Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started playing guitar seriously about five years ago. In the first year or so I was on the ball - had regimented practice, learned chord shapes and songs every week, and was getting to the point where I could play some metal rhythm pretty fast and was writing riffs and songs that I actually kinda liked. But I never moved past being the combination Wonderwall party guy and riff lord, and have stagnated in the years since as life intervened. I want to fix that.

I never really figured out how you're supposed to practice to learn to shred or understand the guitar - I know people say play slow, work on scales, learn music theory, etc. but I never figured out how to take the general suggestions from the internet and turn it into a practice regimen. I still couldn't tell you the difference between a circle of fifths and a CAGED and a mode or whatever.

I think the answer is finding a good teacher, but I'm currently riding out the plague in the middle of nowhere and Google is fucking worthless for looking up how good anything is now. Do any of y'all have teachers who give online lessons that you like? Are there any serious online lessons/apps/books for practicing to become an advanced guitarist that you like?

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
+1 to Angel. Super nice, super talented!

I'm currently taking lessons from Mike Martin. He really knows his theory, and I personally witnessed him rocking out so hard he broke a trem arm in front of Steve Vai :lol:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Asynchronous lessons are nice because you can squeeze them in whenever you have time, but yeah, automated payment services can be painful :lol:

You'll certainly pay more for in-person lessons, but you'll get more from them, IME.

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
I remember seeing this and being curious about it, but I couldn't figure out if there's an option to easily cancel without sending an e-mail, which is my biggest pet peeve with services like this.
Can cancel via the site if i remember right.

I have actually been thinking about giving that a whirl.
It is good.

THe other thing you get with this which is nice is a FB community, where they do a weekly shredule which is weekly excercise bundles to keep it fresh and a plan to follow. Admittedly it is slightly focused to fans on monuments and Johns playing (so there is a more progressive djent bit to it, however, do NOT let this put you off at all), but John is a monster rhythm player, and all the excercises are ones that will help you out and improve what you're doing and get you thinking about stuff. It's good.

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
Also, i might add, it got me back into practicing basics and getting speed back up to scratch. ANd, there's quite a few old fogeys in the FB community, and strict rules stopping people from spamming their band shit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts