Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm back home and my parents have a 2 year old Zenith projection television. (Z52DC2D) that stopped working as of Sunday.

Normally, there would be a red standby light on the front when the television is turned off and green when turned on. The television won't turn on anymore, and the standby light is not lit up anymore either.

They don't have any Zenith dealership in town where they can bring it in, so I was thinking of having some parts shipped here so that I can try and fix it before I leave.

The problem of course, is that I'm not 100% on what the problem is, whether it's the lamp, the ballast, or something else.

I'm hoping it's just the lamp, as that's an easy fix, but the fact that the standby light is off leads me to believe it might not be the lamp, unless these stupid fucking piece of shit projection televisions work that way.

Any input?

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't opened it up yet, but me checking the fuse would go as follows;

1. Open op the TV
2. Find what I believe is the fuse
3. Stare at it
4. Stare some more
5. Wait for someone to walk by and say "That fuse needs to be replaced"

How would I go about checking if its the fuse?

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it plugged in? :lol:

It wasn't! It's fixed now! Thanks soooo much!!!!111!

Get out. :squint:

Also,

It could just be the lamp, if it's blown, it may have a protection circuit to prevent you from powering it up with a blown lamp. :shrug:
If that's true, then that's fucking stupid. At least power up and blink the lights in morse code telling me "Yo dawg, your lamp needs to be replaced."

·
18,790 Posts
I haven't opened it up yet, but me checking the fuse would go as follows;

1. Open op the TV
2. Find what I believe is the fuse
3. Stare at it
4. Stare some more
5. Wait for someone to walk by and say "That fuse needs to be replaced"

How would I go about checking if its the fuse?
Check continuity with a multimeter, or put in a new fuse and see if the problem's fixed :yesway:

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
Is this a CRT or DLP projection set. From your prior posts I'm assuming DLP?

I'm afraid I don't know much about the DLP sets. It sounds like your technical expertise is limited in any case. I have marginal expertise but my father is an electronics tech. I had to toss two old CRT units last year because they just weren't worth fixing. Once the caustic cooling liquid drains out of the CRT's onto the circuit boards the chances of resurrection are limited.

At only two years old I'm assuming you're looking at a DLP set. Your best friend at this point is going to be a copious dose of google foo. :shrug:

....or maybe Leon. :leon:

Edit: http://http://www.ehow.com/zenith-tv/

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts

:sharpie:
I was honestly thinking the same thing. With LCD/LED techology and pricing where it is now, why buy a projection or DLP set anymore?

I bought a badass 120 Hz 1080p 46" last year for $800, and it'll last either a very long time with no maintenance, or until my son puts a shoe through the screen :lol:

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was honestly thinking the same thing. With LCD/LED techology and pricing where it is now, why buy a projection or DLP set anymore?
I'll make sure to lol at my parents for making such a bad purchase decision. While I'm at it, i'll give my dad crap for still having a flip phone, and not an iPhone.

My parents are ready to toss this television in the basement, letting it rot away, and purchase a new television in its place. All I want to do, if possible is to get a couple more years out of this one for a fraction of the cost of a new television.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Chances of you checking this old post are nil, but I'd bet dollars to donuts (doughnuts?) the power supply has failed. Easy to repair and even easier to replace if you can find one complete.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts