Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm trying to get the highest output signal from my HD500 as I can. Those familiar with the unit know it has dual balanced XLR outs. The unbalanced 1/4 output(s) sums the stereo output signal to mono for a louder signal (which is ultimately what I'm trying to do), but I've read that an unbalanced signal is 6db quieter than a balanced signal. My HD1221 obviously has a balanced input jack, but the two XLR outputs on the HD500 don't sum the outputs when using one output jack - it only ever sends one side of the signal. So my question is can/should I use something like this:

Pro Co Y Mic Cable Male XLR to (2) Female XLR | GuitarCenter

to sum the XLR outputs, getting the mono summed signal and the 6db louder output from the balanced output(s)? I've read some conflicting information online so I wanted to ask here with the folks that are much more knowledgable than me.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Why not ask the Line6 forum? You'd get a definite answer from someone who works for Line6 that way.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Stereo signals aren't summed for a louder output signal. They're summed so you get both parts of the stereo image going down one cable. The "unbalanced" signal refers to the 1/4" outputs. XLR outputs are "balanced". It has nothing to do with mono vs. stereo.

Using an XLR Y-adapter can't really do any harm, and you'll find that balanced cables are more resistant to noise.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
IIRC when I had an HD500 you have to into the Mixer portion and pan both signal chains to center. it makes the output a lot louder and fuller.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IIRC when I had an HD500 you have to into the Mixer portion and pan both signal chains to center. it makes the output a lot louder and fuller.
That is correct. However even after the mixer with both "channels" panned center, there are still separate left and right paths each corresponding to the respective XLR output. My HD1221 is not loud enough at band practice even with the master dimed, but my buddies axe-fx is PLENTY loud enough. So I'm just trying to get as much volume as possible, I figured using a y-cable was an option. :shrug:

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
on the back of the unit there is a little output volume knob. I never had problems driving an amp with mine which is why its strange to me that you are having trouble with it.

Oh wait that was the 400 I had. I guess you have the master turned full up then?

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I seem to remember that in each patch there is a patch volume and an amp master volume. Where are those settings set?

Also have you tried different cables? Is there a Pad function on the 1221 that is engaged for the input you are using?

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Are you not loud enough to be heard over your drummer, or your other guitarist? Is your monitor on the floor or at ear-level?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No I am not loud enough, monitor is on floor

Hd1221 powered monitor/wedge

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SHIT...I just figured it out...

the reason the axe-fx is plenty loud and the hd500 is quiet is because the axe-fx outputs are LINE level (Yeks How Tos - Fractal Audio Systems Wiki) and the XLR balanced outputs on the hd500 are MIC level which as I understand is less hot...the hd1221 input is designed for a LINE level input (http://www.mackie.com/products/hd1221/pdf/hd1221_om.pdf), so the mic level input is much quieter...

...shit.

Now I have a conundrum :lol: I'll have to figure out the best route to go, my question is - is it bad/wrong to send a line level UN-balanced signal (1/4" output on hd500) into a line level balanced input (hd1221 input)?

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
No you wont have a problem :yesway:

is the switch on the top of yours set to amp or line?

Try line and see if that fixes it first.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
So the solution is to get a decent mic preamp and put it inline between your POD and the Mackie.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts