Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market to replace my current 4 string bass, a G&L L2000 Tribute model. I've been leaning towards getting a Spector Euro 4LX, but there is no one nearby that carries them. Does anyone have any experiences with the Czech made Spectors?

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Stingray covers all the ground the G&L does. I want something a little more modern sounding that is neck through that I can replace the pickups in if needed. I enjoy tinkering/modifying my guitars, but you can't really replace the MFD pickups that are in the L2K series. Yes, I will be selling it ;).

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
They're good basses, but I never really cared for the electronics on them.

Ironically enough. I had a 5 string Spector that I sold for a USA G&L L-2500. Besides the general dislike for the EMG package on it, I just never got along with the ergonomics of the bass with it's radius body.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I've only ever played them in stores. Nice necks, solid build quality, comfy body, EMG bass tones (read: solid and versatile.)

·
Read Only
3 Posts
I have a a euro 4 and 5. Great basses, IMO every bit as good as the USAs I've played. The hardware is the same as the USAs, the EMGs are the real ones, the preamp is different from the USA, but that's about it.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Our former bassist had one. They're awesome, awesome basses.

·
I'm full of Hell...
411 Posts
I used to have a Korean made, neck-thru NS2000/4. Even with the EMG-HZ it was a pretty sweet bass. The only reason I sold it off is because I already had another 4 string (MM Sting Ray) and I wanted to add a 5 (went with a MIM Fender Jazz V). If I could afford it I certainly wouldn't mind getting a Spector back in my hands. A Euro 5LX would suit me just fine.

That said, I never cared for their Korean bolt-ons.

·
18,790 Posts
The only one I've played was a Korean bolt-on which was alright, but not great. It felt decent (though not really to my personal tastes) and sounded ok, but didn't have the punch and grit that I look for in a bass tone. Everything I've heard from/about every other Spector bass has been fantastic, though. It's just the cheap ones that basically sound and feel identical to the cheap Ibanez/Yamaha stuff, and really, my $200 Douglas felt and sounded exactly the same. So basically, get a real Spector (i.e. not the cheapest ones) and you'll be golden, most likely.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.