Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stumbled upon these two modders and watched a few youtube videoes.

What intrigues me the most is that they mod 5150s/6550s and from what I have seen in the videos it sounds pretty good.

Has anyone tried it in person?

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I bought, from Donnie (I mean, from who else?!), a JCA20 modded by FJA. It was badass. FJA = cred.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought, from Donnie (I mean, from who else?!), a JCA20 modded by FJA. It was badass. FJA = cred.
How did you arrive at that decision at that time?

That too looks like an appealing deal for the modded the JCA20.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Well, at the time, I'd never really played any JCA's. Just bought Donnie's on a lark because it looked cool :lol:. I can't say how the modded one sounded versus the stock one, save for what FJA actually did; added a tube gain stage on a footswitch.

Whether or not the badassery was coming mostly from the amp or the mod, I can definitely tell you that it didn't *look* like a modded amp. It looked stock, and the extra functionality didn't sound noisy or scratchy or anything. Sounded like they built it that way.

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
Much interest on the JCA part too..just getting ready to get the JCA22 next week just because there are a few guys like FJA and Soldano himself that do plenty of cool things with them..besides they can be very nice with a basic tube swap and with all the talk about Tungsol EL84s I was wondering myself. Leon please pontificate kind Sir.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, at the time, I'd never really played any JCA's. Just bought Donnie's on a lark because it looked cool :lol:. I can't say how the modded one sounded versus the stock one, save for what FJA actually did; added a tube gain stage on a footswitch.

Whether or not the badassery was coming mostly from the amp or the mod, I can definitely tell you that it didn't *look* like a modded amp. It looked stock, and the extra functionality didn't sound noisy or scratchy or anything. Sounded like they built it that way.
LOL must be nice to be able to buy amps on a lark! :)

From what I can tell these two companies have earned solid reputations so I tend to believe the hype.

That said I'd probably consider some of the more basic mods (e.g. Voodoo for the Peaveys has pricing ranging from 250 to 1000). I'm not sure my ears are good enough to discern the improvements when you go from 250 to 500 to 1000. Wish there was a shoot out video of stock vs the three levels of mods.

For 500 for a used 5150 + 250 mods + shipping = probably an amp better than what you could get for the same price stock/new

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Personally, I'd get a stock 5150 if you can find one, play on it for a few weeks, THEN think about what YOU would like changed about it.

Then post up here again, we'll all tell you to get the 6505+ ( :lol: ), then talk to the dudes at FJA/Voodoo, and they can probably hook you up.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Much interest on the JCA part too..just getting ready to get the JCA22 next week just because there are a few guys like FJA and Soldano himself that do plenty of cool things with them..besides they can be very nice with a basic tube swap and with all the talk about Tungsol EL84s I was wondering myself. Leon please pontificate kind Sir.
The mods on my JCA20 are basically the things that the JCA22 is :lol:

...which, I also have, because I kinda missed the sound of that modded JCA20 :D

BTW, thread on the FJA modded JCA20: http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum/guitar-gear-discussion/30658-nad-56k-28k-28k.html

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
A friend of mine had an FJA modified 5150 that started having some issues after a couple years, brought it back to FJA who couldn't debug the problem, so he sent it to Voodoo who fixed it promptly.

I have no idea how rare or how common any of that is but its worth mentioning.

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
The mods on my JCA20 are basically the things that the JCA22 is :lol:

...which, I also have, because I kinda missed the sound of that modded JCA20 :D

BTW, thread on the FJA modded JCA20: http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum/guitar-gear-discussion/30658-nad-56k-28k-28k.html
Thanks. Just what I wanted to see but as I was opening this thread I think my eye caught a glimpse of what I think just may be you selling the power amp Ive been wanting and I cant have both. Im afraid to look...but Im gonna.

4,429 Posts
Voodoo does an excellent job, I've played a modified dual rec and it was monstrous. I've also played a couple of their own models and they were some pretty spectacular amps. I'd call them up and talk to them about the differences between their mod packages and see what is best for you and your price range.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a Voodoo modded Dual Rec, and it is a pretty solid piece. Compared side by side with a stock one all the guys in the studio thought mine sounded better. Everyone had a different explanation for why they thought so, but they all preferred the Voodoo.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a Voodoo modded Dual Rec, and it is a pretty solid piece. Compared side by side with a stock one all the guys in the studio thought mine sounded better. Everyone had a different explanation for why they thought so, but they all preferred the Voodoo.
Wow I bet it kicks ass!

I was looking at the Peavey mods which to me is like a souped up Honda Civic.

Your dual rec is like strapping a rocket to a Ferrari! :D

If I had the money I would certainly consider a Mesa or Gibson to start and mod if I felt like it. For me personally, I think if I was getting into that territory the Axe FX would start to enter into the equation.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm the happy owner of a 5150 modded by the tech who officially does Voodoo's mods here in Europe.

I opened it once to change the resistor for the bias pot;
besides from the choke installation it's a pretty simple mod, but sounds like Death Metal heaven.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Modding a 5150 is a much better decision than modding a Civic. Every time.

·
Ginger chug
78 Posts
Had an FJA modded Single Rec series 2; the thing was a monster. Upgraded transformer for more headroom on the cleans, a built in gain boost on the bass knob. Tighter, no fizz, everything you'd want changed in a Recto for the better, he does. I really wish Mesa would offer this stuff in a package on their amps.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Interesting I wasn't expecting as many comments regarding Mesa Recs.

I always thought that modding was for lower end stuff but now that I think about it EVH and Slash both at some point used modded Marshalls.

Another interesting point is that last poster wondering about why amp companies don't offer more customization.

Heck why not make it like the modded version who wouldn't want more headroom and less fizz?

Carvin jumps to mind as a company that is offering more options for guitars. Would be interesting to see if any companies eventually offer this on the amp side. Think it would be cool to be able to choose tube types, gain stages, transformers, eq options (e.g. individual controls per channel), effects (reverb), effects loops etc.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

It costs extra in R&D and probably isnt cost effective. People will mod no matter what, so companies just aim to put out a solid product.

·
The Singlecut King of Northern VA
2,299 Posts
You have to remember they all had modded marshalls for more gain which was an issue back in the day, not so much today.

Trace does a good job at what he does, and if you want to plug straight into an amp and not have to think about anything then his modded stuff is the way to go. He stands behind his work, answers questions and seems to be an all around good guy. He hangs around the mesa board and will answer questions if he is not too busy.

Personally I owned for awhile a 3 channel voodoo modded dual rec. It was a good sounding amp but if you ask me it made it not so much a Rec anymore, kind of a mix between a rec and a mark. Honestly I could get the same sounds or close enough out of a normal rec with EQ pedal and a boost.

For a good idea of Voodoo dual rec tone check out any live work by rrammstein, I know one of the guitarists uses only voodoo modded two channel recs.

Interesting I wasn't expecting as many comments regarding Mesa Recs.

I always thought that modding was for lower end stuff but now that I think about it EVH and Slash both at some point used modded Marshalls.

Another interesting point is that last poster wondering about why amp companies don't offer more customization.

Heck why not make it like the modded version who wouldn't want more headroom and less fizz?

Carvin jumps to mind as a company that is offering more options for guitars. Would be interesting to see if any companies eventually offer this on the amp side. Think it would be cool to be able to choose tube types, gain stages, transformers, eq options (e.g. individual controls per channel), effects (reverb), effects loops etc.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

Having owned this amp myself for a while, I have to say I wasn't all that impressed with the mods. It had the clean channel mob--a second volume knob was added to the unit, to control a footswitchable cut out of gain stages--and the thing made an awful, very loud popping sound whenever the amp was switched to clean mode. That made it absolutely useless to me, and I think the JC22H would be the better route to go (although that didn't exist at the time).

I also felt the additional gain stage did the amp no favors, since it wasn't very articulate compared to stock. I felt the gain knob on my tube screamer was the better route to go, since the stock amp sounded fine. It had the fat mod, too, which should have been called the flub and wolf mod.

To be fair, I've never played a SLO derivative (Recto, 5150, JC20/JC22) that I've liked after modifications. The mods always seem to neuter the amp, and that was exactly the case here. Marshalls just seem to take better to it, but YMMV. Personally, if the amp doesn't do what I want, I look for a different amp. :2c:

Personally I owned for awhile a 3 channel voodoo modded dual rec. It was a good sounding amp but if you ask me it made it not so much a Rec anymore, kind of a mix between a rec and a mark. Honestly I could get the same sounds or close enough out of a normal rec with EQ pedal and a boost.
This would be one of the examples I was talking about, since I felt that Voodoo cut that amp's nuts off. Sure, it didn't have the "Recto fizz", but it also didn't have the Recto grind or Recto gut punch. That amp would have been perfect for playing boring Santana solos over crappy songs written by Top 40 pop artists.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts