Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apple to hold iPhone 4 press conference this Friday -- Engadget

This should be interesting.

Jobs: "Thank you all for coming. As you are all aware, Apple has recently come under fire over the controversy surrounding the iPhone 4 and its reported signal issues. Consumer Reports has also stated that they can not recommend the iPhone 4 due to the same reception issues that they ran into during their testing. We are here today to address this issue.

You're all holding your phones wrong. Seriously...just slide your hand up a little and you're good.

Thanks for coming.

:hsquid:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
It'd be a shame if they can't/won't get this sorted, because it really is a damn neat phone. My sister has one, and I much prefer it to any Android phone I've checked out. If it were available on Verizon or T-Mobile, I'd buy one.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Apple to hold iPhone 4 press conference this Friday -- Engadget

This should be interesting.

Jobs: "Thank you all for coming. As you are all aware, Apple has recently come under fire over the controversy surrounding the iPhone 4 and its reported signal issues. Consumer Reports has also stated that they can not recommend the iPhone 4 due to the same reception issues that they ran into during their testing. We are here today to address this issue.

You're all holding your phones wrong. Seriously...just slide your hand up a little and you're good.

Thanks for coming.

:hsquid:
You forgot to mention how it's sold 2 million phones and it's the best phone in the galaxy. Well, Steve forgot to mention it.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
The "other" (Non-4) iPhones are fucking awesome. They'll fix this, and nobody will give a shit.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Supposedly some returned phones have gone back out to customers NOT exhibiting this antenna behaviour. My guess is that it was a bad batch in the first run, the problem is now fixed, and any phones within a certain range of serial numbers can be exchanged for free.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Supposedly some returned phones have gone back out to customers NOT exhibiting this antenna behaviour. My guess is that it was a bad batch in the first run, the problem is now fixed, and any phones within a certain range of serial numbers can be exchanged for free.
If that's the case, then I'm guessing Canadians everywhere will be thankful for not being part of the first run.

But also pissed off if any type of exchange delays our launch.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Our launch has already been delayed, and none of the carriers have announced launch dates, so i'm sure it makes little or no difference. Or do you know something the rest of us don't? ;)

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know the timeline that the iphone is sppose to launch in Canada, but the Apple/Canada relationship is very one way. Jobs could say they're waiting until October, and the Canadian carriers will politely accept.

It'll be launching in Canada on 4-5 carriers at the same time (The exception being virgin may wait a couple of weeks so that Bell can stock up) which means Apple will need to have ample stock to cover everyone, so any type of mass recall or exchange program could hinder the Canuck launch.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
I'm surprised people are as shocked as they are about this. Granted it is a huge issue, but it's the first version of a new product. It's bound to have bugs. It's just unfortunate that it turned out to be this huge of one. It could happen to any company.

A good tip is to at least wait for the first revision regardless if it's hardware or software.

If you run a small business and your one single server is your backbone, you install something new on it without giving a test environment, and it causes you to lose a lot of money because you're recovering for a few days to a couple weeks, who's fault is it? Both yours and whoever manufactured the software. It really sucks because you're the one that suffers and you end up hating the company that gave you this experience...

I wonder if the returned phones darren mentioned about have a firmware update or if something hardware-wise was changed that fixes this. I remember reading that they're supposed to release software to fix.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Fuck the Yankees. :yesway:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I'm surprised people are as shocked as they are about this. Granted it is a huge issue, but it's the first version of a new product. It's bound to have bugs. It's just unfortunate that it turned out to be this huge of one. It could happen to any company.
Yup. :yesway:

Granted this is something that absolutely should not have slipped through the QA process at a company the size of Apple, but shit does happen. Hell, look at every single version of windows! :lol:

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Granted this is something that absolutely should not have slipped through the QA process at a company the size of Apple
Apparently, it didn't. :lol:

Last year, Ruben Caballero, a senior engineer and antenna expert, informed Apple's management the device's design may cause reception problems, said the person, who is not authorized to speak on Apple's behalf and asked not to be identified. A carrier partner also raised concerns about the antenna before the device's June 24 release, according to another person familiar with the situation.
http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...said-to-tell-jobs-iphone-might-cut-calls.html

Hell, look at every single version of windows! :lol:
"It looks like the iPhone 4 might be their Vista, and I'm okay with that,"
Microsoft exec mocks iPhone 4, dubs it Apple's Vista - Computerworld

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
And that's why you never buy a new electronics device (even Apple) before the 6-month mark.

Seeing as how you can either A. exchange the iPhone 4 for one that doesn't have the flaw, or B. put a case on it and fix the reception issue, and then it becomes one of the best smartphones of the year, I'd say it's not very comparable to one of the worst OSes ever released by any company.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Microsoft exec mocks iPhone 4, dubs it Apple's Vista
Admittedly I'm a bit of an Apple Fanboi - and will probably own a 4.0 once they get the problems sorted out.

Mr. Turner of Microsoft should look a little further back in Mircrosoft's history and re-call a few more of the crap products his company has put out. Besides Vista it's hard to forget "ME" although I'm sure they would like to. How long was that hunk of shit out before being replaced - 3 weeks? Oh and how can we forget Windows 98 and it's ever present blue screen of death. Microsoft should start actually building hardware on the level that Apple does and see what sort of gems they would produce - oh no never mind they really shouldn't.

My guess is Apple will do something that overall satisfies it's customers and continue to kick everybody else's ass with this phone.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Since we're coming up on the Press Conference, i'm gonna make my guess as to what will be said.

"iPhone 4 has been hugely successful. The most successful iPhone to date."

"Reception issue affects small batch of early devices (May throw in a 'less than 1%' stat)"

"You can exchange your affected iPhone for a new one that does not have this issue" (So no free cases or bumpers)

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
Since we're coming up on the Press Conference, i'm gonna make my guess as to what will be said.

"The revolutionary iPhone 4 has been hugely successful. The most magical iPhone to date."

"Magical reception issue affects small batch of early revolutionary devices (May throw in a 'less than 1%' stat)"

"You can exchange your revolutionary iPhone for a magical one that does not have this issue" (So no free cases or bumpers)
Fixed :wavey:

You're probably spot-on. I don't think he'll use the word 'recall', rather, exchange as you suggested. Which is good on them.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts

"iPhone 4 has been hugely successful. The most successful iPhone to date."

"Reception issue affects small batch of early devices (May throw in a 'less than 1%' stat)"

"You can exchange your affected iPhone for a new one that does not have this issue" (So no free cases or bumpers)
I think you're probably bang-on with all three. I'm sure they'll also say, "It's not a recall" at least half a dozen times.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
The good news is that the refurb i4 market is going to explode, since they'll fix them all and resell them as refurbished.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
I wouldnt bet on that Chris

looks like the fix they are goign for are free cases for everyone that bought a phone

the case keeps your hand off of the bad spot - they are going to look at the problem again in sept....

not really a fix....

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Apple's data is somewhat faulty, as they're not taking into account the likely thousands of iPhone 4 users who likely haven't called AppleCare or returned their phones because they're patiently waiting for a fix.

So they haven't really admitted that there's an issue, but have said that anyone who has an issue can apply for a free case. :scratch:

In other news: July 30 release for Canada!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts