Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
And i was just about to drop the $$ for an iPad to use at work but i know I would use way more than 2GB :noplease: well now i hope another carrier is added to the iPhone when the iPhone 4 is announced in a few days

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Hmm. I might stick with my $40/mo T-Mobile plan, on my v195s. Fuck Verizon, and now Fuck AT&T, too, apparently :lol:

It's no smartphone, but the battery lasts me a full week with regular usage.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Retarded. While everyone else is busy making unlimited data more accessible, they making it more difficult. Way to try and run yourself out of business.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That IPad change is gay though.
See, that's the thing: on a phone, it's probably not that big of a deal. However on a device that lends itself to video/audio streaming more so like the iPad, it'll be an issue.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
See, that's the thing: on a phone, it's probably not that big of a deal. However on a device that lends itself to video/audio streaming more so like the iPad, it'll be an issue.
Definitely. The idea of using an iPad to watch the news on the morning commuter train got a lot less attractive.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Yes, but offering an "unlimited anything plan" and suddenly scaling it back is a douche move. Sure, the original customers are grandfathered in, but the iPad as a whole just became a lot less attractive to me as I am a very heavy internet user, and spend a lot of time in areas where there is no wi-fi.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Yes, but offering an "unlimited anything plan" and suddenly scaling it back is a douche move. Sure, the original customers are grandfathered in, but the iPad as a whole just became a lot less attractive to me as I am a very heavy internet user, and spend a lot of time in areas where there is no wi-fi.
I'd be willing to bet, at phone upgrade time, the people on the old plan are required to switch to the new plan, as part of the terms for the upgrade.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
That's just lame. But with AT&T already trying to deal with heavy network loads in major urban centres, they needed to do SOMETHING until they can address their capacity issues.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I've got a fix for them: let the iPhone work with other providers!

That'll save them a fuckton of bandwidth :D

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
^
^
If that's the case (which I'm guessing it is) they should have a statement saying that. As it is right now, it just sounds like a random increase to be douche-bags and it could go on indefinitely.

I was speaking to a friend of mine who works for AT&T and he hasn't gotten 100% confirmation on all of this yet, but he did say there's been talk that their bandwidth is getting crowded and one of the ways of addressing it they were leaning toward (instead of increasing their capacity) was to find a way to charge by use to deter people. :noplease:

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
That's just lame. But with AT&T already trying to deal with heavy network loads in major urban centres, they needed to do SOMETHING until they can address their capacity issues.
I thought they had.

In New York, they are offering free Wifi to their customers, to lighten the load on the network. If that works out, they'll expand that to other areas with congested service.

·
Oxygen to CO2 converter
1,957 Posts
AT&T makes sweeping changes to data plans, iPhone tethering coming at OS 4 launch -- Engadget

This includes the iPhone AND iPad 3G.

So basically, they go from unlimited for $30, to 2GB(!) cap for $25. Gee, thanks douchebags.

Now I definitely know I'm keep my Droid and just getting a wifi-only iPad. Fuck AT&T. With a cactus.
Do we know if this is a per phone or per account? I use about 300MB per month and I am a pretty heavy data user. My wife uses about 400MB per month. But we have 4 ATT phones total, and it wasnt clear if this is a per phone change or a total account usage.

I assume per phone since the $30 unlimited data was/is per phone, but it wasnt clear.

They also said that it wont affect 98% of their users since they dont go over 2GB per month so we will see how many people this actually affects. I dont think it will affect me, and I may actually save a few bucks per month. Its nice to see tethering arrive finally.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do we know if this is a per phone or per account? I use about 300MB per month and I am a pretty heavy data user. My wife uses about 400MB per month. But we have 4 ATT phones total, and it wasnt clear if this is a per phone change or a total account usage.

I assume per phone since the $30 unlimited data was/is per phone, but it wasnt clear.

They also said that it wont affect 98% of their users since they dont go over 2GB per month so we will see how many people this actually affects. I dont think it will affect me, and I may actually save a few bucks per month. Its nice to see tethering arrive finally.
I don't think it'll effect iPhone users, but I think it'll effect iPad users, since the device lends itself more to multimedia streaming.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts