Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm trying to get back in playing guitar and actually enjoying it. I decided to use some of the gear I have laying around to build a low-volume rig for the apartment that I could have a lot of fun playing with.

I ended up with this:

ADA MP-1
TC Electronic G Sharp
BBE Sonic Maximizer (I just threw this into the rack, I think it will be useful to compromise for the low volume)
QSC GX3 Power Amp
Marshall 1960A

AmbroNate has my AxeFx, since it's more useful to him, and he's giving me the G Sharp as a trade towards it. (I think i traded the G Sharp to him for something lol)

The cab is at my moms house, so I still need to retrieve that.

I'll get a pic up tomorrow afternoon if anybody cares to see it.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I still think the BBE is a sonic band-aid for bad gear. Considering you're getting a MP-1, you don't need it. The Mp1 was great when i had it. The only thing i wished was it had more modern gain on tap. Other than that, it was awesome, and versatile. That and a G-sharp and a decent poweramp sounds like a fucking solid setup.

Best of luck getting back into guitar. Sometimes taking a break works wonders for your perspective on the whole thing.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
^ :agreed:

I have yet to hear a BBE add anything but fizz. It just doesn't sound natural any more.

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
I think BBE's can be useful for lower volume/individual settings, personally. And there's no harm in having one - you could look at it almost as another effect.

Heh. A fucking 4x12 as a "low volume" rig, though? What's the power amp?

·
Thread Killer
6,491 Posts
So, I'm trying to get back in playing guitar and actually enjoying it. I decided to use some of the gear I have laying around to build a low-volume rig for the apartment that I could have a lot of fun playing with.

I ended up with this:

ADA MP-1
TC Electronic G Sharp
BBE Sonic Maximizer (I just threw this into the rack, I think it will be useful to compromise for the low volume)
QSC Power Amp
Marshall 1960A

AmbroNate has my AxeFx, since it's more useful to him, and he's giving me the G Sharp as a trade towards it. (I think i traded the G Sharp to him for something lol)

The cab is at my moms house, so I still need to retrieve that.

I'll get a pic up tomorrow afternoon if anybody cares to see it.
Solid state

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I still think the BBE is a sonic band-aid for bad gear. Considering you're getting a MP-1, you don't need it. The Mp1 was great when i had it. The only thing i wished was it had more modern gain on tap. Other than that, it was awesome, and versatile. That and a G-sharp and a decent poweramp sounds like a fucking solid setup.

Best of luck getting back into guitar. Sometimes taking a break works wonders for your perspective on the whole thing.
I already own all of this gear :lol: I'm very familiar with all of it. :agreed:
^ :agreed:

I have yet to hear a BBE add anything but fizz. It just doesn't sound natural any more.
:agreed: on the anti BBE sentiments. I haven't used this thing in ages, but because I'll be playing at such low volumes I won't have speaker or power amp saturation. It's just another effect :shrug: If you keep the process knob low the tone suck is minimal.

I think BBE's can be useful for lower volume/individual settings, personally. And there's no harm in having one - you could look at it almost as another effect.

I'm using the 4x12 because I already have it, and it's my favorite cab. The power amp is a QSC GX3 350 watts max. I tested it out, and the thing can go from whisper quiet to pretty fucking loud, and maintain the same sound quality. Solid state has its advantages...

I know a 4x12 is over kill :lol: I'd like to have a 2x12 loaded with GT75s, but that costs money.

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
Sounds like you got it all figured out, my brother. ;)

Me, I always play through headphones at home. Sony MDRs. My last pair took a shit on me a few weeks ago, and man, I was LOST. Best HPs ever. But, I got some new ones, and all is well.

I don't even like playing through amps unless I'm playing with my band (there I love it, admittedly, but it's cranked as fuck). I get the same tone wherever though, since all my presets are based off the same a) hardware (Digitech GNX shit) and b) software (my personal amp model hybrids, kinda like a Rectifier/Engl hybrid). But with my headphones, I can play along with Guitar Pro, mp3s, videos, whatever. Plus it's super easy to record - just arm a track and hit 'record.' :lol: Then again, I'm a fan of modeling, and all the convenience it affords. So that personally works for me. :yesway:

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One of the cool things about the MP-1 is that it has a headphone out :agreed:

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I use a 4x12 at bedroom volumes and it sounds pretty good, obviously not as much as once you get some air moving, but I'm still very satisfied with it, and I'm using one side of a 2/90/2.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The 1936 was my favorite "rock" 2x12 out of all of the ones I tried. It definitely sounds like a slightly middier 1960.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I use a 4x12 at bedroom volumes and it sounds pretty good, obviously not as much as once you get some air moving, but I'm still very satisfied with it, and I'm using one side of a 2/90/2.
:eek:rly:

I have a 2/90/2....hmm....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts