Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Not sure, but I saw a guy do a build on ss.org where he took two 6 string OFRs and cut them and made an 8 string OFR. Looked pretty solid too.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
They don't currently have an 8 string trem, they might have made a 1 off, but I doubt it'd be easy(or cheap) to get one now.
I'd call them and check on that before making assumptions. If they made one then they probably still have the programming to machine another one and it would basically just be a different baseplate from their six and seven string trems :2cents:

Having just gotten a bridge custom made from a material they don't list on their website with a 5 minute phone call I can say it would definitely be worth checking on.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
I'd call them and check on that before making assumptions. If they made one then they probably still have the programming to machine another one and it would basically just be a different baseplate from their six and seven string trems :2cents:

Having just gotten a bridge custom made from a material they don't list on their website with a 5 minute phone call I can say it would definitely be worth checking on.
Not much of an assumption, I've got their full dealer price list, you know, being a dealer and all... I've also ordered custom parts from them, and they were expensive, took a long time to be made, and had to be in batches of 10 or more to even get a decent price on. 1 off's are not cheap from Hipshot.

And no, it wouldn't be a different base plate, their trems are string through, so it'd also be a different counterweight...

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
They had them on their site for years. I'd still call though. Prior to them having them on their site, I contact them & they said no problem!

Know you know where to stick your dealer list. ;)

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
They had them on their site for years. I'd still call though. Prior to them having them on their site, I contact them & they said no problem!

Know you know where to stick your dealer list. ;)
Of course it's no problem, but that doesn't change any of what I said, it'd still cost an arm and a leg, and turnaround would be quite a while. I ordered 5 standard Fender style 7 string hardtails, and I was waiting for 4-5 months. It's not something that they keep on hand, or even produce in any kind of quantity, and I'm not arguing that they won't do custom work. You're going to pay dearly for it.

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
Agreed. It will be costly & have a wait time. My initial post was to answer the question asked, "Are there any 8 string trems out there besides Kahler?" & the answer is YES.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Ibanez once did the bolt 2 trems together thing for an LACS for one of the Korn guitarists back in the day. I think it was 2 TRS trems.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
That's a trem Rondo had made... it's more of a vintage style trem with eight small pivot screws instead of two like a more modern trem might have.

The Hipshot design is probably better, since it pivots on bearings and not knife edges, which could get dull really fast under the extra tension.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Ibanez once did the bolt 2 trems together thing for an LACS for one of the Korn guitarists back in the day. I think it was 2 TRS trems.
They did the same for Rusty.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hipshot has made them way before kahler. ;)
i have been to hipshot's website to check on their tremolo selection sadly whatthye have for is 7s ... did you mean is a custom ? if yes how much does it cost for?

it seems like kahler is the emerging one for 8s as for its stability to get intune after several abuse...? but kahler is freaking bulky it mean to take off most of the wood from the body and i'll try not to to go with....

would OFR or Schaller be making a 8 string custom ?

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
i have been to hipshot's website to check on their tremolo selection sadly whatthye have for is 7s ... did you mean is a custom ? if yes how much does it cost for?

it seems like kahler is the emerging one for 8s as for its stability to get intune after several abuse...? but kahler is freaking bulky it mean to take off most of the wood from the body and i'll try not to to go with....

would OFR or Schaller be making a 8 string custom ?
Kahler is actually less wood taken out than a traditional route.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kahler is actually less wood taken out than a traditional route.
Mmmm?? care to eleborate abit further? it generally looked bulkier than OFR in matter of size... and i have taken look at the template (without general idea of how routing would be) it seems to measure longer approximately 10.7cm by length and width is 7cm? that would dominate most of the body wood out ?

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Mmmm?? care to eleborate abit further? it generally looked bulkier than OFR in matter of size... and i have taken look at the template (without general idea of how routing would be) it seems to measure longer approximately 10.7cm by length and width is 7cm? that would dominate most of the body wood out ?
You have to route out almost all of the wood under an OFR, plus a sizeable amount of wood out of the back of the guitar for springs. Kahler only has a small route for springs, miniscule at most. If you want to recess the Kahler, you still won't even come close to the wood removed from an OFR.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
that sounds like it ! but i am still curious of kahler's way of installing them... does it mean that the plate of the kahler i am seeing is actually screwed onto the body and thus only a small portion of the body is being taken off for the springs? thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts