Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Samick Guitar

I have seen a LP shaped on at a pawn shop and the older music store that is Long gone here used to carry them. but I never tryed any and wanted to know some opinions from people that knew what they are talking about :lol:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted (HTC_Dream Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-ca; Build/CUPCAKE) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

They're decent guitars

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just wonder because I never see anyone playing them anywhere, but the first guitar store here wouldn't sell anything BUT them.

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
Samick used to manufacture Epiphones, and some other Korean-made guitars. I imagine they play about as well as a late 90's Epi. I stopped following this stuff after Cort/etc moved to Indo, and Epi moved to China. It's hard to say who makes what anymore.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I've got a samick strat shape with a smaller than usual body but full size neck. My mother brought it home from an action a couple of years ago. I normally just use it for slide stuff as it's fairly cheap, the neck doesn't feel great on it either.
Some of the sops here used to have a good few of the normal models and they seemed like standard enough cheaper copies.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did not know they made epiphones.. or the same warehouse made them. :ugh:

There was a NICE ass Explorer shaped one that the guitar shop here before they wanted $600, which now that I know more about them seems fair. It had a quilted top was green :yum: Someone stole it out of the shop though. then took it down the road and pawned it. :nuts:

Samick Rockwell Gibson Explorer,FREE Shipping, Best Prices, 800-788-9552

I once saw the guy that worked at the shop LEAVE the shop with the door open, then go down to shops to get a candy bar..:nuts: he was gone a good 5 minutes. I sat in the truck to makesure no one would leave with the guitars, but Appartently after that happened someone got the Explorer/Rockwell :noplease:

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
I own a Samick bass. Pickups are noisy but I love the tone they give and how the bass looks. Not bad for non-Japan made but it's pretty much mid-low end stuff

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I own a Samick bass. Pickups are noisy but I love the tone they give and how the bass looks. Not bad for non-Japan made but it's pretty much mid-low end stuff

:cool: I like those paintjobs.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
I don't know how they did that paint job, but it's not flay looking. Too bad the body's mostly made of glue and wood from what I've been told.

·
Its Nis Pe, bitch!
605 Posts
I own a Samick Formula 2 and that's been my main sixxer for the better part of my playing career. Its part of the Greg Bennett line, which basically combines aesthetics from Gibson, Fender and PRS into the instruments. I've modified the sucker heavily, but I've always loved the neck carve, look and playability that this fiddle has. Sounds pretty decent with some Duncans in it too.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The Greg Bennett Samick stuff is solid.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I saw that the site I linked had Bennett guitars, then those JTR models and like two others I was wondering what the differences were, But I guess the designs or something are the difference :lol:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Samick is or was a major OEM for some guitar companies, as mentioned Epiphone, etc.

My buddy bought a Samick 7-string and it of course had cheap pickups and hardware, but it was basically solid. The neck wouldn't take a good setup, so I think he sort of got a lemon, but then by the time I got to it the guitar had been pretty well abused too. I hacked a few better parts onto it and it was a reasonable player for the $150 or so that he spent on it.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Samick is or was a major OEM for some guitar companies, as mentioned Epiphone, etc.

My buddy bought a Samick 7-string and it of course had cheap pickups and hardware, but it was basically solid. The neck wouldn't take a good setup, so I think he sort of got a lemon, but then by the time I got to it the guitar had been pretty well abused too. I hacked a few better parts onto it and it was a reasonable player for the $150 or so that he spent on it.
:metal: I would love to have a place that has them out so I can try them again. but I haven't found any store with them around here

·
In brightest day...
422 Posts
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.983 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

My first guitar was a Sammick strat. I loved the shit out of it. I still have it but rarely play it anymore. It was a good guitar. The neck was solid and felt nice, but the body wood wasn't the best. I still think about replacing the body every now and then. I've already replaced every piece of hardware on it, so whynot?

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
I had some Samick basses about 11 years ago, and they were pretty decently built, as far as I can remember. I currently have a Greg Bennett acoustic that I rather like.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had some Samick basses about 11 years ago, and they were pretty decently built, as far as I can remember. I currently have a Greg Bennett acoustic that I rather like.
cool. I know a guy here that has a samick bass.. he hasnt played it in like 5 years though.. I should see if he'd sell it :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts