Metal Guitarist Forums banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Every time I see a JSX I sit down and think "oh yeah, the Satch amp". Then I'm immediately disappointed because the JSX fucking sucks. It gets me every time, too.
Well, that'll solve me the trouble of playing one, then. :lol: Come to think of it I think I actually did once to and I think the gain channel DID remind me of a slightly less gainy XXX. Admittedly that makes it better than an XXX, but considering Satriani wanted it primarily to be a pedal platform, the gain channels being kind of ho-hum shouldn't be a surprise.

If I think of it I'll pull out Strange Beautiful Music and see if I can tell you which albums featured the 5150, but off the top of my head I think it made a couple tracks on Crystal Planet.

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Every time I see a JSX I sit down and think "oh yeah, the Satch amp". Then I'm immediately disappointed because the JSX fucking sucks. It gets me every time, too.
That's crazy. Because I know two guys who have made them sound amazing.

Like these guys:

Peavey JSX and a Orange 2x12 Cabinet.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
You can make anything sound good in a professional mix, because a great bass/drum mix will carry even the shittiest tone. Look how guys like Ola/Fluff/etc make everything sound great.

This is a more accurate representation:

Find me a spot in that video that you think sounds good.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
:agreed:

I can't say I miss mine by any stretch of the imagination, but you can guarantee I'd have another if I had the money spare.
This is exactly how I feel about them. I've had like four? I crank it and go "oh fuck yeah there it is!" And then I slowly get bored of it doing that one thing, and having that one feel, and having like... absolutely hollow low mids, and then I want to move onto something else. Rinse and repeat about once every five years :lol:

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
This is exactly how I feel about them. I've had like four? I crank it and go "oh fuck yeah there it is!" And then I slowly get bored of it doing that one thing, and having that one feel, and having like... absolutely hollow low mids, and then I want to move onto something else. Rinse and repeat about once every five years :lol:
Oddly enough, the hollow low mids is one of the things I fucking love about it, and why I love it so much with a 707 :lol:

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
I grew up with DJM too. :( They were such a great store back then. I got my first guitar/amp at the one in Peabody, MA and every time I'd go in there the staff would make me feel like a rock star. It was such an awesome feeling to 12-year-old me.
Back in the late 80's my father worked at the Nashua and Manchester stores, so in '94 when I started playing and we lived in Nashua, most of the same guys were still there. Exactly the same, they'd treat me like a rockstar. Never gave 12-year old me shit for taking the high end Strats or Ibanez stuff off the walls, would order stuff from other stores for me to try without bugging me to buy it, would track down random shit for me, gave me employee discounts because of my dad, etc. My first good guitar, a MIM Strat, came from there. The manager, Matt, knew exactly who I was into and would tell me when certain pedals popped up. "Hey Andy! I had this shipped to the store because I know you're all about Eric Johnson right now, try this Fuzz Face!", or "Gilmour uses this Boss Compression/Sustainer pedal, check this out, I remember last time you were here you said you wanted longer sustain and while you're here, we've got a bunch of these Boss EQ's, I can give you one for $25."

I've never gotten service like that anywhere else and I was just a kid with a $10-a-week allowance (my dad would still buy my strings weekly though). Actually, back in the late 80's, I think it was Guitar World who had a 'Win Steve Vai's rig!', contest and that some dude Matt won a UV77MC. When my dad told me I made him take me to the store immediately because I wanted to talk to Matt about it. He had sold it since as he thought it was fruity and I was crushed. For the 20 minutes it took to get there I was fantasizing about how I could make money to buy it off him. Man....I miss being 14.

Towards the end of their run I went to one of the stores west of Boston, can't remember which one....not Danvers, but it began with a D. I remember the inventory and state of the store crushed me. It was filthy inside and I could tell the end was coming soon. It's not that they ever took meticulous care of the stores, but it was in rough shape, closer to a shitty pawn shop. When they finally closed the stores I wasn't surprised in the least, but very bummed.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Well, that'll solve me the trouble of playing one, then. :lol: Come to think of it I think I actually did once to and I think the gain channel DID remind me of a slightly less gainy XXX. Admittedly that makes it better than an XXX, but considering Satriani wanted it primarily to be a pedal platform, the gain channels being kind of ho-hum shouldn't be a surprise.

If I think of it I'll pull out Strange Beautiful Music and see if I can tell you which albums featured the 5150, but off the top of my head I think it made a couple tracks on Crystal Planet.
I think he says in that vid I posted that it's been on every album since he got it. Could be wrong, but I seem to recall him saying that. Who knows to what extent.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
I remember Daddy's was one of the first places that you could search for their stuff on the 'net. I bought something from them that way, but I have no idea what. :lol:

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
You're making me wish I brought the JSX on the Dark Roots tour instead as a dare. :lol:

The title track was definitely a 5150.. at least the melody before the octavia solo.

And yeah Satch used the 5150 on every album, a lot more than I expected too. It's definitely all over the last album more than I thought as well.

All the leads were apparently the 5150.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
I remember Daddy's was one of the first places that you could search for their stuff on the 'net. I bought something from them that way, but I have no idea what. :lol:
That's right, totally forgot about that. Before that, well, during as well, but they had the little monthly Used Gear By Mail books they'd send out that I'd stare at for hours while making huge lists of gear I never bought.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts