Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tell us how you really feel about 8s lol.

I was just wondering because in a write up for a fortin amp..... the satan I think... it mentions something about being well suited for 8s.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Tightness and a lack of bottom end I guess :shrug: I can imagine a Rectifier, for example, sounding fucking awful with an 8 string, where as most Engl models would sound great I bet.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Having owned an 8 string Matt is correct about the bottom end part. You pretty much want to try and achieve a tight but smooth sound. Tight to manage the bass and smooth because on the extended scale (especially on my M80M which was 29.4) the high strings can get pretty harsh sounding. It was pretty difficult to achieve if I'm honest, even on the Axe FX with all the options available I found it hard to achieve a tone that sounded good to me across the whole guitar. I think a lot of 'good' 8 string sounds are a lot to do with the bass guitar. Meshuggah in particular - their sound is hugely centered around the bass.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Tightness and a lack of bottom end I guess :shrug: I can imagine a Rectifier, for example, sounding fucking awful with an 8 string, where as most Engl models would sound great I bet.
what does a lack of bottom end mean?

are there any specs or things that suggest these qualities? e.g. type of tube, solid state etc

Or is it tough to pin down and more of a thing you'd find out in demos/reviews

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
Lack of a power supply and/or instrument input.
When I saw the thread title I was going to say a studded metal faceplate and lots of red lights, but it seems redundant now :)

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Tell us how you really feel about 8s lol.

I was just wondering because in a write up for a fortin amp..... the satan I think... it mentions something about being well suited for 8s.
They're just marketing towards a certain crowd. Any amp can handle an 8. I'd suggest that the biggest factor is the speaker cab's ability to handle the low frequencies.

Remember that many bass heads run off 6L6's, some of which ended up being used as guitar amps, famously.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Definitely agree with Leon here. Pretty much any amp will do. Something with a large power section would probably be best, but for what it's worth I played through a 20 watter with my 8 and had no problem.

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Buy a Mesa JP-2C and engage the "Shred" Mode then commence.

·
18,790 Posts
Depends on the sound you're going for. The guitarist in my old band sounded beastly through a 1983 JCM800 and 1960a cab, with a modded TS9 and a Sonic Maximizer. That was with a Schecter Hellraiser 8. I will say, his Loomis sounded way better.

·
Banned
3,696 Posts
if i was using an 8 i would probably run the bass on the amp very low so it doesnt get flubby, and put a graphic EQ in the loop to bring it back up so things don't sound thin and harsh. Thats kind of how Mesa Marks work, and how i dial mine in in drop A.

But it will be quite difficult to achieve a balanced tone across the whole fretboard, as Nick said.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Any amp will do. Look at Tosin now, currently touring with an epic Morgan SW50 + pedals rig and it sounds amazing. Guitar Center uploaded his setup on Youtube recently.

I still love 8 strings, I just wish I could play them without them feeling like an alien oddity to me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts