Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
McKilzilla
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a .080" bass string to replace the .060" that came with the set i just bought. i just replaced my stock one-off ibanez tremelo with a floyd rose. the string doesn't quite fit all the way down in my nut or on the tremelo, but it is held in place somewhat. between 1/3 and 1/2 of the string fits in it, the rest is unexposed. Will it work? I guess the locking nut may hold it, but im unsure enough to join a forum. please help me if you can, i dont wanna hurt myself or my precious X series (which is from '85)

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
What are you tuning to?

I've used all the way up to a .072 for a low B on my guitars. The biggest I've used on a floyded guitar was a .065 bass string, and it worked fine. It sounds different since it's double-wrapped, rather than like a guitar string with a single wind, but other than that, it should work fine, assuming you're not putting some ludicrous tension on the guitar.

Its also worth noting on some exceptionally large strings you may have to either unwind the string to get it to fit through the tuner, or bore out the tuning peg with a drill. I prefer to unwind the string, since you dont have to make any mods. you might have to have the nut filed to accommodate the larger string as well.

·
McKilzilla
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats abit reassuring. im gonna shoot for for A if i can! (fingers crossed) not really holding my breath. ill settle for nothing above c flat. i planned on altering the string, havent started cause its a $9 commitment! i wasthinking of putting the tapered end of the string in the floyd so itll lay at the right angle properly and stripping the balled end. yay? ne?

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
It might work, but the taper might taper up to where you pick, due to the fact it was designed for a bass scale. I think if you're tuning to A, you could go down to a 70 for size. just my :2c:

·
McKilzilla
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fair enough. ill go exchange it later today. besides my frets are flat enough! not lookin forward to re-fretting it. thanks for the help man, i appreciate it more than ull ever know

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I had a 1984 DT-350 (as well as a 250), nice guitars. Going for the left hand path sound? :metal:

That was a 350 (with largish strings I presume) with an 81 in the bridge into some manner of peavey 112.

·
McKilzilla
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
man, i fuckin love mine. my first guitar and its been stolen and parted out and its being born again as we speak. excellently low string profile and durability. Id take any dt-350 or 500 over any gibson u can find

·
Registered
617 Posts
I've used strings that big before on a guitar but it wasn't on a floyd, I put a .90 onto a Les Paul a few years ago. It's easy to unwind the outer core to get the string into the tuner and possibly at the bridge if it won't fit. Going down to A though you shouldn't need a string that thick at all.

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
I've used strings that big before on a guitar but it wasn't on a floyd, I put a .90 onto a Les Paul a few years ago. It's easy to unwind the outer core to get the string into the tuner and possibly at the bridge if it won't fit. Going down to A though you shouldn't need a string that thick at all.
How on earth did you manage to intonate that? :lol:

·
Registered
617 Posts
How on earth did you manage to intonate that? :lol:
It was actually fairly well intonated, but the string was so thick it felt a bit weird. I had the guitar tuned in fifths to FCGDAE but I went a bit overboard on picking the gauge for that low string, I could easily have used something lighter. I only really used the guitar to mess around on and I've since changed it back to standard tuning.

·
McKilzilla
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i made that .080 string fit in my floyd rose. probably no notable advantage over .072ish except it feels real nice

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Jazz guys use a .080 for A a lot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts