Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
APOD: 2011 May 5 - 50 Years Ago: Freedom 7 Flies

Explanation: Fifty years ago, near the dawn of the space age, NASA controllers "lit the candle" and sent Mercury astronaut Alan Shepard arcing into space atop a Redstone rocket. His cramped space capsule was dubbed Freedom 7. Broadcast live to a global television audience, the historic Mercury-Redstone 3 (MR-3) spacecraft was launched from Cape Canaveral Florida at 9:34 a.m. Eastern Time on May 5, 1961. The flight of Freedom 7 - the first space flight by an American - followed less than a month after the first human venture into space by Soviet Cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin. The 15 minute sub-orbital flight achieved an altitude of 116 miles and a maximum speed of 5,134 miles per hour. As Shepard looked back toward planet Earth near the peak of Freedom 7's trajectory, he could see the outlines of the west coast of Florida, Lake Okeechobe in central Florida, the Gulf of Mexico, and the Bahamas.

NASA to Alan: "Hey Alan. You know rockets, right? Those things we usually shoot at our enemies to blow them to fuckall? Well, we've got a plan to strap you to the tip of one, and shoot it straight up in the air. You game?
Alan to NASA: "Yeah, OK."

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Those early astronauts and cosmonauts were insanely brave. :yesway:

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
:agreed: x 1,000

Alan Shepard's Prayer: "Dear Lord, please don't let me fuck up." :lol:

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
And I would say especially for the cosmonauts. If anything ever went wrong, which I’m sure it did often early on for the Soviets, the accident would be swept under the carpet and their names would be erased from history.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I would give anything to switch places with them, too. I can't imagine the feeling of looking out the window and seeing the curvature of the earth.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would give anything to switch places with them, too. I can't imagine the feeling of looking out the window and seeing the curvature of the earth.
Not to mention the ride to get there :metal:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts