Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Buy Audix Cab Grabber | Mic Clips & Clamps | Musician's Friend

I really like the idea - basically, a way to "lock" a mic in position on a cab so you can just leave it there and not worry about accidentally jostling it and having it move on you. However, $50 is while not super-prohibitive a little pricy (especially since I'd ideally like to grab two, as perfectly immoble mics would be way more appealing for 2-mic setups), and this thing is evidently good up to 14", while my Recto 2x12 is 14.25" so it's RIGHT on the line there.

Is there anything else similar on the market I ought to consider?

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
Those aren't a bad idea. A good mic stand that isn't going to fall apart/slip is gonna cost you between 30 and 50 bucks anyways, and if you are strapped for room, it seems like a good idea. I'm actually considering a pair of those right now. (only since you brought them up."

You could always mask out on the cab where you would put it, then mask a tiny like square where you normally point it too. That way when you move your cab you always get the rough same tone. there might be similar stuff on the market with more traditional clips, instead of slipping on the full cab. These look sturdy though.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem with that (which is a good idea anyway) is it doesn't really capture mic angle and distance. With a picture you can probably get awfully close after the fact, but that's still a bit iffy.

I know, it really is a pretty nifty idea. I'm sort of wondering if maybe I could build something similar. :shrug:

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
yeah, it would depend how much distance you like between your mic and your cab. you could always buy an extender too. which would drive the price up even more. I have experimented with mic placement and always come back to close micing with a 57. i just tend to prefer that sound over a "near"(12 inches away etc) mic'd guitar cab. I think these would be extremely useful for live sound as well.

edit: it looks like you can angle the mic any way you like. i might be wrong though.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Worth pointing out, it only really works with Audix mics. An SM57 won't work - it's too long for the cabgrabber so it rubs against the grill cloth.
Ahh, well that blows. :yesway:

Still, it's a neat idea. I'll have to look into building something like this.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:bump:

Pulled the trigger last weekend anyway, figuring I could just return it if it didn't work out. It came in the mail today and since I was home running a few errands I opened it up when I got home.

Despite the claimed 14" max, it'll JUST fit on a 14.5" Recto cab. Definitely a little bit of stretch and (as the thing is spring loaded to clamp onto cab, so you put it on by pulling it apart) it's probably not happy about it (and thus not super easy to make delicate position adjustments to), but it works.

I want to mark off mic position before moving it, but so far eyeballing it using it with a close-mic'd SM57 shouldn't be a problem. I also picked up a short gooseneck for more distant mic positioning (for example, the Nady RSM-4 I've been using for leads seems at it's best towards the end and maybe a little out of proximity effect range), which is probably a good idea anyway if you grab one of these, since the arm doesn't seem to offer much in the way of distance positioning.

That said, I think I'll be dropping Kevan a line - this is a cool product, but I can think of about six or seven ways it could be better and I haven't even hit record yet, and he's probably the best guy to talk to. :lol:

Thoughts later, once I get it fully up and running.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update - the device is, in fact, too short to work with a SM57, has no distance adjustment, and while adding a gooseneck helps, it also increases the weight on the arm to the point where it becomes really unstable and I doubt it'd hold over time. So, I'm returning it.

Funny thing is, I'm pretty sure the one they sent me had been previously returned as well - the pastic shell had been closed with clear tape. :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Yeah. Call Kevan. If he had bought one there would be a tirade, a picstory, and a bunch of parts custom-fabricated in his basement out of zip ties and scrap aluminum.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I sent him an email yesterday afternoon with a link to this thread, a couple problems with the device, and a few ideas to make it better. I'm really curious to hear what he has to say. :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts