Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
I knew the answer before I finished reading the title. Yes. And they don't even give discounts to businesses.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
No, they have some good tools for good prices. That said, many of them are, unfortunately.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Well for the price of a Shitty English Metalcore shirt you can get 8 thrift store shirts to clean your car.

But sometimes you pay for the name.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Well for the price of a Shitty English Metalcore shirt you can get 8 thrift store shirts to clean your car.

But sometimes you pay for the name.
:flame:

:rofl:

·
Temporary Autonomous Zone
582 Posts
I dont necessarily agree with "ALL" tools, but...uh......yeah. MANY of them.

One stew mac tool substitute I read was for a fret leveler. Go to Lowes or wherever and buy a marble threshold and they'll cut it for you....10 bux or so.

Post your stew mac tool substitutes!

·
AVH Guitar Repair
327 Posts
Look at this bullshit. :lol:

$80 on Stewmac for a notched straight edge:
STEWMAC.COM : Notched Straightedge

I got mine from this guy on eBay. $18.99 and made in the USA:
Guitar Neck Straight Edge Notched Luthiers Tool | eBay

Aaaannd...

$25 for the Stewmac fret rocker:
STEWMAC.COM : Fret Rocker

vs. $8 on eBay from the same guy:
Guitar Fret Rocker Level Tool Luthiers Tool | eBay
I bought the 27/30" notched SE from them as SMac doesn't make that particular size, and while it's well made from thinner aluminum, it's not anywhere near the SMac versions for durability and rigidity - which are made from lazer-cut heavy stainless steel. The aluminum version also won't sit upright by itself on the fingerboard, which is handy (as it were). Their aluminum fret rocker, same deal, and doesn't 'sound out' the high frets as well as the heavier steel SMac version either.

Don't get me wrong, those are well made and great value for the money, but for a professional shop I will always pay for the durabilty.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
Some of their stuff is so specialty i cant find it anywhere else. If anyone can find the 1/4 shank ballbearings they have, let me know and i'l buy a gross.
$5 for one isnt the killer, its the $8 shipping cost for sending me something the size of a tic tac.

·
Nerdington Willoughby
1,537 Posts
Wow, I wish I had seen these on eBay earlier. I could have saved myself some work. I made my own notched straightedge using a straightedge from the art store and my Dremel tool to make notches in it. And I made my own fret rockers by cutting a straightedge into different length pieces.

Look at this bullshit. :lol:

$80 on Stewmac for a notched straight edge:
STEWMAC.COM : Notched Straightedge

I got mine from this guy on eBay. $18.99 and made in the USA:
Guitar Neck Straight Edge Notched Luthiers Tool | eBay

Aaaannd...

$25 for the Stewmac fret rocker:
STEWMAC.COM : Fret Rocker

vs. $8 on eBay from the same guy:
Guitar Fret Rocker Level Tool Luthiers Tool | eBay

1 - 20 of 24 Posts