Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if something like this is worth it. I'm not happy at all with my recorded bass tone via a POD and I'm looking for other ways to do this without buying a full bass rig.

TECH 21 - SansAmp Bass Driver DI

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Yes. I have one and it's very cool. Before I bought an SVT and cab it was my go to for bass sounds.

All of the bass sounds on The Longest Night are the Bass driver:

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. Thanks. I think I'm grabbing one.

·
18,790 Posts
Yeah, I'd say, conservative estimate, that 75% of your favourite bass tones are going to be either Ampeg, Sansamp, or a combination of the two, simply because of how often both pieces of gear get used on modern rock/metal recordings. The Sansamp does an excellent job all on its own. Hell, even the plugin version is decent. And if you did end up with a full bass rig, it's not like it would sit around collecting dust, you could use it with that too, or hell, try it into your POD.

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And if you did end up with a full bass rig, it's not like it would sit around collecting dust, you could use it with that too, or hell, try it into your POD.
Good point. :yesway:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I've been using a Sansamp RPM pre with pretty good results lately, though eventually I'll want to sell it and grab the more-bass-specific RBI. It's about $100 more than that, but it's a more flexible rackmountable version which makes it way sexier.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
I've used that DI tonnes of times, I love it.
The bassist in my band has a rackmount sansamp pre, and you can get almost as good a sound with the DI.

It works great for dirtying up a bass tone into an amp, and combining the DI signal and the miced signal from the amp.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Get the VT Bass instead of the Bass Driver. It's just as versatile and doesn't have as much of a mid scoop... plus it does a very convincing Ampeg simulation. I swear by mine, either as a way of getting a shitty backline to sound good or driving a real Ampeg to get some grit without leveling the rehearsal room.

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I picked one up yesterday and it only took a few minutes to realize how fucking cool this thing is once I had it going in Reaper. I'm very pleased. :yesway:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
:metal:

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm definitely back in writing/recording mode now. I can't wait to get home from work lately to get working on stuff. :yesway:

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,798 Posts
Pete, what did you grab? I'm leaning towards grabbing a VT Bass pedal as well.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The VT Deluxe is awesome. I do want one... but the basic model is great for what I generally use it for (as either a preamp or "grit" pedal.)

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pete, what did you grab? I'm leaning towards grabbing a VT Bass pedal as well.
I got the basic bass driver model.
This one:
TECH 21 - SansAmp Bass Driver DI

GC didn't have the VT model and I was feeling a little impatient so I went with this one instead. I thought about getting the programmable version but for just recording purposes this one will suit me fine. I sort of just want to set it and forget it and have a decent bass tone dialed in when I need it.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
BTW Pete, if you find it really mid-scooped, turn down the treble and bass knobs to around 9 o'clock and compensate for the volume drop with gain/volume. That will give you a mid boost (which is typically tough to dial in since there's no Mid knob and the gain knob scoops mids quite heavily too.)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts