Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GC Offers "Total Recording Package"...

I have a buddy who I'm trying to start jamming/recording with but he doesn't have any DAW/Recording equipment. He found this and told me he's seriously considering it. Seems to me his money would be better spent getting a MacBook and then adding on a 2i2, SM57 and some Yamaha MT5s, but I might be wrong.

What do you think of this set up?

·
Read Only
1,264 Posts
GC Offers "Total Recording Package"...

I have a buddy who I'm trying to start jamming/recording with but he doesn't have any DAW/Recording equipment. He found this and told me he's seriously considering it. Seems to me his money would be better spent getting a MacBook and then adding on a 2i2, SM57 and some Yamaha MT5s, but I might be wrong.

What do you think of this set up?
Sadly those of us in Europe (or wishing they still would be after next year) can't see the details of GC pages as they decided blocking us was less work than updating their webpages in light of GDPR laws.

Happy to give some thoughts if you list what's in the package!

·
This space for rent
1,482 Posts
The Complete Recording Studio with Mac mini v7 (MGEM2LL/A) provides all the hardware and software you need to write, compose and record your music from start to finish. With the power of Pro Tools First, Ableton Live Lite, GarageBand, and a collection of top-brand plug-ins from Focusrite, Softube and Avid; including compressors, equalizers, effects, guitar effects, instruments, modeling software, vocal processing and synths, you have the all the creative control you need to sculpt your music without limits. Bundle includes Apple Mac mini, 21.5" monitor, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, AKG P120 studio microphone, AKG K52 headphones and more. So check out the Complete Desktop Recording Studio and free your musical imagination today.

Specifications

Included Hardware:
Apple Mac mini Computer
21.5" Widescreen LED Display
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface
AKG P120 Studio Condenser Microphone
AKG K52 Studio Headphones
Mac-compatible keyboard & mouse
All the cables to hook everything up! (mic, HDMI, power and USB cables)

Included Software:
Apple GarageBand Software
ProTools First and First Focusrite Creative Pack
Ableton Live Lite
Focusrite Red 2 and Red 3 Plug-in Suite
Softube Time and Tone Pack
Loopmasters Samples and Loops (2GB)
Novation Bass Station Plug-in
showing at 1400$ CAD

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sadly those of us in Europe (or wishing they still would be after next year) can't see the details of GC pages as they decided blocking us was less work than updating their webpages in light of GDPR laws.

Happy to give some thoughts if you list what's in the package!
Well, that sucks. GC for the fail once again...

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
showing at 1400$ CAD
It shows as $1,000 in USD. I'm assuming the Mac is the basic version, and you can get one of those for $800 USD. The rest of that is base-level stuff, especially the software.

Iron1, if your friend already has a reasonably recent computer, then your advice is good. You've got the basics nailed down. If his computer is too old/slow, then he might be better off starting from scratch with this.

The problems are that the included mic wouldn't be well-suited for recording guitar amps, Garage Band is very basic stuff, and the Mac mini won't grow along with his skills/interest. The package looks aimed more at someone who wants to record EDM or hip-hop, where the only "recording" involved would be vocals and the rest would be produced in the box.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
What Jacksonplayer said. The computer itself is probably fine, but the rest of this is definitely more geared to a rapper wanting to make "beats" in his bedroom.

If your buddy has a decent computer, I'd say grab a copy of Reaper, EzDrummer, a Scarlett 2i4 interface, a SM57, and a good pair of headphones (I like beyerdynamic dt770s) and then build on that over time. You could probably do that for $5-600 or so.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not even sure the computer is worth it. And, yeah, in all my years of recording my own stuff, never once used a condenser mic. Hopefully, he'll follow my advice and get a MacBook, SM57 and some headphones instead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts