Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had one of these that came with my iMac, and I didn't like it at all so I tossed it in with my Mini as an incentive. Today, however, in my quest to make the single lightest work travel bag in the universe (outside of, um, people who don't travel with a laptop), I picked up another one to replace the MX Revolution that I usually bring.

No dongle/pure bluetooth is a huge plus. The new Logitech dongles (like the ones that come on the PMX) are tiny and much better than the old ones, but since the 13" MBP only has two USB ports, I didn't want to give one up to use for the mouse.

So far it still feels too thin, but after an hour or so with it I'm really getting the hang of the iPhone/Touch-like finger controls. Having pinch/pull and all sorts of scrolling and gesture options right on top of it is pretty awesome, and I think if I can get my hands used to the size w/o giving myself carpal tunnel, I may end up picking one up for my iMac as well.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
You think it might be good enough to replace the almighty MX Revolution??? :eek:

I messed with the magic mouse in Best Buy for a bit, and I found it entirely too thin.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
The Magic Mouse is one of the many things on my "Yes please" list. Something about numerous gunked up scroll wheels compared to multitouch scrolling probably does it for me...

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You think it might be good enough to replace the almighty MX Revolution??? :eek:

I messed with the magic mouse in Best Buy for a bit, and I found it entirely too thin.
It's definitely too thin for home use. I actually use a PMX instead of a Rev on the iMac. For some reason, the old style dongle sucks ass with the Mac bluetooth - every time Time Machine would start a backup, my mouse would lag like a motherfucker. I switched to the PMX that I had as a spare (which has the new style dongle) and haven't had a problem since.

I don't game on the PC/Mac anymore, so I'm not really missing the side scroll wheel.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
:noway:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I had one of these that came with my iMac, and I didn't like it at all so I tossed it in with my Mini as an incentive. Today, however, in my quest to make the single lightest work travel bag in the universe (outside of, um, people who don't travel with a laptop), I picked up another one to replace the MX Revolution that I usually bring.

No dongle/pure bluetooth is a huge plus. The new Logitech dongles (like the ones that come on the PMX) are tiny and much better than the old ones, but since the 13" MBP only has two USB ports, I didn't want to give one up to use for the mouse.

So far it still feels too thin, but after an hour or so with it I'm really getting the hang of the iPhone/Touch-like finger controls. Having pinch/pull and all sorts of scrolling and gesture options right on top of it is pretty awesome, and I think if I can get my hands used to the size w/o giving myself carpal tunnel, I may end up picking one up for my iMac as well.
Is this the Magic or Mighty? The Mighty blows goats, but the Magic's kinda nice. Still can't give up my Logitech Trackman for home, but for travel I wouldn't mind a better BT mouse than the Logitech I currently have.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I was going to swap mine out for my old Logitech, but I started to dig it, and have kept it.

·
Oxygen to CO2 converter
1,957 Posts
I dig mine. I've had mine since the day they came out. No where near the 4 months of battery life they claim. I also noticed that as the top of it starts to get dirty it acts sort of weird. Its not visibly dirty, but I am sure it has some body oil or whatever on it. If I clean it off it works fine. Other than that much better than most BT mice I have used.

I dont mind the slim profile any more especially when doing gestures on it.

·
18,790 Posts
I pulled mine out of the box for a few minutes when I first got my iMac, but couldn't get used to the size, either. I went back to my cheap, corded Logitech Optical Mouse and haven't had a single problem :lol: I also got the full-sized wired keyboard :lol: But I have a wireless mouse and keyboard, should I feel the need to use them (probably will for watching movies/TV shows while browsing from my bed/couch after I move :lol:)

·
18,790 Posts
Just gave it an actual try. Ignoring the fact that I needed to have my wired mouse connected in order to get the wireless mouse configured/connected, it just feels wrong, and I found the extra swipes, etc. it has available were useless and annoying for me :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm actually getting used to them, though at first (and for like, the first 3 days I had my Mini) I agreed with you.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
I love mine, and I hate using other peoples' computers (or even my old mouse) because the mouse feels so huge and I can't do the 2-finger swipe thing to go back a page in the browser.

BTW, check out the program BetterTouchTool for some increased functionality and customization :yesway:

·
Oxygen to CO2 converter
1,957 Posts
Just gave it an actual try. Ignoring the fact that I needed to have my wired mouse connected in order to get the wireless mouse configured/connected, it just feels wrong, and I found the extra swipes, etc. it has available were useless and annoying for me :lol:
The gestures are sort of weird to get used to, but over time I have no problem with it. I use a laptop a lot so having the same gestures on both a physical mouse and a track pad is great. I find myself trying gestures on a windows laptop and wondering why they wont work.

:rofl:

I do prefer the back button click of most modern mice though. Other than that I like the Magic mouse.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts