Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about asking for one of these for my birthday/christmas present. I know Axe Fx is probably better but out of my price range. I can grab one of these for $700 w/free ship. Plus it comes with Pro Tools LE.

Anyone have one or at least used one? Main purpose will be for a home studio for the man cave.

·
18,790 Posts
I haven't personally used one, but I've heard some good reviews. I considered one for a while, but instead went for an MBox 2 and a POD X3 :shrug: My main concern with the Eleven Rack is it going obsolete. The Axe-FX is constantly updated, and no where near using its full hardware potential yet, whereas Digidesign is known for making you buy the new shit to get the new shit :lol:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Go try them out. And the new ones when they come out. They've got some decent tones right now in their top-end stuff, but nobody goes bonkers over them.

The Axe-Fx is kind of a different piece of gear - truckloads more options, and no spinny knobs to change your tone and stuff. It's a rackmount computer. A Line6 product is a computer too, but you get to adjust things in a more "amp-like" fashion, so it's also more traditional and familiar in a way.

·
It's just a joke
115 Posts
Axe-fx is currently the best there is, but, it's not a recording interface like the pod or 11. You will need a separate interface.
Which, to me, is somewhat of a good thing. if you are buying good gear, you probably want a multi-track recording interface anyway. Gear doesn't need to be all things to all people (though the Axe is close).

I just tried recording direct with my Axe-fx for the first time yesterday. o_O wow that thing sounds good. And it sounds exactly the same through the studio monitors as it does through the Atomic.

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
Which, to me, is somewhat of a good thing. if you are buying good gear, you probably want a multi-track recording interface anyway. Gear doesn't need to be all things to all people (though the Axe is close).

I just tried recording direct with my Axe-fx for the first time yesterday. o_O wow that thing sounds good. And it sounds exactly the same through the studio monitors as it does through the Atomic.
Yes, I agree, but tbh, If I had $2k to spend I'd rather use it on a 11 and a good interface than an axe-fx. this is depending on the style of music I was into, the pod is actually quite good for metal and the 11 is really good for rock.
Imo the afx is a profesionals tool, while the pod&digi11 is a nice tool for journeymen.

·
It's just a joke
115 Posts
Yes, I agree, but tbh, If I had $2k to spend I'd rather use it on a 11 and a good interface than an axe-fx. this is depending on the style of music I was into, the pod is actually quite good for metal and the 11 is really good for rock.
Imo the afx is a profesionals tool, while the pod&digi11 is a nice tool for journeymen.
The way I see it, the afx is for people with enough disposable income to buy an afx. ;)

But when I was thinking about getting the afx I asked myself "how long do I intend to play guitar". When the answer was "basically till I'm dead" then the investment of 2k for a really awesome piece of gear is trivial. Space that out over a month and compare that to other hobbies and things people do. Even the amount you spend on gas for your car in a year.

Getting something like the afx and then being done with the GAS and just enjoying... pretty cheap to me. An ok recording interface for one input can be gotten quite cheaply. I got my mine for 70 bucks used.

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
the man said he had $700, so the afx shouldn't even be mentioned except for giving the advice to save more;)
You're correct about the investment though, I'm definitely getting one as soon as I can afford one, until then my x3live will suffice.
And you will never be done with the gas, there will definitely be other stuff down the road.

·
It's just a joke
115 Posts
And you will never be done with the gas, there will definitely be other stuff down the road.
Oh that's true... but at least for me I notice it dying down. When I had cheaper gear... I got it because it was what I could afford vs what I wanted.

Now that I have what I want.. I find the GAS fading.

People with eternal GAS either want everything or never really know what they want. One of the things about the Axe is that I don't have to know.. I just have to program it in.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
im kinda leaning towards the pod x3 pro. I would be able to use a bass guitar on that also, and voice.. it just seems the pod has more features.
The Axe has bass amp models, and I'm sure it wouldn't have any problem doing vocals if you really wanted vocal effects. Hell, it has a Vocoder :lol:

EDIT: That's if you're saying the Axe doesn't have it, if you're talking about the 11 rack, I have no idea.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The concern I would have about a Eleven Rack is that the amps and effects are pretty limited. I've heard that they sound pretty good but the really high gain tones I've heard on youtube weren't all that impressive to me. If you're recording a lot of really high gain stuff, you might be happier with the POD.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
While I agree with Richard, basing an opinion of a piece of gear off a youtube clip wouldn't be the best idea, though I've done the same thing before too. I will say it's always best to actually play a piece of gear and learn about it first hand. And not just in a store, but with time to really mess with it, which is a luxury few of us get with a new piece of gear, unfortunately.

I hear good things about the eleven rack, but have you looked at the newer model digitechs? You can get the Digitech 1101 for about $400-$500 and I've heard a lot of guys say they love this thing.

·
Registered
371 Posts
While I agree with Richard, basing an opinion of a piece of gear off a youtube clip wouldn't be the best idea, though I've done the same thing before too. I will say it's always best to actually play a piece of gear and learn about it first hand. And not just in a store, but with time to really mess with it, which is a luxury few of us get with a new piece of gear, unfortunately.

I hear good things about the eleven rack, but have you looked at the newer model digitechs? You can get the Digitech 1101 for about $400-$500 and I've heard a lot of guys say they love this thing.
Vince brings up a good point. I guess I got use to doing that when I was looking at whether to buy my Axe Fx Ultra because I couldn't try it before I bought it. LOL

I have heard good things about the Digitech 1101 as well but haven't played through one. The one benefit that I really liked about the Eleven rack is the fact that it can take some strain off of your CPU for your guitar tracks. The idea of using it as a recording interface didn't really do anything for me because interfaces are so affordable but the limited number of effects and and amps really did turn me off a lot.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Maybe, but what are you running? From my experience, most any computer out in the last 5 years or so can run any multi-track software pretty effortlessly. There shouldn't be much strain on the CPU to begin with.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Maybe, but what are you running? From my experience, most any computer out in the last 5 years or so can run any multi-track software pretty effortlessly. There shouldn't be much strain on the CPU to begin with.
I use a laptop that was made fairly recently with M-Powered Protools. Between running Guitar Rig 4 on multiple guitar tracks along with the bass track, Steven Slate Drums, and running various plug-ins for multiple vocal parts. It sometimes gets to the point where I have to start printing some of the tracks or making some of them inactive so that I don't run out of processing power when I master. The idea of having some additional horse power handling some of the guitar tracks is attractive.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.