Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across a cringe-inducing interview with Nuno at NAMM one year (I'll post it when I can find it again), about his signature Randall amp, and it just smacked of "I don't use this fucking shit, just give me money".

There are also reports from people who have attended live shows who have seen a Marshall JCM rig tucked behind his wall of signature Randalls :lol:

It just got me thinking, it's an interesting subject considering the business structure. Forgive my ignorance, but it works on sales royalties, right? If a company makes you a signature model, you get a chunk every time they sell one? That's great if you actually like/use it. But what of those like Nuno? Why the fuck did they even make a signature that they weren't happy with? "Money" can't be the only answer surely... I don't think I could live with having a piece of gear that represents me if I wasn't 100% behind it, even if it brought cash my way.

I'm sure there are other examples?

I mean, there's always the classic one - The artist may have a "signature model" but they use a much higher quality version of it. That one happens a lot of course, especially if there's a scale in the product line (i.e. import vs USA made or whatever) You're essentially getting a replica of the one they actually use, rather than it being a true signature model. This one makes more sense to me as it comes down to affordability.

But the Nuno version... that's just lame...

·
Imp Slap
2,033 Posts
I don't know how much he likes it or doesn't like it, but in this video, it seems like Brent Hinds knows nothing about his signature amp. Also, I always thought it was weird that he had an Orange deal, because in everything I've seen, the guy still records and tours with old JMPs.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
Matt Heafy Epiphone came to mind. I'm pretty sure he doesn't rock an Epiphone. :lol:

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found it

Nuno starts his bullshit peddling at 4:13.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Vai's Carvin stuff comes to mind. When you run as much processing as he does, does it really matter after a point? :lol:

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, if anybody can actually find me a good-sounding demo of the Nuno Randall I would really appreciate it. Looked at about 8 now, all of which were totally uninspiring.

Vai's Carvin stuff comes to mind. When you run as much processing as he does, does it really matter after a point? :lol:
He actually used it though, didn't he?

·
I have angered the Noodles
2,662 Posts
When Nuno says they have a gun to his head to show his amplifier it reminds me a lot of Galaxy Quest. It is that scene where they are doing the ribbon cutting for that Tech Superstore, and the guys are all just totally phoning it in, but the owners are behind them with the big dumb grins. It feels exactly like that.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
Also: pretty much all of the LTD artist signature line. Pretty sure they're ESP with the LTD stamp on them.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Dimebag:

Have you heard the original Randall Warhead? That thing is a huge pile of shit. He would have a wall or Randall Warhead stacks but his real rig was always backstage. Im sure he also never used the mxr Dime distortion.

I will also go out on a stretch and say that Kirk Hammet never uses his signature Randall amp (aside from playing at a baseball game). Pretty sure they are using all axe fx live and what not.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dimebag:

Have you heard the original Randall Warhead? That thing is a huge pile of shit. He would have a wall or Randall Warhead stacks but his real rig was always backstage. Im sure he also never used the mxr Dime distortion.

I will also go out on a stretch and say that Kirk Hammet never uses his signature Randall amp (aside from playing at a baseball game). Pretty sure they are using all axe fx live and what not.
Oh shit, I totally forgot about Dime :lol: Yeah, the Warhead is garbage. He also continued to use the Bill Lawrence L500XL long after his Seymour Duncan signature was released. There are instances of him using it, but not widely across the board.

The Kirk one is weird - A longtime Marshall/Mesa user, all of a sudden comes out with a Randall sig?
Same goes for Scott Ian for that matter. Marshall guy all his life, then a Randall sig comes out, and within a matter of months he's endorsing EVH 5150's :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Matt Heafy Epiphone came to mind. I'm pretty sure he doesn't rock an Epiphone. :lol:
He's got one of his Epiphones in all of the live pics I've seen, but I'm sure he records with his Gibson LPC in the studio.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Dimebag:

Does it really sound worse than the Randall RG100 he used since the beginning? I've never played a solid state Randall that didn't sound like complete dogshit.

I'm pretty sure Kirk still uses his 2ch Racktifiers live. They just use the AxeFX stuff for television shows where stage volume is an issue.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Does it really sound worse than the Randall RG100 he used since the beginning? I've never played a solid state Randall that didn't sound like complete dogshit.
Dogshit describes Dime's tone perfectly, so...

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Dogshit describes Dime's tone perfectly, so...
Seriously. The dude could play his ass off, but his tone was always awful. He finally got a tube amp, and it was the most awful tube amp in existence. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Seriously. The dude could play his ass off, but his tone was always awful. He finally got a tube amp, and it was the most awful tube amp in existence. :lol:
:agreed: I disagree with you on a TON of things (which shouldn't be a surprise, since you shit on 99% of everything), but I couldn't agree with you more here.

I love Dime's playing and I think Pantera was a great band, but the first time I heard Pantera, I thought it was an ice pick in my ear and couldn't even consider the riffs. It was on a compilation album with something like 18 songs by different bands and the Pantera track's tone was so much treble and upper mids that I couldn't imagine how anyone could think that tone was good. To be honest, I have no idea what song it was, since I sold that CD back in 2001 or so, but I eventually listened to Pantera and just kind of came to tolerate Dime's tone (much like I eventually listened to Dream Theater and came to tolerate LaBrie's vocals).

I do remember, though, that way back when I played metal with a solid state amp (around 2002-2004 or so), everyone always brought up Dimebag as the example of a metal guitarist who played with a solid state amp.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
What about the Dimebuckers? Never heard one I liked, but see people raving about them all the time...

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
What about the Dimebuckers? Never heard one I liked, but see people raving about them all the time...
Man, no one uses those. As Mattayus said, even Dime used the Lawrence L500XL. I normally am not a fan of high gain pickups, but those original Lawrences were great.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I was pretty surprised to see that Petrucci got a signature amp from Mesa before Hetfield, but I gather swimming in pools of The Black Album money means you can afford to just not give a fuck :lol:

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It was just a mega-modded JCM800. That kept melting if you pushed it too hard :lol:

Funny story about Krank actually (as if we need more)... I once bought an amp from a dude who roadied for Shadows Fall during a UK leg of their tour one year. He said they were both "endorsed" by Krank at the time (this is when Krank was throwing money at its endorsees to play their amps!) and apparently they'd just ripped the guts out of their heads and put a 5150 chassis inside it :lol:

1 - 20 of 71 Posts