Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just picked up a JPMM standard model with piezo for a steal from a guy. I've played them and like but I've stayed away from them for quite awhile just because of the tuning stability issues I've heard (in regards to the trem). Now I bought the thing not only for the playability, but I just know there's more to this "staying in tune" issue than just blaming it on the trem.
Trying to make a long story short, I've had several friends who have bought these JPMM's loved them, but couldn't handle them going out of tune every time they did some major wankery with the trem. Not only that, but JP himself I don't think would be using them if they had said issues....Any of you guys experience these so called tuning issues?

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Of the 4 JP7s I've had I never had any tuning stability issues what so ever. I wasn't constantly banging around on the trem but I did use it a fair amount.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Tuning stability was excellent on the JP7 I owned for a few months. Tone didn't agree with me, but stability was good.

·
MAMMALHAMMER
520 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; DROID2 GLOBAL Build/S273) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

It's a stable non locking trem. It's good for conservative use similar to what you see jp doing with it. Since it isn't a locking trem it is not going to stay in tune through wankery.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds to me like the people complaining about tuning issues don't know how to give it a proper set-up, or are attempting Herman Ri style stunts with it. :2c:
Proper set ups...yes, very true. In regards to the Herman Li style stuff....Shouldn't a trem be able to withstand that type of stuff like the OFR's or Edges??? It is a floating bridge afterall.....

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
No problems here. The only minor issue I had was the lower E string binding a little at the nut on one of the older models, causing it to go slightly flat, and that fixed itself after about two days of playing.

Other than that, setting it up correctly and using the locking tuners, you're usually good to go as far as tuning stability.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Proper set ups...yes, very true. In regards to the Herman Li style stuff....Shouldn't a trem be able to withstand that type of stuff like the OFR's or Edges??? It is a floating bridge afterall.....
It's all about knowing what the trem's limits are. A non-locking type trem as you JPMM has can't take massive abuse without going out of tune. If you want to be doing dive bombs and Dimebag-esque pull ups every 5 seconds you need a locking trem. If you can deal with a more limited range of motion then the non-locking trem is fine. Worst comes to the worst you can always block the trem and treat it as a hardtail.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts