1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Not displaying the proper service bars doesn't explain the youtube video of the speed test not running until the iphone was no longer held in the death grip.....of death.

Unless data doesn't even try to transmit at all if the signal bars show zero. But that would be pretty fucking stupid.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
my guess would be that, if calculating how many bars is complicated enough to potentially go wrong, its not like a bar for each 20% segment etc, but its actually the calculation of signal strength, which, if that gets calculated wrong (ie 0), it WOULD shut down, even though there would actually be signal available

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Shadow: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; Droid Build/ESE81) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

The sad thing is we (ATT reps) cannot say ANYTHING about it! We basically have to play stupid and follow normal troubleshooting procedures and then direct them to Apple. :noway:

·
badman
378 Posts
I agree with what has been said above, how will changing the way the signal bars are displayed change the outcome of this (taken on the day I got my phone):

I use a case so it's not affecting me in general use, but it seems like Apple are barking up the wrong tree with this update :confused: the speed test does not lie.

I'll say though, apart from that issue (now that Apple have actually admitted that it is one) the iPhone 4 absolutely slays anything else on the market in terms of what I want from a mobile device. The retina display is incredible - color saturation, contrast and sharpness are all right there. The rear camera quality for both still shots and 720p HD video is fantastic, finally a company that doesn't buy into the 'more megapixels = better images' bullshit. The speed improvements mean that iOS4 runs amazingly smoothly, even with 10 or more applications open, and the new Gyroscope looks like it'll bring a lot of seriously cool games/applications to the phone (as shown below with Eliminate: Gun Range):

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
I agree with what has been said above, how will changing the way the signal bars are displayed change the outcome of this (taken on the day I got my phone):

I use a case so it's not affecting me in general use, but it seems like Apple are barking up the wrong tree with this update :confused: the speed test does not lie.

I'll say though, apart from that issue (now that Apple have actually admitted that it is one) the iPhone 4 absolutely slays anything else on the market in terms of what I want from a mobile device. The retina display is incredible - color saturation, contrast and sharpness are all right there. The rear camera quality for both still shots and 720p HD video is fantastic, finally a company that doesn't buy into the 'more megapixels = better images' bullshit. The speed improvements mean that iOS4 runs amazingly smoothly, even with 10 or more applications open, and the new Gyroscope looks like it'll bring a lot of seriously cool games/applications to the phone (as shown below with Eliminate: Gun Range):

YouTube - iPhone 4 with Eliminate Gun Range.mp4
Actually, not to piss on your parade, but color saturation on the iPhone 4 isn't that great, only rates 67% according to this:

Expert Says iPhone 4 Has the Best Smartphone Display

It's kind of odd they call it the "best display" yet continuously compare it to the Droid in the article, and it basically fails a couple of the tests. It's got an alright contrast ratio, but again, it's compared to the Droid, which also has an IPS screen with a decently high res screen, and it falls short...

I will say this though, the pixels are so fine, even with my perfect vision, I can't get close enough to see them without going cross-eyed. And the phone is fast, fast as fuck. It's definitely the best iPhone yet.

Also, on the antenna issue, Anandtech did a comprehensive test on it, and found the reason why a lot of people don't have the issue or don't realize it. It only effects people in poor signal areas. The bars also aren't proportional to signal degradation, the 5th bar represents 40% of the acceptable range, while the rest only represent a small percentage of the range each. If you're in a poor signal area, and you do the death-grip, you will drop signal, but if you're right next to a tower, you'll likely be fine.

·
badman
378 Posts
Well they've compared it to two Droids in the test, but it looks like you've stacked them up as one Super Droid against the iPhone there...maybe i'm just tired :lol: You said it fails a couple of tests but I don't see that? Sure, on paper The Droid X has better color accuracy but it doesn't match the brightness or contrast of the iPhone 4, and the Droid Incredible is as over-saturated as the iPhone is under-saturated (which I'm tempted to say is actually worse), is limited to a 16-bit display and has a contrast ratio and brightness level that makes it 'very difficult to view outdoors' according to the article.

To me it's all a bit academic, because when you've got a giant light source beaming down onto your screen lab results mean little (although the Droid Incredible does look suspect for outdoor use with that low brightness level and ridiculous contrast), but I think it's fair to say the iPhone 4's a pretty decent all rounder on paper.

One thing I thought I'd add: I'm sure it's the same with other phones too, but it's one of the reasons I really like buying Apple products. I was using an iPhone 3GS before getting the iPhone 4 (the 4 was a cheap upgrade)...I took the phone home, removed it from the box, connected it to my laptop and pretty much one click later - contacts, calendar, email, text messages, all phone settings (!) including stored wi-fi keys, photos, applications and music...all copied straight across to the iPhone 4 and ready to go. So simple and so effortless :yesway: :wub:

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Well they've compared it to two Droids in the test, but it looks like you've stacked them up as one Super Droid against the iPhone there...maybe i'm just tired :lol: You said it fails a couple of tests but I don't see that? Sure, on paper The Droid X has better color accuracy but it doesn't match the brightness or contrast of the iPhone 4, and the Droid Incredible is as over-saturated as the iPhone is under-saturated (which I'm tempted to say is actually worse), is limited to a 16-bit display and has a contrast ratio and brightness level that makes it 'very difficult to view outdoors' according to the article.

To me it's all a bit academic, because when you've got a giant light source beaming down onto your screen lab results mean little (although the Droid Incredible does look suspect for outdoor use with that low brightness level and ridiculous contrast), but I think it's fair to say the iPhone 4's a pretty decent all rounder on paper.

One thing I thought I'd add: I'm sure it's the same with other phones too, but it's one of the reasons I really like buying Apple products. I was using an iPhone 3GS before getting the iPhone 4 (the 4 was a cheap upgrade)...I took the phone home, removed it from the box, connected it to my laptop and pretty much one click later - contacts, calendar, email, text messages, all phone settings (!) including stored wi-fi keys, photos, applications and music...all copied straight across to the iPhone 4 and ready to go. So simple and so effortless :yesway: :wub:
They're not comparing to the droid x when they talk color representation and contrast ratio, they're coomparing it to the older original droid :lol:

·
with a Shotgun
925 Posts
"It just works" ;)

The new iphone looks really nice. I love the new design and all that (have always hated that cheap plastic look shaped as a soap :ugh:)

I loved my old iphone too.

I got to say though, after moving over to android I'm NEVER going back to the iphone. Not as long as they keep that nazi-controlled system at least.

It's just such a relief to be able to make the phone work the way I want instead of just have it like Steve Jobs likes it.

Ive already swithed out the sms app, keyboard, music app and added additional stuff that never would be allowed on the iphone. Combined with nice features as drag and drop files to the phone, standard usb interface (didn't have to buy a new overpriced charger to have at work just because of a stupid interface) and so on. Android just kills iphone for me.

It's like playing your first guitar, a cheap strat copy or something and you think it's the greatest thing. Then you pick up a high end guitar. It's hard to go back to the strat copy after that..

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Swype: only on Droids. And it beats the shit out of every other keyboard out there. Plus, I don't have to be on AT&T.

·
badman
378 Posts
They're not comparing to the droid x when they talk color representation and contrast ratio, they're coomparing it to the older original droid :lol:
We're looking in two different places then - I'm looking at the PCMag tests that the article is actually discussing, comparing the Droid X, iPhone 4, Incredible and Evo: Is The iPhone 4's LCD the Best? - Contrast | PCMag.com

If you tack on Gizmondo's tests for the original Droid then I'm sure it does fare better than the iPhone 4 in some areas (it looks like it also fares better than the Droid X and the others too)...but like I said, I guess I just don't really care which display has the ultimate contrast ratio in a lab test, it all seems a bit academic to me when using it outside under bright light :lol: regardless of whether it's the best (or not), I sure dig the new iPhone display :yesway:

Swype: only on Droids. And it beats the shit out of every other keyboard out there. Plus, I don't have to be on AT&T.
That sucks for America :fawk: a dodgy antenna and AT&T - has anyone in the US actually managed to make a call since buying the phone? :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I must be the only person on the planet that doesn't care for Swype. At all. I still use Better Keyboard with the iPhone skin, and am quite happy with it. Unfortunately I'm stuck on Verizon, otherwise I'd have a Nexus One on T-Mo. As much as I dig the iPhone 4, I wouldn't want AT&T either.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
I must be the only person on the planet that doesn't care for Swype. At all. I still use Better Keyboard with the iPhone skin, and am quite happy with it. Unfortunately I'm stuck on Verizon, otherwise I'd have a Nexus One on T-Mo. As much as I dig the iPhone 4, I wouldn't want AT&T either.
Actually, I hated Swype. I haven't tried the newest version, but I'd by far rather use the hardware keyboard than Swype.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.