundant thread is redundant....

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
Haha, well if the shoe fits. I just mean that there is a lot of really good music, and really bad music completely irregardless of what time sig it's in, and to listen to music for the sole reason of like it's time is asinine, whether it is only listening to 4/4 because everything else sounds "weird" or only listen to odd times because everything else is "boring" or "not technical" or whatever.
I must be asinine because 4/4 bores the fuck out of me.

·
Registered
446 Posts
How can you be a fan of a musical descriptor? That's like saying I'm a quarter note fan. I'm a fan of musical techniques that serve the song. If that includes odd times, then so be it.
There's nothing wrong with not being partial to odd meters, but liking them is not at all like saying you're a quarter note fan.

Quarter notes out of context tell you absolutely nothing about the music, but odd meters like those listed in the original post all imply strong syncopation in the music.

I agree with Micah that I find odd times very appealing.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
There's nothing wrong with not being partial to odd meters, but liking them is not at all like saying you're a quarter note fan.

Quarter notes out of context tell you absolutely nothing about the music, but odd meters like those listed in the original post all imply strong syncopation in the music.

I agree with Micah that I find odd times very appealing.
odd meters don't necessarily imply strong syncopation. Take a song like solsbury hill by peter gabriel. It's in 7, yet I wouldn't call it strongly syncopated. Don't get me wrong, the vast majority of the stuff I listen to uses odd time signatures.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hmm, that's a good point and an excellent example. Also the pre-chorus of the Rush song Earthshine has an 11 beat pattern that's so subtle it's easy to miss.

Damn, I have to admit my generalization about strong syncopation doesn't hold up. :d'oh:

I'm realizing that all the odd-time songs/pieces I love are just what feels like good music to me. They're good and happen to be odd, not good because they're odd.

Well played MTJ :yesway:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I'm realizing that all the odd-time songs/pieces I love are just what feels like good music to me. They're good and happen to be odd, not good because they're odd.

Exactly. Making music in weird time signatures because it's "challenging" or "progressive" or "different" doesn't do you any good if it doesn't fit a musical goal you're trying to achieve.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
Hmm, that's a good point and an excellent example. Also the pre-chorus of the Rush song Earthshine has an 11 beat pattern that's so subtle it's easy to miss.

Damn, I have to admit my generalization about strong syncopation doesn't hold up. :d'oh:

Solsbury Hill, Desmond's Take 5, and Mars from Holsts's The Planets are like my all time time sig trump cards lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts