Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else watching? Looking forward to meeting my new iPhone. :D

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Anyone else watching? Looking forward to meeting my new iPhone. :D
There will never be another phone like it. There never has been, and there never will be. This will be the best iPhone yet. It will revolutionize the way you text.

It will also revolutionize the disposable economy, by developing the yearly cycle of throwing away perfectly good shit to get brand new shit. The best shit ever.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
What happened to the mockup that leaked out with the huge display, no bezels, and no home button? This phone just looks like a 7... I've been hanging on to my 6s+, waiting for the 8, but I think I'm just going to hang onto it a bit longer.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
What happened to the mockup that leaked out with the huge display, no bezels, and no home button? This phone just looks like a 7... I've been hanging on to my 6s+, waiting for the 8, but I think I'm just going to hang onto it a bit longer.
That would be the Iphone X. Not presented yet.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
I think I'm just going to wait. Sounds like they really did get rid of Touch ID. I'd rather have that than Face ID, and don't want to spend $999 on a phone.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
^

FWIW : "Breach" ratio.

Touch ID : 1 in 50 000
Face ID : 1 in 1 000 000
Do we have methodology on that? I mean, besides the fact that having the phone camera always recording probably isn't great for privacy or battery . . .

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Do we have methodology on that? I mean, besides the fact that having the phone camera always recording probably isn't great for privacy or battery . . .
There's also the fact that the iPhone only gives you 5 tries before it requires you to enter your passcode instead of Touch ID, means it's virtually impossible to have a breach.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Apple's word, which on one thing this is technically a marketing event so just making shit up would invite a lawsuit, but they didn't get into methodology.

I assume the camera remains off until the phone "wakes up" as you either pick it up or tap the screen, and then is only on when you're unlocking it or using it for an app. To be honest, the "tap screen to wake up" feature is actually not something I really love, unless there's some way for the phone to determine what's an intentional tap with your finger vs an accidental pocket-tap. I'd think you'd pretty much HAVE to run a password on this just to ensure you dind't pocket dial people, otherwise.

I'm not sure which way I'm going to go yet. I have a 2+ year old 6S with a single hairline crack across the top third of the screen, so I've been holding off for the new one before upgrading, anyway. On one hand, the X looks pretty slick, and an extra $300 across the 18- or 24-month lease period is $12-16 a month, which is fairly negligible. On the other, while the body is only a hair bigger than my 6S, the screen is quite a bit bigger, which is a perk in some ways, but as it is reaching the top left corner with my thumb while operating the phone with one hand is already a stretch, and adding another inch to that reach is going to be a problem. Who knows - maybe it'll be big enough that I'll have a phone no bigger in my pocket than the current one, but that I'll just not even be tempted to try to do anything one-handed on.

If they don't ship before November, I've got some time to make my mind up, I guess.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
You know what would have been a sweet feature on the iPhone 8 or X?

EDIT

Also, how much do you want to bet this is the beginning of the end for Lightning cables, or cables at all? Apple hates ports, and I'm guessing in a couple generations it'll be all wireless charging.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts