Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is killing me inside. I really want to play the new Dragon Age, but I just don't have the attention span. The last game I could actually concentrate on was Skyrim when it first came out.

Since then I've tried a shit ton of games:
-The Witcher 2
-New Deus Ex
-Borderlands 2
-etc. etc.

And the most I can get is like, 5 hours in before I get intensely bored and realize I could be doing stuff in real life.

What is wrong with me? Has anyone else had this happen to them. I really want to waste a shitload of time playing the new Dragon Age over break, and I used to game like a fiend, but it's just not been in me for the past 2.5 years.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Box Smasher)

I'm the same way. Part of the problem is that I rarely have a full couple of hours to play at a time. When you play story-based games 30 mins at a time, it is hard to get absorbed into it.

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
^This is my problem too. I actually do better with games that are sort of light on story that you can pick up and play for 15 minutes our 3 hours, like Borderlands. Or multiplayer games. Which sucks, because I fucking love Dragon Age style RPGs that are intended for you to sink a hundred hours into.

That said, I still catch the bug real bad for certain games. I played so much fucking Arkham Asylum/Arkham City, Mass Effect, and Diablo 3. :lol:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed with both of you.

I'm also at the stage where I'm willing to bitch about how games were better in my youth to anyone who will listen. I still bust out 20 minute sessions in UT2004 sometimes but that's about it.

Like, I just want to go back in time to when Morrowind was so incredibly bitching that I faked sick just to stay home from school and play it.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Yeah, it's rare that I have the time to sit down and crank into a 30-70 hour RPG. Which sucks, since I still have a fair few waiting to be played.

However, I play games like Frozen Synapse or FTL all the time, since they're engaging, can be played in short bursts, and are easily portable on an iPad.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I still have to play FTL, but Frozen Synapse is so, so good.
FTL is incredible. Brutally unforgiving and a relatively steep learning curve, but still incredible. I have sunk many, many hours into that game, even after unlocking all the ships (which was no small feat in the pre-Advanced Edition update!)

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Between work work 5 times, gym 3 times, and band practice once during a Mon-Fri working week, and gym/housey shit on a Saturday, I rarely have time to sit and play anything. It kind of infuriates me, as gaming is what I LOVED when growing up. Much more so than playing guitar.
I used to play the original MW as part of a 'part-time' clan for cash and made a bit of money off that. UT2K4 was a total time-vampire too. Now I keep getting bum-raped by mouthy teenagers. I have come to realise though how many people around the world have apparently boned my mama.
I dare say if I still lived at home and was single I'd play a shitload more games.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I tend to binge, I've noticed, but I don't think that's new for me.

I won't play a game at all for a while, then I'll get totally immersed. I think I've always done that - I went on total Baldur's Gate binges twice (and I'll probably have to do it a third time, as both times I sort of ran out of time to play in the Underdark, so I still haven't beat it - CAN I install it on a modern Mac?), once took a week off work at the very end of the year when I had some vacation time to burn to play through the firzt Zelda game on the Wii, and then after the second CFA exam (and then again when 2.1 came out) I played a LOT of Diablo III.

Usually I'll binge like crazy, until suddenly I just lose interest. Zelda, I spent the first half of the week waking up, brewing a pot of coffee, and then playing all day. By the end of the week, I'd wake up, cook a leisurely breakfast, play for a couple hours, run some errands, play another hour or two, and then make plans with friends for a while. This time around on DIII, I was pouring time into a Season character an hour or two a night most nights after work until my Nook showed up. I decided to christen it by downloading The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, and lo and behold I've found reading about slaying demons is way more exciting than slaying demons myself in a video game.

I'm like this in a lot of areas of life, actually (little known fact - maybe 80% of the lead guitar on my album was recorded in a span of 2 1/2 weeks, and 90% of my prep for the CFA (300 hours recommended) was done over about two months right before the exam, when I quit my job to study (and also because I hated it)). I'm probably somewhere on the ADD spectrum. :lol:

·
I have angered the Noodles
2,662 Posts
I miss the days I could wake up, and play until I beat Half Life 2. :lol:

Recently, I'll play things that don't tend to take up a huge amount of time, just because I can't sink that time in, like all of you guys. Kid, work, all that. But, if a new Dark Souls game comes out, I'm screwed. I've got about 120 hours in DS2.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
I went on total Baldur's Gate binges twice (and I'll probably have to do it a third time, as both times I sort of ran out of time to play in the Underdark, so I still haven't beat it - CAN I install it on a modern Mac?)
Yes, check out the Enhanced Edition. It's funny you should mention it, they finally fixed the quirky path-finding, some 14 years after the original game came out. :lol:

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
I went on total Baldur's Gate binges twice (and I'll probably have to do it a third time, as both times I sort of ran out of time to play in the Underdark, so I still haven't beat it - CAN I install it on a modern Mac?
Yep. Good Old Games has Mac ports of Baldur's Gate I & II, Icewind Dale I & II, & Planescape Torment. There are also the Enhanced Editions on Steam (as well as iOS and Android), which are kind of nice because they incorporate a lot of bug fixes, clean up some UI stuff, and include some extra features, like having the BGII class kits in BG I and Icewind Dale. There are also some brand new characters + questlines they included in BG I & II but they're paid DLC on the ipad version and I haven't heard great things about them anyway. More than enough content in those games without adding more.

I re-played the Baldur's Gate EE and am taking the same character through BG II on iPad, and I'd recommend it. I also picked up the Icewind Dale EE on steam when it dropped and have been playing that a bit on my mac. It looks absolutely gorgeous on a retina screen.

Edit: Beaten. :rofl:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The Enhanced Edition is awesome. :yesway:

I haven't ever finished Icewind Dale or Torment. Torment is one I really should pick back up for its story, and Icewind Dale to exercise my atrophied D&D minmaxing skills :lol:

·
is on drug whatever
6,523 Posts
I just don't have the time anymore, I find I watch more 'Let's Play' videos than I actually game, my bassist and I will occasionally dick about on a Minecraft server we have and if I have a hangover I might fire up my xbox, but that's rare these days... That being said I do play a lot of Football Manager at work. :lol:

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
The Enhanced Edition is awesome. :yesway:

I haven't ever finished Icewind Dale or Torment. Torment is one I really should pick back up for its story, and Icewind Dale to exercise my atrophied D&D minmaxing skills :lol:
I forgot how hilariously arcane 2nd edition D&D rules are. I picked up the Baldur's Gate EE and had to reintroduce myself to all that THAC0 bullshit. :lol:

And yeah I need to finish Torment too. GOG actually had all the D&D games on sale a while back. Since Icewind Dale II and Planescape don't have Enhanced Editions yet, and since they were like $4 a pop, I snagged both of them. :yesway:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I haven't noticed this. I don't play as much or often as I used to, but every once in a while I have a weekend completely free and just sit down and play. And when I get into the story during the weekend, I can also play for shorter periods during the week without a problem. This autumn I've played Wasteland 2 for about 70-80 hours, and also played some other games a bit.

I'm also definitely going to pick up BG2: EE for my tablet, even though I've finished BG2 about a hundred times. BG2 is one of the best games ever.

·
CA Manager / RHLC
1,399 Posts
...And the most I can get is like, 5 hours in before I get intensely bored and realize I could be doing stuff in real life.

What is wrong with me? Has anyone else had this happen to them. I really want to waste a shitload of time playing the new Dragon Age over break, and I used to game like a fiend, but it's just not been in me for the past 2.5 years.
This is it for me. After a 3 hours session I just feel like I spent a bunch of time avoiding real life. That, and it's hard to stare at a screen for a few more hours after working all day :lol:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts