Metalguitarist.org banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First wanna say I'm a first timer here and additionally new to all things related to metal guitar pickups. I've got a project in mind using a Harley Benton Sc 1000 w/actives as a modding platform. So trying to keep the budget down. Initially I was (and probably still will) gut the thing and install passives. That's until I got distracted by the attached actives by Artec. I don't know much about the output of active pickups and it seems to be a carefully guarded secret among many manufacturers. Can someone look at these things and take a guess how those outputs may perform?
https://clandestineguitars.com/en/t...e-artec-hmdc135-act-active-humbucker-pickups/

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,732 Posts
First wanna say I'm a first timer here and additionally new to all things related to metal guitar pickups. I've got a project in mind using a Harley Benton Sc 1000 w/actives as a modding platform. So trying to keep the budget down. Initially I was (and probably still will) gut the thing and install passives. That's until I got distracted by the attached actives by Artec. I don't know much about the output of active pickups and it seems to be a carefully guarded secret among many manufacturers. Can someone look at these things and take a guess how those outputs may perform?
https://clandestineguitars.com/en/t...e-artec-hmdc135-act-active-humbucker-pickups/
EMG's 81 is 10kohm

Those say 6kohm in the description. Those are most likely along the lines of that DRAGONFIRE stuff, cheap Chinese knockoff crap.

I would just get used EMGs. They go for great prices used since the market is flooded due them coming on many guitars stock.

You can get most of the standard models of any in the big 3 for like $30-40 used tops here in the states.

·
Super Moderator
23,430 Posts
1) Welcome! :wavey:

2) You'll find out quickly how they sound when it arrives.

3) Plan to yank them anyways. Anything that cheap will either sound like crap, or will crap out on you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, figured as much but active pickups I know nothing of. I'm an American in Spain so I can tell you the used gear market is nothing compared to the US. Budget pickups like Irongear and Tonerider are readily available here in Europe so I'll probably roll with one of those two.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Irongear are pretty solid pickups for the money actually. The real sleeper pickup on a budget is the Entwistle HDN.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was just checking out that website and while looking at some of the guitar parts a stumbled across this "JEM" Neck they offer.
Well... that fretwork is some JEM alright! MY GOODNESS! Mastil-jem-rosa-2.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I exchanged an email with Alan Entwisle. They say those HDN's are not good for sloppy players. I'm the Oscar Madison of guitar.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Irongear are pretty solid pickups for the money actually. The real sleeper pickup on a budget is the Entwistle HDN.
I have an Entwhistle Dark Star 7 and that thing rips for the price. If I was ever buying budget priced pickups, it would be Entwhistle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After revisiting Entwisle they're certainly in the running. Their website is not current and I was told they are redoing it but I was offered an opportunity to buy direct. The Dark Star ND/HDN set is tempting.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Yea id saw if you want actives on the cheap, get a trusty EMG 81/60 or 81/85 set. Tons of people have them laying around in their drawers so look around on facebook gear groups/marketplace and what not.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The second hand gear market in Europe (especially Spain) is nothing like the US. They don't even sale used guitars in guitar shops. Finding used EMG's on the cheap here doesn't happen.

·
Drunk Canuck
1,538 Posts
What's it like being able to buy an Engl for less than a Mesa? :lol:
Doesn't matter by the time the band drowns you out :rofl:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm a bit fearful of the Entwisle HDN's. Not sure that might expose the weaknesses in my playing but perhaps a Dark Star bridge (ceramic 16k)/ HV Plus neck (Alnico V 9.5k) would be a good combo if the price is right.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
I'm a bit fearful of the Entwisle HDN's. Not sure that might expose the weaknesses in my playing but perhaps a Dark Star bridge (ceramic 16k)/ HV Plus neck (Alnico V 9.5k) would be a good combo if the price is right.
The Darkstar is a great pickup for $35... I mean, getting any brand new pickup that's good for $35 is mind blowing. If that price isn't right, then the budget is wrong. I totally get not dropping $250 for a Bare Knuckle, but a good Duncan can be had used for $50-100. So, to get anything useful at $35 is a deal.

I found anything that exposed my weaknesses eventually made me a better player because of it. Ymmv
:hesright:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's not that I'm looking to break the 30 euro barrier. One can buy Artecs all day long for 20 euros but I'm mostly focusing on Irongear, Tonerider and Entwisle. I haven't discounted Warman either. One of my goals is to assemble something that is distinctly different than an LP style guitar I have that is equipped with Tonerider A4's which are great. Their Octane Alnico 8 is tempting but may be a bridge too far. It really comes down to the Irongear Hot Slag/ Rolling Mill, the Tonerider Generators and some combination by Entwisle.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
The second hand gear market in Europe (especially Spain) is nothing like the US. They don't even sale used guitars in guitar shops. Finding used EMG's on the cheap here doesn't happen.
You can. I would say to check UK listings but with brexit screwing the pooch that's probably not a great idea.

I can't remember the last time I paid over £70 for an emg set used.

In fact I got an 81/60 set for £54 on Facebook a couple of weeks back ( £4 of that was shipping)

Also with regards to Entwistle the HDN is great. But if you want something a bit more forgiving try the nemesis afg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts