Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got into these guys in the last few weeks. They played at Fort Rock but I stupidly had them mistaken for Avantasia in my head so I didn't bother checking out their set, then ended up seeing clips on YouTube from the show and dug what I heard, so we started going back and checking out their videos and whatnot. I bought a couple albums on iTunes, Black Waltz and Hail The Apocalypse and I'm in love with the latter.

I haven't listened to much of their newest record, which is a concept record if I remember correctly, but I'll get there soon. Their songs are all over the place, a bit proggy, a bit Rob Zombie-ish, a bit Mr. Bungle, a bit Marilyn Manson. Singer reminds me of Randy from Lamb Of God and Mike Patton. Guitarists have some pretty cool Ibanez'.

This Hail The Apocalypse record hit me he same way Soilwork's The Ride Majestic did, I loved it the second I heard it and couldn't stop listening to it. I'm very anxious to dig into the rest of their shit.

·
Look what I can do
498 Posts
Never heard of them, thought I was coming in here to talk about cabs.

Your description makes me want to check them out though, gonna add some albums to my Apple music.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
This is good stuff. Had never heard of them before.

They should do a show with The Famine (if they hadn't broken up)

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
I dig them, heard a few tracks before. The singer reminds me of J Mann from Mushroomhead

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts

Shit's getting real.

Personally I don't think Savatage got really good til Mountain King, and Gutter Ballet is my favorite overall, but this song is the fucking jam. HoTMK, Gutter Ballet, EoT are the quintessential ones to own, but a couple of the earlier ones had rad material.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Name seemed familiar but I didn't recognize any of the songs from the OP. Spun 'Hail The Apocalypse' on the way to work today. Neat disc. Dirty word but it's got a kinda Slipknot nu-metal kinda vibe to it.

Got to work and punched them into YouTube, then remembered why the name was familiar. Wow did they ever change their sound!

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, their last two albums are quite different than what they put out before. I haven't bought them yet, but will most likely do so, as it seems instead of going harder into the verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bang your head thing, they said "Fuck it, let's just do whatever the fuck we want." From what I've heard so far from those two albums, it doesn't seem like there's a crowd pleasing big chorus song in there at all. They had tunes on their albums leading up to those that showed they had that Bungle vibe going on, they just seemed to have run with it.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Yeah, this thread got me to give the discography a spin and I'm definitely a fan now. The dude is also a fantastic frontman and vocalist.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
Sorry, but the only thing I can think of when I hear "Avatar" is the ******* movie. Can't get past that. :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I keep meaning to check them out when I see them pop up in guitar mags, but then forget the name for some reason when I'm looking for shit to listen to.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts