Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a used Mexican strat on Evilbay I was thinking of getting and modding over time. It's cheap, but I'd change the pickups, neck, tuners, and add a Ghost system eventually.

According to Warmoth's site, they don't specifically say they don't, but they don't say they will either.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I cannot speak to modern Mexi Srats, but back in the mid 90s, I had a Mexi neck bolted up to a Warmoth body with no problems. Honestly, I cannot see Fender changing those specs--consider that Mexican Fenders are simply the factory seconds from the USA plant.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cannot speak to modern Mexi Srats, but back in the mid 90s, I had a Mexi neck bolted up to a Warmoth body with no problems. Honestly, I cannot see Fender changing those specs--consider that Mexican Fenders are simply the factory seconds from the USA plant.
I wouldn't think so, but I thought it was worth asking. Of course, I bet I could call/e-mail Warmoth and ask. I'm sure someone already has before me.

I just thought it'd be cool to get a cheap MIM strat, then get a Warmoth neck with half scallop, to try it out. I've always wanted to.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
consider that Mexican Fenders are simply the factory seconds from the USA plant.
I can second that, it came from a Fender rep also. Who also went on to say the difference between american and MIM fenders other than a bit better hardware was "Do you want your guitar made in Mexico, by Mexicans...or a few minutes across the US border....by Mexicans?". I'd say it would probably fit. Also if you want a MIM strat or tele for a stupid good price, check Used.guitarcenter.com i've seen em go as cheap as $189 to $220 on there. You've gotta search, then filter through some crap, but the great deals are there.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can second that, it came from a Fender rep also. Who also went on to say the difference between american and MIM fenders other than a bit better hardware was "Do you want your guitar made in Mexico, by Mexicans...or a few minutes across the US border....by Mexicans?". I'd say it would probably fit. Also if you want a MIM strat or tele for a stupid good price, check Used.guitarcenter.com i've seen em go as cheap as $189 to $220 on there. You've gotta search, then filter through some crap, but the great deals are there.
Cool dude, I'll have to check that out!

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Also if you want a MIM strat or tele for a stupid good price, check Used.guitarcenter.com i've seen em go as cheap as $189 to $220 on there. You've gotta search, then filter through some crap, but the great deals are there.
When looking for used Tacocasters, always, always, always buy solid colors. The sunburst finishes tend to be alder veneer on front and back, since the actual bodies have unattractive grain patterns, typically not book matched.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
FWIW, we were able to test fit a warmoth jackson neck (same heel) to my mexi, which is an 02.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Not trying to buzz kill your idea but why not just buy one of these for $199? Or an unfinished version for even cheaper - my guess is this is a much better piece than the Fender.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Shadow: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; Droid Build/FRG83D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

DslDwg said:
Not trying to buzz kill your idea but why not just buy one of these for $199? Or an unfinished version for even cheaper - my guess is this is a much better piece than the Fender.

I think he is in the same mindset as me thinking if he gets a cheap fender he also gets the hardware and that would be cheaper than buying all the hardware by itself. I have this plan for my tele v when I finally have the $$ for it and then eventuall replace the hardware a little at a time selling any unused parts to help fund new stuff.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Shadow: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; Droid Build/FRG83D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I think he is in the same mindset as me thinking if he gets a cheap fender he also gets the hardware and that would be cheaper than buying all the hardware by itself. I have this plan for my tele v when I finally have the $$ for it and then eventuall replace the hardware a little at a time selling any unused parts to help fund new stuff.
The hardware isn't that great on the MIM's though... If you wind up upgrading it anyways, why start with a 6 point trem in the first place?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Yeah I understand - but Jeff's basically saying he's going to replace the whole guitar but the body - just saying there are good pieces in the screaming deal section and unfinished section for very reasonable prices. Then no issues with neck fitment etc.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Yeah I understand - but Jeff's basically saying he's going to replace the whole guitar but the body - just saying there are good pieces in the screaming deal section and unfinished section for very reasonable prices. Then no issues with neck fitment etc.
There wouldn't be a neck fitment issue anyways, but it's still a better route to go.

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
Call warmoth & ask to speak to Dan Allen (my former bassist), Spike or Rob in the sales dept. Any of them can answer your questions quickly. All great guys too.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

The hardware isn't that great on the MIM's though... If you wind up upgrading it anyways, why start with a 6 point trem in the first place?
I think you guys are misunderstanding. Yes, I'm going to upgrade stuff. However I'm going to be doing it very, very slowly. First, buy the guitar, and get the Ghost system in there. That's $350 for the pickups alone.

Then upgrade the single coils. $200. Then the neck.

Sure, it's probably better to jump right in with the Warmoth body and all, but I plan to do this so slowly that it's worth the $250 for the strat to slowly part it out over time.

Call warmoth & ask to speak to Dan Allen (my former bassist), Spike or Rob in the sales dept. Any of them can answer your questions quickly. All great guys too.
Thanks Shannon, I appreciate it!

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wirelessly posted (iDevice of Awesomeness: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

7deadlysins said:
consider that Mexican Fenders are simply the factory seconds from the USA plant.
Dude, you rock! They have so many used Strats that I can actually be picky about the color! Thanks!

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Wirelessly posted (iDevice of Awesomeness: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Dude, you rock! They have so many used Strats that I can actually be picky about the color! Thanks!
No, i'm just poor as fuck and constantly watch that site because I make sure I pay the least I possibly can for my gear but still get the most out of my money. :rofl: Also because I was planning on doing something similar for my Tele V...buy a MIM Tele, and just swap the body until I've got the $$ to get better pickups and such so i've searched through cheap MIM strats and teles on there countless times.

(Examples of my scores from there include: Gibson Faded V $450, Mesa Single Rect $850, Schecter PT Goldtop $225, Morley Wah $35, Korg DS-8 $179, LTD H207 $199, BC Rich P7 Warlock $150, almost bought a Framus Dragon for $1200, but went with the Mesa instead)

EDIT
Item #
106243359 Candy Apple Red for $199 :yesway:
106261907 Black with 1 humbucker $224
106244661 Black with duncan single in bridge $224
106284120 Midnight Blue stock $229
106261686 Arctic White stock $229
106299333 Tobacco burst stock $229
106185518 Light blue stock $229
106303895 Candy Red HSS $249

etc. :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, i'm just poor as fuck and constantly watch that site because I make sure I pay the least I possibly can for my gear but still get the most out of my money. :rofl: Also because I was planning on doing something similar for my Tele V...buy a MIM Tele, and just swap the body until I've got the $$ to get better pickups and such so i've searched through cheap MIM strats and teles on there countless times.

(Examples of my scores from there include: Gibson Faded V $450, Mesa Single Rect $850, Schecter PT Goldtop $225, Morley Wah $35, Korg DS-8 $179, LTD H207 $199, BC Rich P7 Warlock $150, almost bought a Framus Dragon for $1200, but went with the Mesa instead)

EDIT
Item #
106243359 Candy Apple Red for $199 :yesway:
106261907 Black with 1 humbucker $224
106244661 Black with duncan single in bridge $224
106284120 Midnight Blue stock $229
106261686 Arctic White stock $229
106299333 Tobacco burst stock $229
106185518 Light blue stock $229
106303895 Candy Red HSS $249

etc. :lol:
The prices are generally crazy good too. In fact, my wife's not happy with you. Ya see, not only do they have strats, but they've got a used Ibanez SR406 bass that's actually at the local store. For $199. :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Yeah. Used.guitarcenter.com has great deals all the time. $999 for a quilt-top USA Parker bass? $1000 for a Stiletto Ace combo? $499 for a Schecter Stiletto Studio 6? $250 for a vertical Mesa 2x12? Their search function sucks, but you can find some amazing deals.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah. Used.guitarcenter.com has great deals all the time. $999 for a quilt-top USA Parker bass? $1000 for a Stiletto Ace combo? $499 for a Schecter Stiletto Studio 6? $250 for a vertical Mesa 2x12? Their search function sucks, but you can find some amazing deals.
Wait, a Stiletto Ace combo for $1000? I think I'm going to cry. I want one of those so very badly.

Alas, next on the list of GAS (besides the Strat) is the new Roland GR-55, which I've got pre-ordered.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Wait, a Stiletto Ace combo for $1000? I think I'm going to cry. I want one of those so very badly.

Alas, next on the list of GAS (besides the Strat) is the new Roland GR-55, which I've got pre-ordered.
That's how I got my Mark IV combo for like $1170 shipped.

Tip: buy outside your own state and save the sales tax.

used.guitarcenter.com is ALL I use Guitar Center for any longer, and it is nice. Not happy with the item? Take it back to the local GC and you get a full refund sans the absurdly cheap shipping.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts