Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weirdly enough, both guitars I have on hand for playing these days have Gibson sized frets (an actual Gibson and an 80s Rhoads), and I'm finding I like it better.

Anyone else in the same camp?

·
\m/ \m/
5,983 Posts
I have no real prefence but I really liked the smaller frets in the EVH guitars I owned.

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
I used to be all about jumbo but my Wolfgang's frets changed that, smaller and taller. Seems to be very accurate intonation-wise too.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I like being able to feel the fretboard, but I also don't want my string scraping the board when I pull a bend.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Depends. My #1 has very small frets and feels great, but my G&L Tribute has very large frets and also feels great. I think it's a combination of fret size + neck profile that does it for me.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Whatever are on my Mexistrat are awesome. I like that I can press hard and it won't go sharp instantly. Let's you play like a man.

·
The Singlecut King of Northern VA
2,299 Posts
I have gotten so use to playing my 1978 les paul custom that I can do almost anything with those low frets. They are not exactly the fretless wonder frets, but damn close and now I tend to like it since I mostly play rhythm, but I still have no problem doing bends like some people complain.

I don't know if any of my other guitars have the jumbo's on them, they do have bigger frets though and I can still play them no problem.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Definitely prefer jumbos. Anything less than medium jumbo makes it a little dicy to bend with lower action.

·
glass enthusiast
1,665 Posts
My custom has medium frets and it's pretty fab to play tbh.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
I don't really have much of a preference. If I were able to specify I'd probably get jumbo sized just because it's what I use the most.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
I don't know what they're called, but I like the tall thin ones, not the shorter fat ones.

I just learned something about myself. I prefer my frets like I prefer my women.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Ever since owning my Loomis, massive frets have always been my preference. My Charvel has enormous chunky frets and they feel amazing. I don't mind skinny frets either though, so long as they're tall. I hate tiny frets (strats etc). I don't like feeling too much of the wood under my fingers.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
I've never had a problem bending due to frets (unless they were rusty or crap covered), but I do think the jumbos take up a lot of space in between those highest frets. If I were spec'ing a new guitar I'd likely go with stainless mediums or medium jumbos.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts