Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently thinking about a 6 string, just for fun, so a low-budget model it shall be, and i definitely want a Les Paul (copy of course). I've read some good stuff about the Vintage LP copies, but they are nowhere available near to me - and all reviews i've read are written by users - so i dont know if they are REALLY good, or if they just want to justify their fail-purchase...also: i trust you guys much more than the average HCAF review writer...

Also interesting would be the cheaper Tokais...but again: nowhere in Austria available.

And no, no Epiphones...hate me, but their headstock is really killing it for me.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Tokai LP and strats are great :agreed: (I had a strat for years and have played several LPs that were all awesome)

How about an epiphone?

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
other than that, the PRS SE singlecuts are supposed to be VERY good guitars for the money (around 600€)
I love mine. It's just shockingly nice, for what I paid for it. Play a couple, but once you pick up a good one, buy it. :yesway:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
The vintages are sweet for what they are, but theres better bang for your buck, such as agile and especially as people have mentioned, PRS SE singlecuts.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
The PRS singlecuts are nice, but they really have nothing in common with a Les Paul except for both having a single cutaway.

My choice for a Les Paul copy right now would be an ESP Edwards. They aren't officially available outside Japan, but tons of them get listed on eBay.

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the hints guys!

Christian, i really thought long about buying the worn brown, but then i always thought - "damn, for just 300 more i could already snap a "real" one in a nice sunburst!" (which is what i'm really after hahaha)

The Agiles - not available in Europe, and with all import costs they are not that cheap anymore unfortunately.

The PRS...hmmm, REALLY nice guitars and the one i've played was also a real good guitar, but not exactly what i'm looking for.

The Edwards seem to be great, the get a lot of good rep around here...

Hm, i think i will wait a bit and save up some more money....

·
Registered
132 Posts
My housemates lead guitarist quite often plays a snow white Vintage Les Paul. It feels pretty solid and I've heard him getting some pretty decent tone from it.

The nearest music shop to me always seems to have them in stock but they are horribly hit and miss. Definatly a case of "try before you buy" with them.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thanks for the hints guys!

Christian, i really thought long about buying the worn brown, but then i always thought - "damn, for just 300 more i could already snap a "real" one in a nice sunburst!" (which is what i'm really after hahaha)
you mean the fireburst studio?

that is definitely a beautiful guitar.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Vintage are a brand part of the JHS group. While the company may be the biggest bunch of wankers, the guitars are fuckin g incredible.

My acoustic Vintage V400N is fantastic. When they came out they were the first acoustic to offer a solid top for less than £250 - and this guitar cost £119. Really, really good, good construction and fantastic bang:back.

Assuming your budget is as low as what you're suggesting, the Vintage's are probably the best you're going to get, and are infinitely better than Epiphones at that price point.

As always, I'd suggest you look second hand rather than buying new as you will inevitably get more guitar for your money, but if you have to buy new, you can't go far wrong with the Vintage series.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts