Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So tomorrow will be Apple's 'Back to the Mac' event, and I'm interested in seeing what they introduce in relation to the Macbook Air.

I don't know how I feel about 13" and smaller screens (never used one) but since I don't use laptops for anything intensive, and I need a new one for the new year, I may get a current, or next gen Air depending on price.

Even though there's no chance in hell, what would be killer would be a Macbook Air with a touchscreen that rotates a-la tablet PC, and duel boots OSX and iOS.

I'd totally be first in line for that shit. :lol:

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Cant wait!

(For 900$ Netbooks)

Actually, im still curious to see what they come out with. I like really tiny laptops for some reason (13" and smaller) so it'd be cool to see what Apple's take on it is.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
I'd like to see a good refresh of the Mac Pro line, and it would be cool to see them introduce a midrange computer in the Mac Pro format. Honestly I think their current Mac lineup is nice as hell already, I love my 2010 Mac Mini.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
It's not going to be a $900 netbook. 11" screen != netbook. Apple would never use the shitty Atom processor; they'd stick with some sort of low voltage Core chip. It would likely use SSD of some sort, not a spinning disk.

I love small laptops. I'm traveling right now with a 15", and it's a pain in the ass. I wish I would have brought my 13".

I'd like to see a good refresh of the Mac Pro line, and it would be cool to see them introduce a midrange computer in the Mac Pro format. Honestly I think their current Mac lineup is nice as hell already, I love my 2010 Mac Mini.
I would LOVE a mini tower with at least two 3.5" drive bays and a regular graphics card. Sadly, I doubt it'll ever happen.

I love the Mini too. We have a Mini Server at work which is really cool.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
It'd be nice if the new desktops and Xserves had an e-sata port on them....

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
It'd be nice if the new desktops and Xserves had an e-sata port on them....
QFTMFT.

eSATA is awesome. Though what I really, really want is Lightpeak. Starts at 10Gbps, scales to 100Gbps, can do pretty much any peripheral.

·
18,790 Posts
What with the introduction of Pro Tools HD Native (which isn't really native, but is still slightly cheaper and uses a smaller card), I'd love to see a smaller/cheaper Mac tower. I love my iMac, but you simply can't use Pro Tools HD with it :lol: I'm not sure I'd buy one any time soon, but it would open up a whole new area to them that other companies are getting into (the smaller, pro-level audio/video editors).

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
The new MacBook Air looks pretty sweet. About friggin' time they dropped the prices on those. I've been talking a friend of mine out of buying one for a couple of years now, and she just bought a loaded 13" MacBook Pro. She's gonna hate me. :ugh:

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
I'm not sure what I think about the new Mac App Store business....but I hope that they don't make it the only way to install programs in the future. That would SUCK.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I'm sorry, but all of these resolutions still suck.

MBA tech specs 11" said:
Supported resolutions: 1366 by 768 (native), 1344 by 756, 1280 by 720, 1024 by 576 pixels at 16:9 aspect ratio; 1152 by 720, 1024 by 640, and 800 by 500 pixels at 16:10 aspect ratio; 1024 by 768, 800 by 600, and 640 by 480 pixels at 4:3 aspect ratio; 720 by 480 pixels at 3:2 aspect ratio
MBA tech specs 13" said:
upported resolutions: 1440 by 900 (native), 1280 by 800, 1152 by 720, 1024 by 640, and 800 by 500 pixels at 16:10 aspect ratio; 1024 by 768, 800 by 600, and 640 by 480 pixels at 4:3 aspect ratio; 720 by 480 pixels at 3:2 aspect ratio

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
1366x768 is pretty standard "720p" for a lot of older TVs.

1440x900 is the resolution on the standard 15" MBPs.

The new 11" Air looks great; I'm just worried about the quoted 5-hour battery life. That means like two hours real-world usage.

Say what you will about the Atom (yes, it's slow; yes, it's cheap) but it's hard to get away from a combined 12W CPU/chipset draw in an ultra-small notebook.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'm not sure what I think about the new Mac App Store business....but I hope that they don't make it the only way to install programs in the future. That would SUCK.
That's my biggest concern as well, but it said in the presentation that the App store will not be the only source of OS X apps. Phew.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
1440x900 is the only one that's even remotely usable, and for that price (and this day and age) 1680x1050 should be easily doable for under a grand. Anything less than that is shitty. I know this, because I've used, and owned every size MBP now. :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Dude, it's an 11" screen! I used a 9" netbook with 1024x600 resolution for a year and a half. THAT's hard to work with.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Dude, it's an 11" screen! I used a 9" netbook with 1024x600 resolution for a year and a half. THAT's hard to work with.
Dude, my 3.5" iPhone screen is 960x640. :lol:

Do you have any idea how shitty it is to write code on 1366x768? It's sucktastic.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No backlit keyboard, and the price point for the 13 is a little higher than I had hoped for.

In CDN dollars, the basic 13" macbook air is $1349.

The basic 13" Macbook Pro is $1249.

Twice as much RAM, better spec'd processor, backlit keyboard, etc.

And then there are the refub MBP options as well.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
No backlit keyboard, and the price point for the 13 is a little higher than I had hoped for.

In CDN dollars, the basic 13" macbook air is $1349.

The basic 13" Macbook Pro is $1249.

Twice as much RAM, better spec'd processor, backlit keyboard, etc.

And then there are the refub MBP options as well.
That's always been the way though with the Air. It's just now there's an 11" model that hits a niche they haven't really done yet. it sucks that the keyboard isn't backlit... but the battery life isn't exactly going to be spectacular anyways :(

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
The new 11" Air looks great; I'm just worried about the quoted 5-hour battery life. That means like two hours real-world usage.
I wouldn't be worried about it. Every Apple product I've had since late 2008 has gotten the claimed battery life, except the iPad which gets slightly more.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts