Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Rule #2: Double Tap
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the looks of the thing, but what does it do? Is it something like a mini netbook?
Nobody really knows, it's still rumor and speculation. Could be a mini notebook touchscreen, could be an e-reader, could be just an itouch with a camera.......

Whatever it is....Steve Jobs will sell the fuck out of it.

btw...I think the picture is a mockup of the rumors - not an apple product pic.

·
Oxygen to CO2 converter
1,957 Posts
No official pics have been released. Apple has a event scheduled for the 24th I believe. They are rumored to announce the new product there. Im probably in for one as well, depends on the price.

Its supposed to be a large iPhone for the most part. According to a few stories I read, that was Steve Jobs original idea for the iPod Touch, but they couldnt source the larger parts reliably so they went with the iPod Touch/iPhone instead. Of course thats jsut a rumor as well.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
That thing with an Airport/Wireless-N network = the ultimate media tool to hang on your wall and stream your music/movie collection multi-room.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
macbook air :lol:

The pundits claim this thing will come in around 1000 bucks which is going to make it a niche product. If it only runs iphone apps I dont really see the benefit of it. Now if it could run adobe suite and had a wacom style stylus I would find a use for it.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts

This is the tablet I'm looking forward to. Apple has some pretty stiff competition if they decide to get into the tablet business.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
A tablet is going to have to have one hell of a compelling "killer app" for me to even consider one. I already have a laptop and an iPod Touch, and don't really see much need for something in between, except for maybe a netbook.

If it's going to be too big to fit in my pocket, i'm probably going to want to touch-type on it, and i can't see that being a really good experience on a touch screen.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I'm sure Apple will have a target market for this product just like the Air - will it be for everyone probably not.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
I'm sure Apple will have a target market for this product just like the Air - will it be for everyone probably not.
IMO, they waited too long, they should have offered the first tablet, not waited until everyone already announced their tablet. I'm still doubtful they're introducing a tablet. I've heard more credible talk of the 4G iPhone that will go to Verizon.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
(BTW: Apple (under a secret holding company owns the domain islate.com, as well as, a few other similar dn's)]
The only thing I'd caution on here is they hold copyright and domain names for a LOT of things, very few of which get used. A lot of it is just to prevent grey are copyright issues - even if they have no plans of releasing a product under this name, you probably don't want, say, the Drew Peterson iRadio on the market competing with the iPod because the name makes it sound an awful lot like an apple product. Buying and copywriting iTablet and itablet.com is a fairly prudent way of making sure no one else can release a product bearing that name.

·
Party Röcker
1,372 Posts
Since 'slate' usually refers to tablets that aren't the swively convertible type, hopefully this will have some decent use as a tablet. However, I have to be skeptical for a few reasons...

Tablets have been around for almost a decade, and...

(1) There are still very few people who are using them in a way that makes any sense at all - for example, if you're hoping to save time by using text recognition instead of a keyboard, you'll be sorely disappointed. They're incredibly handy in education and science, but if you're going to be entering nothing but text a keyboard will be far faster - in math and the sciences it gets much easier to draw diagrams (even the fastest diagram utilities in LaTeX will take several lines and a couple hundred characters to produce four lines and a few letters) and scribble quick notes and estimates, but outside of that and art I haven't seen anyone using the things effectively. They've gotten a reputation as an executive toy or a nerd curiosity and their usefulness in areas that can use them is largely ignored.

(2) The software for other platforms simply sucks unless you have specific needs. If you're drawing... Apple has played well with external Wacom tablets for quite some time, and getting a high-quality digitizer on a high-resolution screen is expensive as hell, so this isn't the most efficient way to solve a problem that doesn't really exist. If you're hoping for a journal-type program, good luck - nobody has made one of those that comes close to working well with what the tablet could do, and since there have already been third-party-modified Macbook tablets for years now (which didn't work so well, as I'll explain below) it looks like nothing short of a miracle from Apple themselves will really help. As it stands, a tablet winds up being a mediocre keyboard substitute and a decent mouse substitute far too often.

(3) There was a bit of a flopped attempt at an Apple tablet already - Axiotron started modifying Macbooks (in 2007!) by throwing in a digitizer. A lot of other compromises had to be made, the tablet functionality didn't work well, there were few decent uses, the tablet functionality *really* didn't work well, the tech support was dodgy - the one guy I know who had the patience to deal with them had ordered his very early in the game and wound up having only a couple of months with the thing out of the *two years* he owned it (it kept getting sent back and forth because it never worked, so he'd go months without seeing it and open it up one day to find that it *still didn't work*) - and... holy hell, the tablet functionality was awful. Using the thing as a journal is practically out of the question... unless you've always dreamed of storing a few lines of scribble as a large .psd file and just couldn't make it inconvenient enough because your pointing device worked too fucking often, your only option is to hope to hell that Apple is getting their own journal program together and that it'll suck far less than the Windows monstrosity. This company's mess has, no doubt, scared away many of the early adopters, and because they're already lost it seems likely that this will be some weird mix of at least three of my nightmares and last decade's technology.

(4) Nobody knows what the fuck they want a computer to be anymore. We have 12-inch 'netbooks' (read: you're paying more for a wimpier computer with a trendy name), phones that are really computers, pagers that summon lesser demons when their batteries are low... this could be a slightly bigger iPhone, and while that would please the customer base that wants to justify cargo pants for the first time in decades it's just scary for people who want to see tablets take off. Even if they put out a full-sized tablet, Apple is late to the game and they'll have a lot to live up to, because even poor tablets from the last few years showed great potential and could be put to good use in the right hands. (Granted, this is the same company that made a big splash with the iPod after better technology had been around for years, so that may not have much impact on how this thing is seen at launch.)

I really hope that this takes off and helps tablet development - the hardware is fine, and it has been fine for years, and it will continue to be fine for the foreseeable future. What's really needed is decent software and more users who aren't clueless about what tablets can do, and I'm hoping that we'll soon see that - I'm fine with anything that gives me a better chance of seeing a mainstream journal program that doesn't suck.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
The rumours I've read about this suggest that this is a real product and will be announced at the apple event as well as iphone 4.0 OS. The credible rumours are that it will be a large iphone on steroids, had 3G built in, will not have a camera and the iphone 4.0 OS will now allow multitasking. Apple asked developer to present higher resolution iphone apps to them for analysis and I suspect that was part of the development process for the tablet.

This will be great if it is dual band 3G not the crap in the iphone that stops me from being able to afford it.

I like the ipod touch but without a 3G net connection it is very limited. IMO it is too big for a portable music player and too small for a portable computer. The ipod touch does almost everything I want in a portable computer but it's limitations are limitations set by Apple, if they do not impose the same limitations on the tablet I can see how developers would make the apps that would make it the perfect portable computer for my needs and the size is about perfect (could probably be a bit smaller, the rumour is 10"). I'm looking forward to it, I don't need or want a laptop as my portable computer, I have specific limited needs and a well designed tablet from Apple could meet them and would be more convenient for me.

·
Oxygen to CO2 converter
1,957 Posts
1 word....

Kindle.

Apple wants a piece of the Kindle pie. Thats the main reason I want the iSlate. I want a color ebook reader that doubles as a computer with Wifi and 3G. Amazon sold container loads of Kindles the last couple years, add to that the piece of ebook pie Apple will get from iTunes.

Its a no brainer for Apple. If its the iPhone OS, there is already a Kindle reader which gets the Kindle people on board. So that opens up Kindle books and then iTunes sells books, plus you can load any other ebooks on it.

Jobs is no dummy, my impression is that he (ie Mac Developers actually) love coming up with trendy devices lately that in turn pump money into the Apple money caves via iTunes. Traditional Apple has been a company that has targeted a couple groups:

1) Trendies. People that want the latest geeky stuff.
2) Recording and production people
3) Graphic design

The miracle worker for getting Apple mainstream is iTunes. That opens up the wallet of almost everyone that doesnt live in the 3rd world.

They never leave their core group of trendies and production people by still coming up with hardware and software they need to do their jobs, but they add the bottomless money pit of $0.99 downloads through iTunes. G.E.N.I.U.S.

Now they are coming up with another device to catch the eye of the trendies, plus tap into that Kindle market that Amazon blew the doors open on. Amazon is printing their own money with the Kindle. Its the iTunes for Amazon.

A couple comments on Jeffs post:

#3 point is meaningless. It was a piece of shit 3rd party mod that never actually worked right so to use that as an argument is like saying Windows sucks because you cant get it to work on a PowerMac.

#4 I actually think people do, but the developers and companies are having a hard time figuring out the physical limitations. People love their "smart" phones, but the size is the limitation for some of the things they want it to do. A 10" iPhone would kick major ass as a every day device, except for a pocket music player. At that point it loses it luster because its so huge. Something I have been kicking around in my head the last year or so is I would love to see a device like the iSlate but you can detach a iPod touch/nano device off it for your music. Haul your iSlate around, when you want to go running, pop out the player, do your deal, plug it back in and you are good to go.

You obviously could have two separate devices, but you need to manage two music folders, etc. Having it attach to the iSlate, you would have one central management spot for the music portion of your computing device plus you wouldnt have to figure out how to strap a 10" tablet to your arm when you wanted to go running.

I could also use it for scoring music like I would with a piece of paper and pen, save that in Guitar-Pro or as PDF for later use. A mouse pointer and Guitar-Pro is a PITA for scoring music. I prefer to have the paper and scribble notes as I am playing.

I almost bought a Kindle over Christmas, but once I heard rumors of the tablet I held off. The price range of the Kindle was more than I wanted to spend considering I would get so much more for a couple hundred bucks more when the iSlate comes out. We'll see what happens when its announced, they may price me out, but if it comes in at a decent price I will be all over it.

I just want to find a single device for my "non computer" needs that's easy to haul around and use. I dont want a kindle, a phone, a laptop, an iPod, etc.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts