1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some pretty...interesting designs coming out! :lol:

DeltaWing Prototype:

DeltaWing Racing Cars

Nice ideas in here, plenty of safe braking power as the shape lends itself to rear grip when braking. No idea how it will turn, although it will go fast. Good aero shape from having the wheels covered. I think they were talking about running inline-4s with turbos attached - love the idea personally, although it's distinctly un-American. :lol: Or V6's with smaller turbos. Whole thing will be regulated by fuel tank size and the amount of fuel going into the engine, rather than by displacement, turbo, or rpm - to try and open up the engine field to many more companies.

Dallara designs:

Boring to me, they bring nothing new to the table.

Swift (the company who make the gorgeous cars in Formula Nippon) came up with this:

Definitely my favourite, very pretty. Designed so that if car touch the car behind is pushed down into the ground rather than up, where at 300km/h they tend to flip up into the wind and fly away.

I'll be honest, IRL is still very boring, but this could make it a bit more interesting, short of getting some proper racetracks. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
There's no way that the DeltaWing design will ever make it into competition. That is, unless the IRL wants to bring the sport back to the 70s with the motto: "Race on Sunday. Funeral on Monday".

No crushable structure around the drivers cockpit. Large unprotected areas around the drivers legs and feet. Would you want the front end of that car sideswiping another right around the radiator inlets? Think of what happened to Alex Zanardi, but worse.

The whole flared rear section idea was attempted before back in the early 80's. But USAC banned the design after the one entry in that year's Indy 500, looked like this after meeting the wall.

The biggest obvious difference between then and now, was that the monocoques back then were made of an aluminum honeycomb design. But both Zanardi's and Stan Fox's incidents showed that carbon fiber monocoques still need a crushable surround to keep the integrity of the survival cell in a high speed primary or secondary impact.

So purely from a safety perspective. I'd think that the LOLA design has the best chance of being accepted.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
I like all of the designs, although the DeltaWing is a little too much imho for the reasons mentioned in this thread.

To be honest though, I'd love to see something like the Panoz DP01, or just something more....CART-esque I guess?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts