Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BEADF#B.

Kind of a big, low baritone. Not for use as a guitar, still as a bass, but I'm thinking my brain would wrap itself around that tuning easier than BEADGC, which isn't at all intuitive.

Thoughts? I know there's no rules for tunings, but I'm curious if anyone's ever tried it.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
BEADF#B.

Kind of a big, low baritone. Not for use as a guitar, still as a bass, but I'm thinking my brain would wrap itself around that tuning easier than BEADGC, which isn't at all intuitive.

Thoughts? I know there's no rules for tunings, but I'm curious if anyone's ever tried it.
There are a good number of guitar guys who do that, as well as the BEADGB tuning. I find that the BEADGC works best for the way that I "think" on bass though... YMMV.

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
There are a good number of guitar guys who do that, as well as the BEADGB tuning. I find that the BEADGC works best for the way that I "think" on bass though... YMMV.
Me too.

But in my old band, since my old bass player came from guitar, we tuned his 6-string like a baritone.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh cool, so I am not crazy. I think I shall do that. This is what I'm looking at:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Those 506s are awesome for the price. Super light, great 3-band EQ, solid pickups. Neck is a little slim for my tastes, but if you're used to Ibanez's guitar offerings you'll dig it.

My choice for a six-stringer would be the Schecter Stiletto Studio 6.

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
I have the 5 string version of that Ibanez bass, and it owns. Amazing production instrument. One of the best sounding and playing basses I've ever played, especially considering it's a MIK production instrument.

Good choice. Affordable, too.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those 506s are awesome for the price. Super light, great 3-band EQ, solid pickups. Neck is a little slim for my tastes, but if you're used to Ibanez's guitar offerings you'll dig it.

My choice for a six-stringer would be the Schecter Stiletto Studio 6.
Good to know, I'll check that out too.

I have the 5 string version of that Ibanez bass, and it owns. Amazing production instrument. One of the best sounding and playing basses I've ever played, especially considering it's a MIK production instrument.

Good choice. Affordable, too.
Sweet! Keep in mind I'm not really a bass player, so I'm relatively flying blind, except that the couple Soundgears I've played have been well made and fucking fun to play, even though I don't know WTF I'm doing. :lol:

So appreciate the insight from you gentlemen. :D

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
You'll dig it, Jeff. It's a great bass for guitar players, because of its neck and weight. Doesn't feel awkward or unwieldy.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The Stiletto Studio is much pricier than the SR5XX series and usually significantly heavier, but I like the neck profile (and 35" scale) of the Schecter a lot more. Both will sound great, and it comes down to personal preference which neck you'll like.

A nice in-between model is the Ibanez BTB series. Those use the longer scale and have a neck somewhere between the other two, but are cheaper than the Schecter and a little lighter.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You'll dig it, Jeff. It's a great bass for guitar players, because of its neck and weight. Doesn't feel awkward or unwieldy.
My buddy thought I was nuts for wanting a 6, but to be honest I hate the lack of symmetry in 4's and 5's. It's very OCD of me, but I like B on top, B on the bottom. It's one of the reasons why I've never been able to stick with 7's for the long term.

I need to find a joint that has this thing. Most shops have the 4, maybe the 5, but almost never the 6. They're just not that popular, at least not around here.

The Stiletto Studio is much pricier than the SR5XX series and usually significantly heavier, but I like the neck profile (and 35" scale) of the Schecter a lot more. Both will sound great, and it comes down to personal preference which neck you'll like.

A nice in-between model is the Ibanez BTB series. Those use the longer scale and have a neck somewhere between the other two, but are cheaper than the Schecter and a little lighter.
The $750 of the Stiletto doesn't bother me much, but how is the profile of the neck? I didn't really like the Schecter 7-string profile after awhile. Is the Stiletto thick too? I know comparing bass necks to guitar necks is relatively apples/oranges.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The Stiletto neck is pretty thick, but it's very rounded in a way that is comfortable to me personally. Myself, I like the extra thumb support (tendonitis and all that) but it's not for everyone. Definitely go to a Guitar Center or other major retailer and play any and all 6s they have there... they may not have many, but you'll get to know what shapes you like and what ones you don't... and you might find a nice MTD 6 or Sterling by MusicMan 6 you might get along with too.

I'm way pickier about bass neck profiles than guitars simply because the lengthwise stretches and the slightly higher action on most basses put more strain on my small hands, and it helps to have that extra support to make my life just a bit easier. Also, the extra width on a 6-string bass neck really means that you have to have a profile that gets along with you so you can reach the strings you need without straining.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts